“ripped off” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #37 of 102 Hotels in Daytona Beach
georgia
“ripped off”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2009

be careful if you stay here and pay with a debit card. i was charged $75 for 2 damaged bed sheets my dog destroyed. i dont mind paying for the sheets but $75 is a bit rediculous. i also was not notified before they charged my account which caused 2 other purchases to bounce. i was charged fees for these & wasnt reimbursed a dime. because i had pets, i also didnt use their maid service one time.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank emsandy
hoteldaytona, Assistant General Manager at Atlantic Ocean Palm Inn, responded to this review, July 4, 2009
As a representative of the Atlantic Ocean Palm Inn, it is rare and unfortunate to encounter an issue with a guest with blatant disregard to our policies and for our property. We do impose incidental charges for damages to our rooms or property. This is clearly noted at check in time in a brief paragraph that registered guests are asked to read before signing in.

In this particular instance it was not just an issue of some damaged bed sheets. The damages included blood stained sheets along with blood stained pillow cases, a blood stained comforter and an area rug that was soaked through with what we think was dog excrement. In addition to these damaged items, which were all disposed of immediately due to the potentially hazardous fluids that they were covered in, dirty dishes were also left behind. It is clearly noted in our rooms with full kitchens that a fee will be charged for unwashed dishes. This fee was waived as a courtesy in this case. The guest left with no mention that they had caused any damage. We did have to charge the credit card on file after the guest had left in accordance with our policy for damages. The receipt of the transaction was sent to the customer along with a description of the charges and a copy of the registration and policies that the guest had signed. The charge was also professionally explained to the guest when she called in an expletive filled fury. Had this guest notified us of the damages we could have explained the charges right away.

From a manager's and owner's perspective, we must determine fair fees to cover damages. The total of all of the damaged items and time to clean this room after the guest left was well over $150. I feel that the $75 charge was more than fair.

Erica Obrochta
Assistant General Manager
The Atlantic Ocean Palm Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Polish first
Waterloo, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2009

We had a great time. The Inn was clean and the staff was great. We had a wedding on the beach and everyone worked with my son and new daughter-in-law. We will come back. Location was perfect and the value couldn't be beat. A must for everyone!!

Alice Oprych

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2009

My wife and I just returned from our 5th stay at the Atlantic Ocean Palm Inn in Daytona Beach Shores, Florida. Each of our stays is 10 days long, so after spending 50 days with them over the last few years, we believe we can give an accurate review of the motel.

What keeps us coming back each year most importantly is it’s location. The southern area of Daytona Beach is known as Daytona Beach Shores. The area is away from the crowds and heavy traffic found in central Daytona’s Boardwalk section.

Secondly, because it is a smaller, family-owned and operated motel -you have the benefit of dealing with the same friendly people on each visit. We’ve even had the same maid service each time! A wonderful young lady named Kimberly is readily available to attend to our needs.

Other reasons to stay at the Atlantic Ocean Palm Inn include:
1. Spacious, affordably-priced efficiency apartments
2. Very clean, well-maintained grounds and rooms
3. Friendly family atmosphere
4. Beautiful ocean views from the pool area and sundeck
5. A choice of more upscale jacuzzi suites
6. It’s location within walking distance of several restaurants
7. Free wi-fi internet access (even in the pool area)
8. Comfortable beds
9. Optional, tile-floored pet friendly rooms
10. A feature that we’ve come to appreciate over the years is that establishments like this one attract a type of customer we enjoy being around. We have met many fine people and developed friendships with other repeat customers who, like us, return the same time every year.

Now that I have listed what you can expect to find at Atlantic Ocean Palm I think it is important to tell you what you won’t find as well:
1. A huge parking garage with tiny parking spaces that makes it a 10 minute trek to get to your room
2. Loud parties next door and teenagers running up and down hallways at all hours of the night
3. Shady looking people hanging around the parking area and elevators
4. An overcrowded pool area with no seating left
5. A disinterested stranger every time you go to the motel desk
6. A bill so big at the end of your stay you feel that you should be made part owner

After having read other reviews here, I would like to address some of the complaints made by others such as the lack of private balconies or not keeping the office open 24 hours. I can only respond by saying that if what you want is a high-rise hotel with a marble-lined lobby and impersonal 24 hour room service at double or triple the room rates found at the Atlantic Ocean Palm Inn -then clearly you should go somewhere else. But, if value is important to you; value provided by being efficiently run by attentive family members doing their best -then you should consider the Atlantic Ocean Palm Inn for your next vacation destination.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dumas007Indiana
TX
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2009

When booking a business trip we found the hotels near the location we were working would be full most of the week. This hotel came up with a good rating (4 stars while the Hilton ranked only 3.5) and based on the rate (more than the Hilton per night) I figured it was safe to assume this would be a good hotel for my trip.
WRONG!. 1st, this is not a hotel or an Inn. This is a motel. It is way down the road from the main section of town. If it is after dark you check in through a bulletproof security window. The ocean view from the room applied only if I stood at one end of the window and looked out sharply towards the other side. Directly out the window was the side of another hotel. The room smelled strongly of carpet freshener but it was clean. However, it was very simple basic motel furniture. No desk or internet capability for a business traveler. Fine, I can live through this for a night and in the mean time found openings at the Hilton near the venue.
Then I found out about the punitive cancellation policy of this hotel. The entire week had been pre-paid at a rate higher than was posted on their web site and higher than the Hilton or two other nice name brand hotels closer to the venue. And they absolutely would not discuss it. Trying to defend this as normal hotel procedure (I have had to cancel / change reservations at hotels all over the country with no problems.)
Now I can be particular when I am traveling, but I am reasonable. At $169 per night, I have certain expectations and this facility completely failed to meet them. Then their unwillingness to do anything to remedy the situation was completely unacceptable. I feel like their take was they got someone fooled into booking a room at their premium rates and their was no way they were going to give that up.
If I were traveling on vacation with my family this might have been a good motel for $70 to $90 per night. However for a business traveler staying for one week, this was a huge mistake. My co-worker refused to spend even one night here. I ended up spending two nights here then moved to the Hilton @$129/night for the rest of the week. The two don't even compare. I have no idea how this place got a 4star rating unless the owners placed most of the posts that show up on Google Maps.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Traveler25698
Aopimgr, Assistant General Manager at Atlantic Ocean Palm Inn, responded to this review, June 2, 2009
It is our goal at the Atlantic Ocean Palm Inn that all guests, business and leisure traveler’s alike, enjoy their stay with us. It disappoints me to see that we were unable to meet this guest’s expectations. We certainly welcome any constructive comments and suggestions.

I would like to point out that we are not a full service hotel franchise like the Hilton Corporation, which places its multi-million dollar marketing emphasis on business travel. We do not, have not and will not ever claim to be able to contend with one of the largest hotel chains globally. We simply cannot compete with that.

The Atlantic Ocean Palm Inn is an award winning, family owned and operated, ocean front facility with fair pricing and clean ocean view rooms. In addition to our spacious, clean rooms, ocean front pool and sun deck; we do offer free Wi-Fi. In fact, we were one of the first properties on Daytona Beach to have this amenity available to our guests. Our rooms aren’t furnished with full sized desks, but we do have comfortable chairs and tables in each room, which are perfect for a lap top computer, set up. Our lobby hours are from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily, but we do arrange for later check-ins as a courtesy to our guests. We have a 2-diamond rating with AAA, which is the only rating system that we can go by since they have specific criteria and property evaluations. I feel that this rating assures travelers of quality. We are happy to see that Google shows a review rating of 4 stars for us, but that rating system is based on individual guest reviews. Each review and rating is unique to its author and not fabricated by our property.

This particular guest booked a reservation for the Coke Zero race in July through a 3rd party travel agent or booking agency. Unfortunately, we never had contact with this guest until the actual check-in date. 3rd party bookings are handled strictly through the booking agency. During special events our policy clearly states that deposits are non-refundable. The guest did attempt to dispute the charges with their credit card company and it was proven that we did not do anything wrong or unfairly. We clearly list our address, rates and policies prior to any booking so it is up to the traveler to research the distance and best value to suit their needs prior to making reservations. I am happy that the guest was able to find accommodations more suited to their liking and business venue at the Hilton for such a wonderful rate. During special events they are nearly triple the rate mentioned.

I do agree with this guest, our property is not the Hilton. We have never pretended to be. We do offer clean, quality accommodations to leisure and business travelers in a relaxed atmosphere. We offer great economical rates that are very competitive within the area. As this reviewer has pointed out, many past guests feel that we do offer clean, comfortable accommodations and have posted positive personal reviews and high ratings regarding their experiences.

We sincerely appreciate this and all reviews from past guests. We take each comment and suggestion to heart and consider each one very carefully.

Erica Obrochta
Assistant General Manager
The Atlantic Ocean Palm Inn
Cameron, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for the 2009 Daytona 500 weekend. We were able to book the Jacuzzi room with a King Size bed (room 301) with less than two weeks before the event. We arrived at night, but had no problem finding the place. The woman at the counter was very nice and knew exactly who we were when I told her my name, a nice perk to choosing a small hotel.

The hotel is directly on the beach and we enjoyed the view from our room right away. The jacuzzi room has a small kitchenette with a dorm-sized fridge, microwave, coffee maker, small sink, and a hotplate and pans under the cabinet. The bathroom is standard hotel fare with the sink outside of the bathroom, and the toilet and shower/tub in a room next to it. The jacuzzi is in the main part of the room with a great view of the big window and of course the TV (flat screen). The king size bed takes up most of the room, while a table and two chairs are off to the side when you walk in. As hotel rooms go, this is pretty no-fuss, but it was very nice and clean. We definitely LOVED the view as the window looks out onto the ocean and the beach, and gives a great view of the sunrise.

The location of the hotel is within walking distance of plenty of places to eat, such as Denny's, IHOP, Burger King, and a number of local restaurants. We got some great sandwiches from a pizza joint just up the road called Gator's Pizza. If you're in the mood for a bigger restaurant chain, hop in your car and head over the bridge to endless choices of places to eat and shop.

On several occasions, we took the opportunity to walk down the clean, beautiful beach towards a pier about a mile south. You can fish, eat, or just enjoy the views and sounds from there. From what I understand, there are two restaurants on the pier, at least one of which does serve breakfast.

We did not take the opportunity to swim in the pool, but I can say that it looked very clean and clear. It's a standard sized pool, no slide or kiddie area, but very nice. There are also several tables and chairs on a patio on the edge of the property.

The woman who came to do housekeeping was very nice and happily cleaned up our room as we waited. The gentleman who is the general manager was out everyday doing cleanup of the grounds. There is a very large condominium right next door, but it's actually very pretty and isn't an eye sore and doesn't ruin the view of the ocean.
My husband and I were very pleased by this hotel and our stay. We would absolutely stay here again if/when we make it to Daytona Beach Shores again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NCLoverILNative
Up state N.Y.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2009

My family stayed here in 2005 & 2007 we were going to stay here in 2008 but Hurrican Fay dropped by.Asked for a refund but they said they could not but worked it out to give me credit untill aug 2010 which i thought was fare.Very Nice location just steps to the beach.Staff very friendly and nice .

• Liked — Close to beach
  • Disliked — not to clean
  • Stayed August 2007
      Check in / front desk
1 Thank RinkratNY
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2008

From Montreal, Canada

My wife and I spent 15 days (4w Nov.- 1w Dec) . We really liked our stay (quiet, clean room and accommodations). We booked an effeciency room. The price was very reasonnable. We plan to return when the opportunity comes up.

Nice pool side terrace where the sun still shines all day compared to other places where high rise condos block out the sunshine in the afternoon !

• Liked — easy seaside access, clean, economic, friendly , sunny terrace, pool, oceanview
  • Disliked — not much really, on-going repairs and painting did not bother us (we were advised beforehand)
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple