“Kind Service/Lackluster Food”

Don Vito's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 377 Restaurants in Daytona Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
Description: Family owned and operated, Don Vito's Italian Restaurant is a fantastic establishment that utilizes traditional recipes and comfortable surroundings to provide patrons with, "A Meal YOU Can't Refuse". Using fifth generation recipes passed down from their grandmothers in the kitchen, the owners sons prepare authentic Italian dishes ranging from all of your favorites to some unique creations that you may not have experienced previously, including PIZZA. All of this is served up in a comfortable dining room with black booths, and a number of pieces of Italian art and movie photos on the wall. Located in the quaint Beach Street area directly on International Speedway Blvd. And across the bridge from the beach, Don Vito's is a must-visit Italian restaurant in Daytona for dine in, take out or catering!
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I really wish I could give them a better rating because the owners were so friendly but the food was just okay. I'm not that familiar with NY Italian restaurants but have been to Italy a number of times and this food was IMHO not very good. We started with salad (generous portion, looked fresh) & soup of the day chicken, broccoli and mushroom (tasty), s.o. ordered spaghetti al vongole and I ordered penne with a meat sauce. The portion was huge but the penne was so overcooked it was almost mush and fell apart on the fork. The sauce was acceptable but the pasta was nowhere in the vicinity of al dente. I tasted his dish and it had a lot of oil and was rather bland. Again, I wish I could honestly rate them higher because the people were so genuinely friendly but I would not recommend.

9  Thank MarieRed
donvitos, Owner at Don Vito's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dearest Marie Red – While I don't think your intent was to be mean spirited, the result,[ a three rating#3], is not good. To para phrase your words, I wish I could be happier in my reply, but I'm not happy now, nor are the three chefs, my sons. We take pride in our attention to detail, but mistakes can happen every now and again, especially with pasta being slightly overcooked. It can happen in an instant if not watched carefully. Here is why I am not happy!! If you had stopped after your Penne Was Mush comment that would be OK. Not Great, but OK. I waited on you and your partner and when asked if all was good, you replied ,Yes Great! THAT was the time to voice your concerns, not vent in a public forum when we could have corrected any problem you experienced. You may have wished you could have rated us higher, but you did a pretty good job tearing it up!! Our sauce is spectacular by most standards and the recipe has been in our family over a 100 years!! Not as describe by you as ACCEPTABLE. As a matter of fact the reviews in front and behind yours stated how great everything was, including the sauces. It sometimes seems that when folks start writing they get a little carried away despite WISHING to provide a higher rating! Our great Grandmother's recipe's from a small town in Sicily are used by us every day. We think we are very humble experts who take great pride in every dish. If there's a problem SPEAK UP and give us the opportunity to correct any problems. We won't hate you and will respect you for it. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but we think we're entitled to correct any problems before they go public. SPEAK UP!! Now I have stated my reply to a correctable unnecessary situation. Oh by the way, I don't think anything you wrote seemed like a humble opinion. Seemed more like a wannabe quasi expert who has visited Italy. Even your Humble substitution of the name Al Vongole for white Clam Sauce?? Oh WELL, Just MY Humble opinion!! Now I suggest you visit other spots in Daytona which are probably dieing for your valued Humble Opinion of their wares. WE don't think we can afford any more of your humble opinions. NOW – Go in Peace and May the Force be with you!! Humble and Perky Barbara C.,Owner

There are newer reviews for Don Vito's Italian Restaurant

Reviewed February 25, 2014

We went into Don Vito's the other evening and truly felt that We were a part of their family. It was nice to have a bit of Queens NY in Daytona FL. From the moment that we sat down we were made to feel that we were their only patrons. Truly a family atmosphere from the baby quietly crying in the back room to the whole family doing everything they could do please us. When the food arrived at the table the portions surpassed our expectations. The baked ziti was smothered in gobs of creamy cheese and saturated in a sinfully delicious tomato sauce. The spaghetti and sausage was some of the best I have had in a long time. For desert!!!
"FORGET ABOUT IT" the homemade cheese cake was to die for. If you like "Juniors" you will love this style melt in your mouth delight. We were there for the first time but for sure we will be back next year.
We did return Monday night for pizza but in true Italian restaurant tradition they were closed. Next year can not come soon enough.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

My husband and I dined here early on Valentine's Day. We were so impressed with everything about the restaurant. Jennifer was adorable and informed us how all the family pitches in to help. Jim made us feel like we were eating at home with our Italian relatives. Jennifer made me the best salad I have ever eaten in an Italian restaurant. All the ingredients were fresh, and loved the extra touch . The portions were very large and my husband loved the spaghetti and homemade meatballs, just like my Italian mother used to make. Delicious. Can't wait to go back on our next visit to Daytona. Oh, the cannoli was the biggest and the best. Thank you to our Pisano's.. PS Gia Bella is a precious daughter/granddaughter.

1  Thank chattypatty036
Reviewed February 16, 2014

What a pleasure to find a real New York family owned and run Italian restaurant here in Florida. They have everything you would expect to find in Little Italy at the same quality but lower price. Anyone visiting Daytona Beach needs to put this restaurant at the top of their list for great food and dining experience. Very friendly and family oriented!

Reviewed February 15, 2014

(Third try on this review) Visited in Dec, with three other couples. We all found the atmosphere very dull and ......washroom was disgusting albeit it was "under renovation????" Only one other couple with a child there (family, perhaps) We waited for our food, and I found it to be bland, not good at all....nowhere near what real Italian should be. Service was ok, but the waitress was very overbearing.....like she was trying too hard. The portions are fairly large, but bigger is not necessarily better in this case. Not at all up to the 5 dot rating other reviewers posted....very disappointing. As for value, I guess you get what you pay for. Will not be back.....

13  Thank carol r
donvitos, Owner at Don Vito's Italian Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

My dearest Carol r Orillia – Last night, as is my usual practice, I checked Tripadvisor on my way home after another very long 12 hour day. I noticed that the 2nd review you had posted was removed, as was the 1st review you posted about us. Here it is only hours later and you already have a third beauty up. Did we disrespect you, that you feel this burning desire to help others, sort of like that super hero Mighty Mouse? Could it have been that bad when an overwhelming percentage of our visitors would disagree with your assessment? To be helpful I am posting the definition of stalker
"moving silently and deliberately; especially pursuing stealthily and persistently".
Quite frankly your actions and motivations seem a little strange as well as a little scary. I am about to start my next 12 hour day and you are undoubtedly thinking only of your next attack on us, if TA should choose to remove number #3. WOW!!! GOSH!!! Let us agree that your actions are FAR worse than your experience at the restaurant and that you should cease and desist. There was never an attempt by us to deliberately ruin your night. You seem really, really, really on a mission like that other super hero, The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle's. They had Italian names and you seem most like Leonardo, the gentlest turtle of them all. Oh well, just my opinion. My suggestion would be to try to and fight those inner demons like the super hero's would!!! Self analyze. Ask yourself these questions to start - You stated the WAITRESS was overbearing. Just how would you describe YOUR actions?? What would Mighty mouse or Leonardo do in your position?? Really, It was JUST a meal. It's not like you were looking to live here!! If you don't like what you experienced, don't come back. Real simple!! NO?? I don't think you should make it your career. Perhaps you should contact the News Journal about a position reviewing ALL restaurants and then you would solve your obsession and broaden your horizons?? Try reviewing restaurants in Canada where you live. Perhaps they will erect a statue in your honor. Either way PLEASE go away and have fun somewhere else. We get it!! You aren't happy with us!! WE are very fond of you though!! Get a pet!! Get another hobby!! As is my usual custom, we wish you well – Go in peace, and May the force be with you!! Perky Barbara C., Owner and Overbearing Waitress