“Don't let one bad review scare you away from here!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Daytona Beach
Catalina Beach Club
Ranked #32 of 74 Hotels in Daytona Beach
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I almost passed this place over due to one horrible review on this site. But being practical, I figured if it really was bad there would be more than one low score. Thank goodness I booked here anyway. I loved it!
The setting was fantastic and the staff extremely friendly, helpful and not too pushy on the timeshare inquiries. All rooms are on the ocean front. We were on the 3rd floor with a double balcony and two sliders onto it. Full fridge was great, as there are great fish and meat markets in the area. The sound of the surf was loud and very welcome to New Englanders in December. We slept with both sliders wide open every night. Two nice ceiling fans as well. The dampness of the surf did come in with the wind and made the tile floors a little slippery when wearing sneakers, but no prob, we just went barefoot when inside. The place was absolutely SPOTLESS when we arrived, which more than made up for the older furniture and decor. The only thing I wish were different is that they remove the buoys across the middle of the pool so people could swim laps. The pool is fairly deep even at the lesser end, so little kids would use their own pool and not the full sized one. A very memorable week for us. We will want to go again for sure!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lauriew333

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Had read some reviews before leaving home and was a bit sceptical.
Overall though, it was OK. The 2 bed apartment was big and had all the facilities you need. It was clean although not to my standards - dirty skirting boards leave me cold, but otherwise they provided everything you need for self catering ............and there were 3 flat screen TVs which made the 'boys' very happy!
The balcony's are narrow but the views over the ocean are terrific.
All in all, it was a good base for us but if we ever went to Daytona Beach again would probably choose somewhere else.

Room Tip: Don't get the ground (or 1st floor) as they call it - you face the car park
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jmstraveller
Reviewed April 23, 2012

CBC is a little older and with fewer rooms than the new resorts, thus is ideal for adults. Right on the beach, nice pool, bbq grill area, game room, fitness room and free DVD rental. Room was very clean and well equipped and had 2 towel exchanges a week. Limited activities. Staff was very courteous and friendly. All balconies face the beach, but first floor all you can see is the pool or parking lot. We were on the 5th floor and the view was great. Bring sandals to wear in the room, with so much fine sand you just cannot keep the floor clean. The very wide and nice beach is the attraction here.

Room Tip: Stay above ferst floor to have a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Thomas57598
Reviewed December 27, 2011

We have just returned from a two week holiday in Florida, the second week spent at CBC in Daytona Beach. We were on the third floor in a one bedroomed apt with a balcony, overlooking the beach/sea, which was brilliant to wake up to each morning. On arrival the unit smelled very clean and we were provided with ample towles, toilet rolls, soap, shampoo and conditioner etc. The furniture within the room however was very tired and mismatched and in need of updating. As their were only two of us we had the benefit of a bathroom each in the unit and the walk in power shower in my bathroo was fantastic..

The phone calls twice/three times a day touting for us to attend timeshare presentations were annoying to say the least and this was despite being told at check in that we were not remotely interested in attending. After the first couple of days we just didn't answer the phone. On the plus side they provided us us with a complimentatry newspaper every day, DVD rental was foc as was use of the safety deposit box in our room. There were two flat screen TV's (Lounge and bedroom) and 2 DVD players.

During our stay in the area last year we had already been to NASCAR and done the tour so this year we went to Ponce Inlet Lighthouse and museum, visited the Friday farmers/flea market and spent a day at St Augustine where we thorouhly enjoyed visiting the" Old Jail" museum.

There is not an awful lot to do in the area at this time of year aprt from enjoying the sun and swimming pool area at the hotel if you are lucky enough to get the weather (which we were this year). The hotel has an excellent games/recreation room and we played a game of bingo, table tennis and shuffle board in there. There is also a foc internet cafe in there with about six computers, a printer (to do your online airport check in) and plenty of books/magazines and jigsaws.

Overall we enjoyed our holiday and will certainly miss the view we had each day however in my opinion this hotel is not gold crown standard and having been twice now to the area probably will not go back there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ambers56
Reviewed December 19, 2011

We just returned from Daytona Beach and spent five nights here. It was OK. We were actually supposed to be there for 7 nights, but moved to Orlando for the last two.

The floors never seemed clean, which I can understand to a point with so much sand around. Bathroom in master bedroom was SO tiny, couldn't even shut the door without standing between the toilet and counter.

The unit was very "beachy" looking and that was great. Patio door opened onto a balcony overlooking the ocean and that's where I spent each morning drinking coffee. That kind of made up for some of the other things that were lacking.

I must say that one of the security officers was about the friendliest employee we encountered. Upon checking in, we were told that "the rooms haven't been released, so we will call you when you can come back." She wasn't too welcoming. And, the phone calls 2 or 3 times a day, wanting our attendance at their sales meetings irritated the daylights out of us. We told them from the start that we were not interested, but we still got phone calls morning and evening. Also had notes stuck in our door every morning for the same reason. I know this is how these places work, but when they're told no from the start, they should respect that and BACK OFF. That is one reason I would not return there.

Overall, it was an average location. Can't say that I would recommend it to anyone, honestly.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank beachbum95
Reviewed December 7, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The CBC feels safe. Great location, right on the beach, (two sliding doors opened to a wide balcony) . We stayed on the third floor in a one bedroom that smelled clean when we arrived. The staff was very friendly, helpful and responsive. One bathroom had a jacuzzi type tub, the other a spacious shower. Two nice HD tvs.I can see how some could describe the rooms as narrow since the studios (!?) appear to be half the width. We would love to go back!

Room Tip: Two dont's: don't get a first floor and don't get a studio.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Indo-flyer
Reviewed October 28, 2011

What Catalina Beach Club (CBC) call the 1st floor is actually the ground floor, if your unit number is 103 through 106 your balcony area will step directly onto the car park...with no balustrade to section it off! (see my photos showing this) We were in room 105, a 2 bed unit, we were not impressed, the only option was to swap rooms but be split up from our family into separate & smaller 1 bed units, we did not want that.

Cars could park directly outside your balcony, and there were no blinds on the sliding double doors for privacy, only curtains which had to remain closed to keep everyone looking in.

As for the 'recent' renovations which are mentioned a lot in RCI reviews & customer comments from the CBC website, they are not recent but actually took place around 2005-2006. The units are still very dated (70's style) and could do with serious updating!

There are no laundry facilities with in the units, which we knew about before exchanging, there is a laundry room on site BUT have to pay $2.25 per wash then a further $2.25 if tumble drying was required.

The water pressure in the shower was awful, took forever to rinse my hair (and I don't have a lot).

The unit it's self was clean, however after my showers I'd walk from the bathroom through the bedroom into the living area & the bottoms of my feet would be black again!

I have nothing against OAP's but this resort was full for them and it felt very clicky. Made me feel a little out of place and uncomfortable at times.

I once went into reception to find out if they were able to exchange some currency into dollars, I was told by Walt they do not have that facility and I would need to go to a bank. I said to him we had tried several but as we don't have banks accounts they couldn't exchange the money. With that Walt just said to me sorry can't help & turned his back on me! Which I found extremely rude & very unhelpful.

I do not think RCI should give this resort a Gold rating just for it's location on the beach. I have stayed in many & much more luxurious timeshares/resorts than this one. I will not be coming back to stay unless CBC do some proper modern renovations and sort the car park balcony area. I think if you are allocated one of these units right in front of the parking bays, cars should not be able to park there but instead a nice little green/garden area. At least that would take some of the eyesore of having a room/balcony in the car park.

Also did not appreciate the daily phone calls trying to get us to attend timeshare meetings in exchange for money, external calls too...do not know how they even got through to our room telephone number!

As we were on the ground floor it was very noisy, people scooting around on the wheelie dining room chairs all the time! Opening/closing drawers, you could hear a lot! Making it difficult to sleep at night.

Some good points, the pool area was nice (quiet) & I liked Daytona the beach was great and the cars driving in their designated lanes didn't bother us.

CBC offered free DVD rentals with plenty of choice, free coffee & doughnuts daily, games room with free wi-fi.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
The Shores Resort & Spa
The Shores Resort & Spa
#8 of 31 in Daytona Beach Shores
Tropical Winds Oceanfront Hotel

Been to Catalina Beach Club? Share your experiences!