“Great stay, great place”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport West
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Davie
Reviewed December 15, 2012

This place used to be a comfort suites but is much better now. It is exceptionally clean and has a great location close to the interstate. Free breakfast in the morning with Michelle the breakfast hostess is a great way to start the day. Only real down sides are the pool is very small and there is a ton of noise where the business center is located.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road as there can be traffic at times.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank jbrock95

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Michele, my Breakfast Hostess was fabulous and sweet :) Free wifi, nice room, got a discount through Nova Southeatern U. Shuttle bus got me from the airport very quickly. I needed a good night's rest for my interview the next day, and everything went well.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is an average, nice place to stay that is close to the cruise ship ports and the airport.
It was nice to have complimentary WiFi throughout the whole place.
The front desk clerks were very helpful in guiding us to a good place to have dinner.
Michele, the breakfast hostess, is delightful -- among the friendliest I've ever encountered. And she's efficient and very clean-conscious.
We utilized the shuttle TO the airport; and it left right on time and got us there in a very timely manner.
A note for anyone considering a taxi: we took one only about 8 miles away and it was a $23 ride. Added a lot to the cost of dinner!

Room Tip: Ours was a king suite on the 4th floor. Quiet, roomy -- with refrigerator, coffee maker and microwa...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed here the night before a cruise. The front desk staff were great, the rooms were newly renovated and clean. Very limited TV selection. Wireless was complimentary and worked well. The bathrooms are very dated. For a one or two night stay the hotel was fine.

A huge weakness is the airport shuttle. It rarely runs. This is NOT a hotel to stay at if you are using it as an airport hotel. The minimum time between shuttles is 1 hour, and sometimes even more.

I felt it was over priced.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We arrived at 11:00 AM after an all night red-eye flight. We had two rooms booked and pre-paid thru EntertainmentBook travel. One room was a 2 king bed suite and one was a 1 bed King room. Arriving that early in the day, I was prepared that our rooms likely would not be ready, and they weren't.

First problem: I am told that one of my reservations had been cancelled. NO WAY had I at any point cancelled either of my pre-paid reservations. As a matter of fact, I had called the property directly a few weeks before to confirm that both reservations were on record (since they were under the same name) and to make sure that one room was flagged for late check-in. The person I spoke to confirmed both rooms and marked one for late check-in.

I asked how/who cancelled my reservation and Lauren had no explanation. I told her we absolutely needed two rooms and reminded her that I had pre-paid. She acted as if she was doing me favor by "reinstating" the cancelled room.

I provided my debit card for incidentals and was assured that nothing else would be charged to it other than the $25.00 hold. She said she would call me on my cell when our rooms were ready. We left to go eat and purchase our pre-cruise wine, soda and water. Several hours went by and no call. Finally received a call saying that one room was ready. We returned to find that the room that was ready was not a king but a double queen but at that point exhaustion was thick so we kept it. The bathroom and kitchenette area were crawling with small light colored ants...I mean crawling! I notified the desk.

It was well past 5:00 PM and we still had not been called to say our second room was available so I went to the front desk and stood in line for 20+ minutes while the 1 clerk helped the 3 people in line. I was given my other room keys and went to bed.

The next morning we check out and Lauren gives me a receipt showing $99.07 and I inquired as to why an amount was showing? She assured me over and over that I would not be charged anything and that the receipt was just showing the amount that they would be billing Booking.com. Interesting since I didn't book thru booking.com?? I didn't sign anything, took the copy and left.

Upon returning from my cruise, guess what I found? A charge on my debit account 4 days after check-out for $99.07!!! I am floored and have been trying to fix this error for days. Entertainment book travel confirmed that their corporate card was also been charged the $99.07 and called the hotel on my behalf to inquire as to why I was charged again for a prepaid room? Lauren told them that my card had not been charged for anything, which is completely bogus. My bank is currently contesting the charge and is working on getting my money back.

Aside from the ant problem, the property itself is nice and the rooms comfortable, with exception of the sofa bed...I wouldn't make a dog sleep on it! But the front desk and customer service issues force me to give it a poor rating.

Buyer beware...especially if you prepaid!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank eeyoregon
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Waited at the airport for 2.5 hours for the shuttle. First called when we were retrieving our baggage, they said 12 minutes. Waited for about 30 minutes, called again. They again said 12 minutes. another 30 minutes, they again say 12 minutes. This cycle repeated for the full 2.5 hours. Each time being told the shuttle would be there in 12 minutes. The driver of the shuttle finally called, and informed us of the same timeframe.... 12 minutes. 35 minutes later, he shows up and says there was traffic. Driving back to the hotel, there wasnt any traffic that would hold up for 35 minutes, with alone 35 minuets (or 2.5 hours).

When we arrived around 6pm and we requested to speak to the manager of which we were told he would contact us in a few minutes. We waited around for 30 minutes and went to eat. When we returned, we were told that the manager left the building at 6:30. We were told that he would be available when we checkd out in the morning. In the morning there was no manager available. I was told that the manager would contact us by phone, of which I gave my cell phone number. Our flight was delayed and I never received a call from the manager. Poor customer service.

The evening desk worker seemed condencending, and was not helpful. The managers lack of follow through was either poor staff communication, poor customer service or a lack of customer care. Wouldn't recommend this place at all. Especially if you are needing a shuttle.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jfh_kac
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport West, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Dear jfh_kac,

Thank you for your feedback of our property. I am pleased to know that our room accommodations were comfortable enough for your needs. I deeply apologize for the issues you encountered with the shuttle and service received from our staff. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done in the future.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Terrible upkeep to this "new hotel". Bathroom full of green mold around mirror, bathtub stained and dirty, room had an awful mildew odor. I am suffering a night later at home from the allergens I was exposed to at this holiday inn. I was honestly hopping around the room to avoid touching the carpet, furniture or fixtures. Breakfast very low quality with zero healthy options besides bananas. Coffee terrible tasting and acidic. And yes construction workers do stay here and ogle you uncomfortably during breakfast. Could not wait to express check out the heck out of there.

• Stayed: October 2012
HIManagement84, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport West, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

We are terribly sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. Please accept our deepest apologies for the issues you had encountered during your stay. We can assure you these incidents are not normal at our hotel and we will certain address all of your concerns. We care very much of what impression our guests take away from their visit with us. We take the time to read every posting and take them very seriously and can assure you, that we will be reviewing them with our team so we can continually improve our hotel. Thank you for your review, even though it was not a positive one , you took the time to write and we appreciate it.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Davie
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport/Cruise
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#12 of 127 in Fort Lauderdale
Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale / Plantation
La Quinta Inn & Suites Plantation at SW 6th St
WoodSpring Suites Fort Lauderdale
Hampton Inn Ft. Lauderdale Plantation
La Quinta Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Plantation

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport West? Share your experiences!