“Great Local Friendly Hotel”
Review of Lantern Pike Inn

Lantern Pike Inn
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Stayed for one night after a great day on Kinder Scout which was covered in fantastic powder snow. We were cold, tired and hungry and really appreciated the fantastic cask ale (Timothy Taylor !!) and the home made food. Stella the landlady was fantsstic, the locals were warm and welcoming - we had a wee problem with the fire alarm - which Stella dealt with admirably. Overall a great, locally run hotel that i will visit again and would recommend to you all

Paul

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 10, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights, and cannot recommend it highly enough. We were warmly welcomed by the owners, Tom and Stella who proved throughout our stay that nothing really was too much trouble (despite Stella being on crutches). The food was really good - it was just a shame that they had run out of seabass by the time I came to order. The pub is very cosy and welcoming and on one of the nights we were there, there was a local band playing and they were really rather good, but you weren't made to feel you had to sit up and pay attention - in fact we were so relaxed we just read the papers with that lovely music going on in the background! The location is brilliant and the views from our room were fabulous. We really couldn't fault it.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2010

Just spent a great weekend in the peak district using The Lantern Pike as our base. Fantastic B&B with the BEST B&B breakfast we've every had! Very friendly hosts and staff, great barman and lovely food. Nothing was too much trouble. Thank you and will definately be back again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2010

I stayed at the Lantern Pike with three friends for the weekend. Friendly welcome from the staff and locals. Good beer. Nice food. Accomodation basic but clean and comfortable. I am pleased I live 150 miles away as I would never see my family if it was within walking distance

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 24, 2010

My wife & I had a drive out looking for somewhere to have an evening meal. We saw this nice looking pub and decided to eat there. It was 8.15 on a Saturday night and we walked in and went to the bar and asked the guy behind the bar if they were still serving food.....'Yes, but they are going in 15 minutes' was the abrupt reply! Against my better judgement we decided to eat there...big mistake!!
The rude guy said to sit at any table and he would be over to take our order so we did do. After a couple of minutes he came over and took our drinks order. Upon returning with the drinks he asked if we were ready to order our food which we were.....so we ordered starters and mains....he didn't write anything down and after I told him what we wanted he repeated it back to us...getting my wifes main wrong....I corrected him and off he went.
About 10 mins later the young, pleasant waitress brought out our starters...spicy chicken wings for me and garlic mushrooms for my wife. Fine if that was what she had ordered but it wasn't...she had ordered mussels! The embarrassed waitress said sorry and said she would get the correct starter as soon as possible. After about 3 minutes back she came with the mussels. Great my wife thought....that was quick. However one mouthful later we had to call the waitress over again and tell her the mussels in sauce were stone cold! With a mumbled excuse of 'He was rushing to get it out quickly for you' off she went back to the kitchen and came back a couple of minutes later with it steaming hot obviously via the microwave. And it was minus the crusty bread that we only noticed later that it should have been served with!
After the starters came the mains....beef curry for me & liver casserole for my wife....the liver was supposed to be served with 2 different vegetables but only came with carrots...and the liver was hard and overcooked! When I ordered the curry I was asked did I want rice or chips or 1/2 & 1/2 so I said just rice.....unsurprisingly he got that wrong too....came with half rice, half chips and a naan bread that was spongy as it had been microwaved. How difficult is it to grill a naan bread?
As we were (struggling) to finish the people at the table behind us were complaining to the guy about the steak being really tough....at £13.95 not the cheapest you can get....and also something about the veg which I didn't quite hear!
The sign outside says 'Home Cooked Food'....well I suppose someone must live there and technically I suppose microwaving can be called cooking!
n summary...avoid at all costs!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pauls68uk
Reviewed September 24, 2009

Firstly I would like to add that we were not guests at this pub/guest house but staying in a self catering cottage nearby. I give this pub a zero rating because I didn't have the opportunity to taste the food or drink. on offer as my family and I left after being made to feel extremely unwelcome within less than 1 minute of walking through the door. We were 4 people, ranging in age from 29 to 54 plus one dog and we have never before experienced such treatment in any of the many pubs we've visited around the country.

Having e-mailed in advance to check that this was a dog friendly pub and receiving confirmation that well-behaved dogs were welcome, we arrived this week with a well behaved dog (graduate of obedience classes and star of socialisation classes, with certificates as proof) to be confronted with a No Dogs allowed sign. This was just the first indication of an unfriendly greeting that verged on the hostile. Confused by the contradiction between No Dogs notice and advice received in response to e-mail enquiry one of us went in for a quick recce and found that there were dogs in the pub, so we went in - big mistake! We were greeted by a football shirted person we assume was the landlord with the words, "I'm not having that in here" - it took a moment or two for us to realise that he was talking about our dog, which he thought looked "lively" (a bit of a strange conclusion, given that by this time the dog was lying down, hoping no doubt for a well-earned rest whilst we took refreshment). We had to rouse the poor creature (who was just preparing to bask in the admiration of younger customers) and leave the pub, like most people we find pleasure not only in good beer, but also in a friendly and welcoming atmosphere, something that was completely absent on Friday 11 September 2009

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
9  Thank swilkes
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Great place to unwind if you love to walk eat and have a few beers this is an excellent place to visit.When i made enquiries to the Lantern Pike inn if i would be able to bring my pet dog i was asked a few questions by the landlady and she then said i was allowed on condition of good behaviour.I was allowed to take my dog into the bar after everyone had eaten (not all people likes dogs) Stella and Tom could not have been more welcoming and everyone who was staying on my visit seemed to have a very good time there was a lot of laughter with the guests and the locals in the bar.Stella and Tom have very high standards on making you feel welcome cleanliness and your food was ok and would check with you every day that you were happy.
I read the reviews on this site before i booked and in the main they are correct just the one which i could see was very negative for what ever the reasons were my visit was excellent welldone to Tom and Stella .

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Millie's Bed and Breakfast
The Kinder Lodge
The Kinder Lodge
#2 of 3 in Hayfield

Been to Lantern Pike Inn? Share your experiences!