“Time for some CPD”

Lantern Pike Inn
Harpenden
“Time for some CPD”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Excelent Timothy Taylors, welcome and roaring fire. Attentive waiting on table and prompt service. Would have deserved an excellent rating overall were it not for the listlessness of the food. All a bit dated - Tony Warren might have been comfortable with it when writing his first episode of Coronation Street here, but today's customers need a bit more thought going into it and a little less salt (totally agree with another recent review on the salt point). Perhaps something in the budget for continuing professional development for the chef this winter?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
tomc01, General Manager at Lantern Pike Inn, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear ebordingle, thank you for your review, sorry the food wasn't to your liking. Having said that, we are fully aware that our menu (as indeed anybody else's menu in any restaurant in the world) will never appeal to everybody that enters through its doors. We believe our menu appeals to the vast majority of our customers and have valued feedback to demonstrate this. Tom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Having not visited for a couple of years, my wife and I returned for an impromptu Sunday lunch and weren't disappointed. The menu was more extensive than I recalled and there was an added "lite bites" component that suited us down to the ground. The place was still friendly, full of laughter and banter exchanged between tables. We didn't stay overnight but on the strength of the friendly reception, great service, good food and enjoyable environment it is a place that we will make a point of returning to.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robert S
tomc01, Owner at Lantern Pike Inn, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear RobertS, thank you so much for your review and kind words of appreciation. I will pass them on to the staff. If you do decide to return please identify your self and I will buy you a drink. Tom
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We visited the Latern Pike having originally booked to stay for two nights, upon arrival the Bar Manager (Mark) was very polite and welcomed us with a huge smile. We were shown to the room, which was a twin, ensuite room called Blackhill. Be aware, the marketing they use to describe the rooms cleverly pictures a sizable twin room but then decribes that their are various rooms, of various sizes - they are not wrong. I don't think they are trying to con people but this room is simply not fit for purpose. It was seriously tiny, contained two beds that I can only be described as childrens single divans. The ensuite room, whilst clean didn't allow sufficient room to move around in. The extractor fan stays on for quite some time and is very noisy so beware for anybody who is a light sleeper. The wardrobe was hanging off the wall and we were a bit reluctant to use it and there was simply no where to put a suitcase as the room really was that small.

The food in the pub was however, quite good. The Chicken dish I had was OK, the gravy was a little salty to the taste but plenty of it and good quality chicken. My partner had a steak that was really quite superb - we would certainly reccomend this as an eating establishment. Breakfast was also tasty, not that huge but certainly sufficient to set you up for the day.

Yes its a novel little pub/B&B with links back to Coronation Street, it is in a lovely part of the country but take my advice, if you book the twin check your not being allocated the store cupboard called Blackhill. As they were unable to re-allocate us to the larger twin room shown the in the pictures we checked out after 1 night and stayed elsewhere. The landlord and his partner were OK about this and it was quite clear that they only use this tiny little room when they are fully booked. Personally I would suggest they are honest, put a photograph of this little room and rent it out at a cheaper rate than the others - for some people it might be just what they need, would probably be suitable for two yound children but certainly not for two adults.

Nice staff, nice food, room was dreadful and this spoilt our weekend a little.

Room Tip: If booking a Tiwn Room contact the pub to make sure your not in the tiny little room!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Glenn3053
tomc01, Owner at Lantern Pike Inn, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
By way of a response I would like to say, here at the Lantern Pike Inn we are always looking to improve the business and welcome people’s personal opinions, both positive and negative. I would also ask guests to kindly remember that this is a mid-18th Century Inn and is not designed or built like a city centre hotel.
The room to which this reviewer refers is not enormous, it isn’t tiny either. We have guests returning again and again asking for that particular room, it is located at the back of the pub (no traffic noise) and the window is low and people can see the fantastic countryside whilst still in bed. I accept this might not suit everybody; nevertheless, it shows that there is always more than one opinion. The twin beds are standard size adult size beds, 1.9 m x 0.9 m and contrary to the reviewer’s belief, we have not tried to be deceitful or ‘clever’ with the marketing, we simply didn’t see the need to put pictures of every room on the website. On reflection, we will put pictures of all the rooms on the website.
The reviewer observed the extractor fan was on too long and was noisy, it is important to have an extractor fan in bathrooms, not only to deal with odours but also to provide ventilation and minimise dampness. Having looked at the situation we have reduced the time the extractor is on by a third and lubricated the fan, this has reduced the noise. It has also been written that the wardrobe was hanging off the wall, this was absolutely true for which we apologise unreservedly, this was the first we had heard of it. Rooms are audited every week by management, all the rooms had been audited three days before this stay and they were all fine, the damage must therefore have occurred in the few days leading up to this particular guest’s visit, we wish they had said something at the time giving us an opportunity to rectify the situation. We would also refute the assertion there is nowhere to put a case.
Finally, we would like to thank this reviewer for sharing their concerns and also for the even-handed way in which there were positive comments about the cleanliness, the staff and the food. We have taken note of all their comments. We actively encourage our guests to give feedback about their stay once they return home (so as not to cause any embarrassment to the guest), we email them and ask for feedback, however, I wish they had spoken to us about it at the time.
Reviewed September 3, 2012

As a resident of little hayfield for over 20 years I have visited the lantern pike many times, I have always enjoyed going in the pub and have always had a lovely meal with great service, I was extremely disappointed on my last visit as me and my partner ordered the chilli which had always been delicious. The food arrived and looked lovely until I tasted it, all I could taste was salt. My partners wasn't quite as bad but was still incredibly salty. I called the polite waitress over and explained that I couldn't eat the meal (something I felt very uncomfortable with as I have never ever sent food back before) she apologised and took our plates to the kitchen, when she came back over she asked us if we would like some sour cream put in the chilli, to which we kindly declined as it was not the waitresses fault (sour cream would never take the taste away I'm surprised the chef would even offer to send It back to the table) we were asked if we wanted anything else of the menu, the only reason I went in was for the chilli so again I declined. As we went to the bar to pay our bill the gentleman behind the bar looked confused as to why the food was not on the bill, he quickly realised though as the chef came out the kitchen and abruptly told the gentleman the order had been cancelled, when asked why the chef said very loudly and very rudely 'because apparently its salty' and stormed back into the kitchen. I was extremely annoyed at this as I was not trying to be rude, I simply couldn't eat it, there was no 'apparantly' it was disgusting. The gentleman apologised that we did not enjoy out meal. I have no problems with any of the staff, cleanliness and have thoroughly enjoyed every other visit. I would never have considered commenting on hhere if it had not been for the comment of the chef. Manners don't cost anything!

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Sc5122
tomc01, Owner at Lantern Pike Inn, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear reviewer, once again we are sorry the chilli wasn’t to your liking, you reported it as being too salty, one meal being more salty than the other. We find this confusing since we make or chilli in batches of 12 portions? I didn’t think to ask at the time but I’m just wondering was salt sprinkled on the meal before tasting? We didn’t charge you for the meals and we thought that was that. I would also like to add; chefs are very temperamental individuals and don’t take criticism easily, especially regarding seasoning, nevertheless, she should not have said what she said and she has been reprimanded and reminded of her responsibilities. I hope this episode hasn’t driven you away from us for good and look forward to you returning again.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is my third visit and each time it just gets better and better. The food, staff and atompshere is absolutely fantastic. If you want a lovely evening out with great food and hospitality then I would recommend you visit!

Room Tip: You must go for a walk there; the views are stunning!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Betty_Zipmouth
tomc01, Owner at Lantern Pike Inn, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for your kind words of appreciation.
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We ate lunch at this pub whilst staying in a nearby cottage. We were a group of 27 on a hen weekend & the staff really couldn't do enough to help. The food was lovely and there was a wide selection of options at lunchtime. I would highly recommend a visit!

• Stayed July 2012
tomc01, Owner at Lantern Pike Inn, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you so much for those kind words of appreciation.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2012

The location was fabulous as we wanted to explore as much of the Peak District as possible. The Inn is really pretty & the staff friendly and welcoming. I think the only criticism would be that the room was a tad small but it was spotlessly clean and the bed really comfy. We had 2 evening meals during our stay & both were fine, but we can't recommend the breakfasts highly enough - both in choice and quality!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pat_hayes
tomc01, Owner at Lantern Pike Inn, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you so much for those kind words of appreciation.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Hayfield
#9 of 160 in Peak District National Park
George Hotel
George Hotel
#1 of 6 in Hayfield

Been to Lantern Pike Inn? Share your experiences!