“Good Food...But the Service....”
Review of Old Florida BBQ - CLOSED

Old Florida BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Went to Old Florida BBQ for lunch and the food, was pretty good, if you're into barbecue. I can take it or leave it, but even for me this was good food.

Problem was, the service was terrible. Granted, we were part of a large party (about a dozen or so), but TWO waitresses were helping us. Unfortunately, one of them disappeared regularly. Here is what happened:

Some of us got to order right away, but for others it took a long time. When the waitress came to me, I saw lunch specials advertised for $4.99 or so, on the back of the menu, but it didn't say what the specials were. I asked my waitress, who pointed to a list of meals. I selected pulled pork and two sides.

My soda came out, and a runner brought the the food (in decent enough time, considering the large party), but there was no silverware, and one of the sides (corn) was missing. I waited and waited, but my waitress had disappeared. I finally flagged her down and asked for silver, only to have her disappear into the back again. Someone in our party finally rustled up silverware for me, but I was still missing a side of corn. I had to get another waitress to go and get it.

When the bill finally came, my $4.99 lunch special actually was a $7.99 plate. My waitress had dropped off the check and, in one fluid motion, disappeared into the back again, so I had nobody to ask about the price difference. Someone in my party scooped up my check and took it with him to the register -- he bought my lunch, which was pretty cool. I mentioned the discrepancy, but he didn't seem to mind.

My overall impression was that the food was good -- I put the pulled pork between two slices of garlic bread and made a pretty tasty sandwich, with "Kansas City" barbecue sauce (they offer several different flavors). But I probably wouldn't go back. The location is in a very congested area, parking is limited, and the service was pretty bad.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just had my daughter take me to Old Florida BBQ for fathers day. Many specials offered including half off my meal. I had the rib combo which was very good. Came with two sides and the portions were very generous. We both left full with a couple of styrofoam boxes to boot. Really nice salad bar which was very fresh looking. Restaurant was clean, new, modern and very well decorated with Seminole and everglades memorabilia. Restaurant is owned by Jimmy Riffle of Gator Boys TV show fame. Will definitely be a regular.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Well,if you're disapointed that Sonny's closed in Davie go straight to Old Fl BBQ,same thing,only a different name,nice BBQ and good price !

Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

The lunch special is a great price. Food tastes good and you get a good portion. Staff is pretty friendly, especially the long.time waitresses.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Came here for the first time a few nights ago and I will never be coming back. To start things off, our waitress was very inattentive. As for the food, it was just okay at best. If this review was based on the food alone, I'd give it a three star rating as opposed to two. The mac and cheese I ordered was under-seasoned and just didn't taste very good overall. The grocery store down the street makes it better. When I come into a southern BBQ place, I expect some superb mac and cheese. Instead I got what seemed to be like some glorified Kraft mac and cheese.

Walking into this restaurant was truly a scary scene for me. Everyone and I do mean EVERYONE was at least 50 pounds overweight. This includes everyone on staff as well. It's really scary to see what people let themselves become and on top of that, they just don't care. Your tax dollars are going to have to pay for when these people end up in the hospital because they don't know when to stop eating.

1  Thank MadJack1