“Horrible place to stay!”

Super 8 Daytona Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #49 of 74 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Reviewed March 15, 2012

My friends and I decided to stay there for spring break. We had looked online and came to found out that the place looked nice ( they obviously set up a room for display) when we arrive at the hotel we new this place was a horrible hotel. The doors didn't lock right, the carpet was dirty and filthy. My friends and I noticed a big blob of blood on he carpet. The towels in the bathroom were yellow, the bathroom didn't look like it had been clean in awhile nor did the room itself! I recommend not to stay here! It's may have a good price tag on it with staying rigt by the beach, but it's very dirty and unsafe! And the people at the desk were very rude and didn't consider thier visitors needs!

• Stayed: March 2012
Lira s, General Manager at Super 8 Daytona Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear valued guest,

I'm sorry that you had these issues with our hotel. You should have had a properly working door, I apologize. I do urge that any assistance needed, to call the front desk, enabling us to rectify the issue immediately.
We shampoo the carpeting regularly but, they are older and worn. The majority of our carpets have that red stain due to a manufacturer error. When the carpets were first shampooed, the dyes from the tag underneath bled through. We are happy to report that we are looking forward to new carpeting toward the end of the year.
We inspect our rooms regularly to ensure that you receive a fresh and clean room. Also, we have a wonderful staff that is generally courteous and helpful. We have no tolerance for uncleanliness and rudeness. I wish I'd have had the opportunity to speak with you on these matters.

Reviewed March 15, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel for the last 10 years,and for the location and rates, find it unbeatable. The staff of Lira,Shari,Carla and John are friendly and always helpful.Housekeeping people like Mary and maintainence people like Juan are great,and do a good job. The rooms are clean,but do need carpeting. I understand renovations are starting in the near future.This is not a 4 star hotel at 200 a night. For the price, it's great. People that want perfect, pay 200 + per night.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Donald D
Lira s, General Manager at Super 8 Daytona Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear valued guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to review us. I'm very grateful that we've had the privilege of accommodating your lodging needs for so many years. I'm glad that you find our rates affordable and that you enjoy our location. I thank you for expressing your positive view on our staff. We are very fortunate to have a staff that shares a common sense that the guest comes first, making them comfortable and at ease. We thrive on our repeat guests and look forward to their next visit. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 7, 2012

Booked this motel on line, for 7nights due to pet friendly policy. This is the nastiest place I have seen. After 11 hours in the car with our 2 very well behaved cats, we opened the door to our room. The ceiling light did not work, the fan in the kitchen and bathroom didn't work. These things I overlooked as we were tired and just wanted to get settled in. Upon further inspection we noticed paint chipping off the walls, terrible black stains on the carpet, draperies dirty and torn. We decided we would make the best of it, at least it was on the beach. Then . . . My cat batted out something from under the dresser and began playing with it. It was a dirty used needle with something still in it. Took me 4 times to the lobby over 3 days to get to speak to the manager. This place needs to be shut down BIG TIME!!!! DO NOT STAY HERE! !!!!

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank lchaney80

Dear valued guest,

I was sorry to hear that your room wasn't in order upon your arrival. We have now taken measures to see that all our rooms have fresh paint. We are happy to report that we will be getting new carpeting in all of our rooms before the year is out.
Our housekeeping staff knows how important it is that they report any appliances that are not working upon cleaning the room. Your lighting should have worked but, there are no fans over the fridge/microwaves.
I was truly sorry to hear about the needle incident. Our dressers have a 2 inch clearance and housekeeping generally goes under furniture when they do a deep clean on the room. They still look along side and behind the furniture. But still, I absolutely understand your being upset in the matter as no one wants to see their beloved pet playing with something of that nature. I'm unsure why you had difficulty contacting me. I am on site everyday but Sunday and would have liked to have spoken with you right away. I thank you for giving us the opportunity to accommodate you on your stay in Daytona Beach and hope you enjoyed all that our city has to offer.

Reviewed March 3, 2012

My husband and I booked this hotel for one night on our drive down to Florida. The pictures online are VERY deceiving. Upon check-in, we were notified that there would be a daily charge for parking. Perhaps this is something that should have been mentioned prior to booking. I believe that it is disgraceful to charge your guests for parking at a hotel that they are already paying for. We were expecting to have a nice, oceanview room (which by the way did not come cheap- we paid $100 for the night). We got a room on the top floor, which was a hassle because we had to carry all of our luggage up the narrow stairs, since the elevator looked like something that was build in the 1920's. We walked down a dark hallway to our room, and once we walked in, we were it total disbelief. The room was the dirtiest, most disgusting room we had ever seen. The walls (which were supposed to be white) we covered in filth and peeling, the carpet was so dirty that I would never dare walk on it barefoot, the beds were covered in filth and had cigarette burns in them, and not to mention BED BUGS. Along with the bed bugs, there were all other sorts of bugs walking around on the walls, and to top it all off, the door did not lock. It looked like what I would imagine a Crack House to look like. My husband and I decided that we just couldn't stay in there another minute. We left our luggage in the room, along with some papers and pocket change that my husband threw on the bed. We left the hotel and went in search of another one, which wouldn't be as disgusting. I felt like I was on an episode of Cops with all the drug addicts walking around begging us for money and drugs. I seriously thought we were going to get shot in that hotel. We went just a few hotels down to the Holiday Inn (which was gorgeous and I would highly reccommend), and booked another room there (we ended up spending an additional $139 for our stay there). Had we known that the Conch House was going to be so disgusting, we would have just booked the Holiday Inn in the first place for the extra $39. We quickly went back to our room at the Conch House to get our luggage and pack it back into the car, and when we walked into our room, the lights did not work. We got our bags, and when we went to take the papers and money off of the bed, all of the money was missing. We went to the front desk, and told the man that we just could not bare to stay there any longer. His response was "Ok, well you know you are going to get charged for this anyway." This is disgusting and unprofessional. He did not even care to know why we were leaving or even try to entertain us by asking us what could have been done to make our stay better (which a professional would have done). I am positive that this hotel is a health hazard and must be in violation of many health codes. The Department of Health should be notified and this hotel should be shut down. Please do NOT believe what you see online and do yourself a big favor and book a different hotel!!!

Room Tip: There aren't any good rooms at this hotel. Do yourself a favor and stay at the Holiday Inn, just...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear valued guest,

I was shocked and dismayed to read your review. I'm very sorry to hear that you had so many complications with your stay. I can understand your irritation with a charge for parking. We have the fee posted on all web sites and if booking direct, the reservationist should disclose the fee at the time of booking. The majority of hotels in Daytona now charge parking fees. We keep a low fee at $3. per day.
We offer low rates. March is one of the busiest months for Daytona, including events such as Bike week and Spring Break. All hotels have elevated rates in March. Even in March, our rates are amongst the lowest on the beach.
It is true that we do not have elevator access but, our staff is more than happy to assist our guests with their luggage to their rooms.
I'm sorry that you found your room to be in such disarray. We have a wonderful housekeeping staff that generally does a thorough cleaning for every room.
I was concerned upon the mention of bugs as we have no tolerance for pests at the Conch House. That's why we contract Orkin, the best pest control company available.
We would never knowingly rent a room that is not secure. This is not a usual occurrence. We would adamantly recommend to all guests to report a door not securing properly right away.
If a guest is dissatisfied with their accommodations at check in, we will usually give a refund. We generally do not give full refunds if the guests are in the room for an extended length of time. We thrive on repeat business and have many guests leave our hotel happy with their stay. I urge anyone that is not satisfied to take one of my business cards and call me direct as your guest satisfaction is important to me. Please accept my sincerest apologies and I hope the rest of your time in Daytona was enjoyable.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

A friend made a reservation based on 3-4 Stars at Orbitz/Travelocity. Are you kidding me? You would have to be totally stoned to give this dump more than a minus. I don't understand how the health department allows a place like this to stay open. One look inside the room and we ran to the front desk. There was a fee to cancel the room, and I'm sure many people do.You are risking your health and life if you stay here. Just read the reviews.

Room Tip: Run, don't walk away
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank CarolinaTraveler
Lira s, General Manager at Super 8 Daytona Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Dear valued guest,

I can understand your dismay, expecting a 3-4 star hotel and arriving at our hotel. We are listed on all sites as a 1 star hotel. Nothing fancy but, affordable and comfortable. By law, the health department checks all hotels. We are regularly issued with positive reports. I thank you for the opportunity to accommodate you and are sorry we were not the hotel you were expecting.

Reviewed January 27, 2012

To say this hotel is in need of some TLC would be like saying a person suffering a gunshot wound could use a couple of aspirin. Booked late for a trip to the 24 Hours of Daytona, chose it because of availability and price....i now know why it was cheap and available.....honestly, I can't think of any possible way to recommend this hotel, except maybe location. It's on the beach, close to Oceanwalk amenities, but you might be better off sleeping in your car in the pay garage across from the Hilton. I've stayed in some sketchy properties before, but this is memorable for just how rundown it is. A shame, actually, given the location, but as it is, avoid it regardless of the price.

Room Tip: You can't find a good room at this hotel....
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank rosebrien

Dear valued guest,

I'm glad you were able to stay with us and get an affordable rate. I'm sorry that our hotel was not to your liking. Yes, we are an older property in need of some cosmetic resurfacing and are a bit outdated. We are working to improve our hotel. We have a wonderful housekeeping staff that generally presents a fresh and clean room allowing our guests to be comfortable and at ease. I'm happy you enjoyed the location as we are in the heart of Daytona Beach. I thank you for taking the time to review us. We appreciate feedback to better serve our guests.

Reviewed January 6, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a few days during the off season and then on our last night we pulled back the sheets only to see a bed bug. The front desk then switched us to another room and there was a cockroach on the wall. We immediately left the hotel and would never stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank dawn n
Lira s, General Manager at Super 8 Daytona Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Dear valued guest,

I thank you for your stay with us. I was sorry to hear on your last night you encountered bugs. After conversing with Orkin, they relayed that there was not a bed bug issue. In the second room, the bug was found to be a palmetto bug. They are native to Florida and do not infest. Sometimes, they find their way into hotel rooms in Florida. I can understand your concern for insects. The staff at Conch House has no tolerance for them as well, which is why we contract the best pest control company available. On your next return trip to Daytona, we sincerely hope you'll visit us again.