“Doubt I will return”

Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #17 of 73 Hotels in Daytona Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 27, 2008

I stayed here with my family over the Memorial Day Weekend, arriving on Friday and departing Monday. We had two rooms and paid $209 per night for each of them. We chose this hotel due to its proximity to the airport and to relatives.
It also seemed the best choice among the other properties we studied in this geography.
The view of the ocean from the room was very nice and I was impressed with how much the closed door muffled the sound of the waves. When you open the balcony door the AC cuts off so we did not leave the door open much. Unfortunately, as others have noted it is impossible to step outside to hear and see the ocean and close the door. The balconies really are little more than a narrow stoop making it impossible to comfortably stand outside the room with the door closed. The door did not muffle the sound of the concert that took place in the bandshell next door on Saturday night. And many times during our visit I heard noises from the rooms next door and from people walking in the hallway.
The hotel was very busy with a wedding and graduation parties on top of a holiday weekend, but we experienced a similar experience with the waitstaff as that described by a previous reviewer. There were long waits and overworked staff. One waiter did come back and apologize to us multiple times for his inability to properly wait on us. He said he already had more customers than he could handle. While he seemed distressed and I appreciated his honesty, I also was annoyed with the hotel that they were not prepared to handle the crowds and by the time we left the excuses rang hollow. The lady who waited on me at the gift shop was very friendly and efficient. Likewise, the valet staff delivered our car promptly, so my staff problems mainly centered on the staff in the eating establishments. It was not uncommon to be told that we would have a 30 minute wait to be seated, but it was more frustrating when we were told a wait time and then it not to be accurate--as happened to us at restaurant and with room service. We did not eat at the Hyde Park restaurant. It has a clubby look to it and we were looking primarily for casual beachwear welcoming places for our meals so we frequented the other places. I don;t know if that experience would have been the same or different. The hotel is huge with multiple restaurants. The food court on the beach side isn't exactly a court at this time of year and I can only assume that it is more active at other times of the year with more selections--we did not eat there, but we tried the others.
On top of the waits and the lack of customer service, we were greatly disappointed in the quality of the food we had at the hotel. The lunch we had at the Pelican Bar mostly went uneaten. I was the last to be served and the waitress said it was because she had sent my sandwich back as it was "too small". It wasn't the size of the sandwich I found disappointing--it was the taste. My daughter and her husband had what they described as an awful breakfast at Doc's Grill at an overpriced fee. I ordered two meals from room service--one that was passable and a breakfast that was swimming in grease and not very warm.
All in all, this hotel did not live up to our expectations.
The rooms were okay--tastefully decorated and clean. The television was an old-style television with HBO. The bathroom was fine but nothing special--it could have passed for any chain hotel I have frequented in the past year--not very large room. When I compare this to other resort hotels it lacks the feel of what I usually think of as a resort with extra perks and amenities. And when I compare what I paid per night with other hotels not claiming to be resorts I find this property lacking. Part of it comes from the setting. Daytona is just a crowded, busy beach town with more than its share of tattoo parlors, bikers, and party-goers. It isn't exactly a serene setting.
I did not visit the spa.
We walked several blocks to the North of the hotel. We made purchases at a Starbucks and an ice cream store but did not find much of interest in the immediate area. My daughter and son-in-law had a dismal meal at a nearby Mexican Restaurant. We saw a lot of younger people who were quite inebriated and my overall impression was that this was a prime party area, but not the best place for a family vacation. I doubt that we will choose this destination again and as we drove away we all agreed that we were quite happy to be leaving.
I can understand that this hotel might be among the best of the choices as some of the hotels in the area did not look very good--some with individual AC units in the windows, etc. Just be prepared for mediocre food and service with a high price tag.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank BeingGreen
There are newer reviews for Hilton Daytona Beach Oceanfront Resort

Reviewed May 26, 2008

This hotel has the absolute best location if you are looking to stay on the boardwalk, right near Ocean Walk and a very quick ride from the airport.

The front desk staff was extremely outgoing and helpful, upon check in and the two other times I stopped to ask them a question. This is unusual, so I want to make a point that I think they were exceptional.

That being said, the bartenders and waiters who make up the staff at both indoor bars (sports bar and lobby lounge), as well as the waitstaff and greeters at the indoor restaurant - leave alot to be desired. I was there for six nights, so I think I came into contact with most everyone. Bartenders were blase and indifferent - they would walk past you 3 times without acknowledging and kept giving excuses as to why they had to come back to take your order. And don't even ask to change a channel on one of the 10 tv's in the sports pub - will take about a 1/2 hour for them to even try. The hostess for breakfast each morning cannot handle the line of people waiting, and even if there is not a line, its an effort for them to seat you and they are not friendly at all. Same goes for the staff in the coffee shop - indifferent and completely unfriendly.

The service at Hyde Park Steakhouse was exceptional - sure you are paying for it as this is an upscale restaurant, but it is well worth it.

The rooms are clean but nothing special - small tv's - no balconies, but the ocean view I had erased anything bad.

Disappointing pool area - and because the beach is not private/run by the hotel, there is no food service and/or beverages available on the beach (making you feel that you are not in a "resort" hotel). We had to haggle for chairs and umbrellas with the public beach employees - who charge $25 per day for two chairs and an umbrella. Last complaint about the hotel is that the towels they give out for pool/beach are a joke - my 10 year old dish towels are bigger than the beach towels they hand out to guests (i'm not exaggerating).

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank vg411973
Reviewed May 26, 2008

Best beach hotel i've ever staying in. Luxury at a modest cost. Staff was super friendly. Resort facility had everything and was also within walking distance to other restuarants and attractions.
Loved this place!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 19, 2008

Wonderful resort, located at the best place possible in Daytona Beach. Very clean room, wonderful food, and the staff were very attentive.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for 5 days to attend a professional course. I counted at least 13 problems during this time. The main issues dealt with so many extra charges and poor maintenance. Examples are: hot, stuffy halls; conference rooms were freezing; dirty windows; bird poo on outdoor table and chairs, etc. The best part is its location -- on the beach and near most everything. Howvever, the numerous issues made stay not worth the money charged.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed May 9, 2008

I'm here at the Hilton, staying for a 3-day convention. I'm on day 3. The hotel looks nice and is clean. The service, though, is just okay. Pretty much hotel-wide, the staff seems to be mildly pleasant, but lack the polish found at most hotels in this class. I've also found most of the staff to be fairly inattentive, not rude, just distracted, even when things are not very busy.

The one exception is the Hyde Park Steakhouse. The food was delicious and the service top-notch.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank renaroo
Reviewed May 7, 2008

We decided to do a family vacation to Orlando to hit the theme parks etc. But as the trip neared the end we decided to leave the Orlando area a day early and travel to Daytona to enjoy the beach and surrounding area.

Like I usually do, I consulted Tripadvisor for the best spot to stay. I read the reviews and found the Hilton to have everything we were looking for. It's not the nicest hotel we have ever stayed at, but for the area it was one of the best.

Some of the things we enjoyed are as follows:

- The proximity to the beach (our ocean front room had a beautiful view).
- It was right next to Ocean Walk which has all of the nicest shops and restaurants.
- The boardwalk was right out the door
- The pool was nice. The same pool went indoor as well as outdoor (through a transparent plastic curtain).
- There were multiple hot tubs (one inside on outside).
- The outside restaurant by the pool was very good.
- It was easy to get a chair at the pool - at least during our stay.
- The staff was courteous, caring and efficient. I requested extra towels and they were there within minutes. Within another minute or two we received a call making sure we got them and then being asked if we needed anything else.

Some of the things we thought were average were:
- The condition of the grounds and hotel exterior. Daytona is an older area so the age of the property shows just a bit. Could use some paint and the roof of the lower level showed some age when looking down on it.
- The hot tub inside was strangely shallow (maybe for kids). It barely covered your mid drift. I did not try the one outside.
- The price was a little more than I would have expected to pay for the area but it was oceanfront. There are others in the area that are quite a bit cheaper but they looked pretty run down.
- There really is no patio. Just a small ledge when you slide open the doors facing the ocean.

Overall a positive experience. I'm glad we made the trip to Daytona. I would highly recommend the hotel given it is central to all the activity on the beach.

Enjoy your trip!