“Wonderful place to get away from it all” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bahama Bay Resort Orlando by Wyndham Vacation Rentals

Bahama Bay Resort Orlando by Wyndham Vacation Rentals
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Davenport
Austin, TX
“Wonderful place to get away from it all”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2010

This resort really gives you the opportunity to relax and get away from those long working days. We had a wonderful time exploring and taking advantage of the tennis courts, various pools, fitness center, restaurants and bars -- all on site. The condo was gorgeous and had all the amenities so you can treat it like a home. Large enough so the family doesn't have to spend 24 hours a day in one room together. Staff is courteous and really wants to ensure you have a great time while you're on their watch. I would recommend this to absolutely anybody.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Matt F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
Essex UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2010

Spent 2 weeks over Xmas at this resort, and my family and I were bowled over !! What a beautiful place. We have been to Orlando once before and stayed in a private house but was very isolated. Coming back to Bahama Bay resort after a day at the parks was fantastic- the kids loved the heated pool open until very late. my wife and I could wander over to the bar and enjoy a well earned drink ! and it was great to be able to chat with other holidaymakers.
Our condo was on the ground floor with a lovely private patio where we could catch the late ( but slightly cool ) sun. Our condo had 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms which were really lovely, and we felt very much at home here.
The grounds are just stunning with lovely walks around the lakes and the man made beach by Lake davenport is heaven.
This resort is terrific for a lazy day around the pool when you need a day off from Disney
The location is superb and very easy to find - we got to Animal Kingdom in 15 minutes
If you are looking for a self catering holiday but with a hotel feel then Bahama bay is just perfect !!

3 Thank hermosaEssexUK
Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2010

Vacation, it conjures up excitement in your mind doesn't it? Especially if getting away for a vacation is a hard feat for your family these days between lack of time or money. Time was not a friend for us. My husband's job is very demanding. A good job, just busy. We have a three year old and I am in my fifth month of pregnancy. I thought to myself if I do not book a vacation now, we would wait a long time for another opportunity.

I went to my local AAA to book a vacation to Orlando, FL. I had never been to Orlando but I thought what a perfect place for a family. I chose the hotel/resort, Bahama Bay Resort & Spa through the internet and presented it to AAA. My specific agent had never done business with this hotel. They booked it through a travel agency called, Travel Impressions. Bahama Bay Resort looked amazing on the Internet. I chose a room (The Andros) that had two side by side bedrooms with what appeared to have walk in closet in the Master (one room was a King Bed for my husband and I and one was a basic room for my daughter). It had two balconies (from the blue prints presented on the website the larger balcony was off of the living room. The smaller balcony off the master bedroom) There was a large master bath, with a huge soaking tub (good for my achy body) and a shower. There was another bathroom with a shower/bath combo. There was a decent sized kitchen, an open floor plan of a dining room and living room. Then to end it all there a small laundry room by the foyer. There were several pools (found out only 2 of 5 are heated) on the grounds, and a mini beach, Jacuzzi, a pond, a Spa, a couple of restaurants, a small Arcade, a playground, and a small childrens' pool (ended up being not heated). It looked perfect. Everyone I showed it to loved it, and some considered as a future destination stay for their families.

My AAA agent called Travel Impressions to ensure we were indeed getting that room. I told her I did not want the not as nice room, I believed it was the San Salvador room. Both agencies said no, we were definitly getting all that we requested including and specifically the Andros. Ha boy were both of them wrong. We arrived on a Monday. In retrospect, it is my belief that they did not have a ton of people there on this day and were consolidating people to certain buildings. They must have around 20 buildings with a very Southern Plantation Type appearance. We checked in. Me pregnant, with my 3 yr old behind me and my hubby. The lady at check in was very nice. We chatted about all the amenities at the resort and I explained to her how my family and I were looking forward to using them. She then said we had been "Upgraded" to a beautiful 3 bedroom. I told her we didn't need 3 bedrooms and I liked the room we had booked. She said I guarantee you will love this one as much. So I thanked her thinking wow what a nice place. Can't believe I am so naive. She said I needed to pay an additional $73 Cleaning Fee, everyone pays it at check in for the cleaning of the room prior to our arrival. I paid and we were off to follow the map to our building.

We were placed in one of the furthest buildings from the amenities. Guess what else, we were placed on the 3rd floor! That is 6 flights of stairs. Me pregnant and a year after spinal surgery and with a degenerative back with a 3 yr old. I was beyond exasperated. But my husband said c'mon it's an upgrade I'll carry everything up. After we got in we were disappointed. (Pictures below- I could only upload a couple) The furniture appearance was chipping and scratched horribly and the laminate was coming off the kitchen cabinets. There were stains everywhere from the lamps to the carpet. Some of the lights did not work. Two of the ceiling fans sounded like they might fly off at any second. The Master Bedroom had a small queen bed. (We personally sleep in a king at home for a reason). Master bath, ha! Try little basic bathroom with a tiny tub (no bath for me). The balconies were super small. They were the same size and only had two chairs and a table. (We saw what we were supposed to have as we walked the grounds, huge balconies with four chairs & table with room to move). The toaster worked only on one side (and the other side eventually broke during our stay). The carpet still had some dead bugs and dirt against the sideboards and was SOAKED in spots from them shampooing. I know picky huh, but in my defense, The Bahama Bay Resort & Spa markets itself as "Luxurious Villas". I have seen some better shaped furniture at the Holiday Inn. Besides this is not what we paid for or was promised.

We had already hiked everything up, but I decided to call an voice my disdain. The lady on the other line could not have cared less. She said look you are in an upgrade (like I should be grateful was her tone). I explained to her the beds, how my 3 yr old would be sleeping on the other side of the villa from myself. How we could not all fit on the balconies and explained what we were promised. She said you are never promised anything here. You get what you get, from the view to beds. I said I want the room I was to originally get. She exclaimed in an annoyed tone, Look if you want to be "downgraded" be my guest. But we will charge you additional $73 cleaning fee. I told her that was not fair, she told me that is the way it is. So we did not want to pay it again out of principal, but we should have because we hated that villa. It was a horrible start to the vacation. The steps were terrible with a 3yr old 6 times a day.

Later on I called and asked for fans (for white noise) for the villa, they said they would call me back. Two hours later I called again to find out the status, they said they would call me back. They never did. This is what you can expect there. If you are hoping for luxurious accommodations I am sure they have them, but I would demand to see my room before ever paying any fees. Also I wrote out a survey letter of this account even telling them everything that happened and that I had pictures to back up my claims, 9 days later no one has ever contacted us. If you are planning a trip to Orlando, remember you have been warned of the Bahama Bay Resort and Spa.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank thismomsguide
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2010

I stayed with my family at this resort recently and I can tell you that all is not what it appears from the adverts. First off it's not a "hotel" or "resort" it's a condo association and each condo is owned by an individual but "managed" by on site staff that are rude and could care less about you. They charge a "cleaning fee" of $70.00 that they don't tell you about unless you check the fine print on page 2 when you book online, otherwise you won't find out until you get there since it's not included in the online booking price of the room. Pretty shady if you ask me. There is also a $200.00 deposit incase you damage anything. The room they gave us was right across from heavy construction going on throught the entire property. If you like the sounds of trucks and heavy equipment early in the morning and all day long this is the place for you.

The room itself was musty and smelled like mold and needed some serious airing out. They are condos so many of them have been closed and unoccupied for a period of time. The bed mattresses where stiff, uncomfortable and had rips in the box spring, who knows how old they where but they needed replacing. We immedeately asked to have our room changed since this was not what we had in mind for our vacation. The manager "Jeff" was rude and uncaring about the whole matter and acted as if we where annoying him. The "resort" is not close to Disney as they would have you believe. It's 30 minutes by car depending on traffic. Bottom line there are much better places to stay which are closer to the attractions which provide much better service and clean rooms without sneaky hidden fees.

8 Thank Wearytraveler20
NL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2010

This unit was immaculately clean, extremely well stocked and we give it A+.
Our two teenagers loved that it was facing the pool, lake, and beach - as well as the beach volleyball court (a big hit for two high school volleyball players!) The staff at the resort were friendly and pleased to be of assistance. We will definitely stay at this resort again - thanks David! We loved your condo!
Ruth

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bernieNL
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2010

Bahama Bay is a place I look forward to going all year. My family and I spend a week there every year and never once has it been less than great. The rooms are spotless and the condos itself are beautiful. The views from the balcony and anywhere else in the complex are spectacular. I would have been content staying there all week and not going to any attractions. There is so much to do. The clubhouse offers different things every night. I feel as if I'm in a different world, it is just so relaxing there. Great for all ages too. Everything you need is right in the complex. Everyone there is so friendly, you feel right at home. Only fifteen minutes from Disney World too!

1 Thank bfarber26
Belford,NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2010

Just got back from Bahama Bay . This was my 4th stay at the resort and i have now stayed in all 4 types of units they offer . My personal opinion the San Salvador 2bed/2bath and the Gran Bahama 3bed/2bath Units are the best for the money . You'll die when you see the gran Bahama talk about spacious you'll never want to leave this unit .
The San Salavdor is great its 2 bed/2 baths with a nice nice balacony.
The entire staff from the moment we walked in to the moment we checked out went way out of their way to accomadate us whether it be directions or maintianence issues or just even housekeeping issues . The food and beverage people in both restraaunts on the property were terrific. When your down at Tradewinds rest by lake Davenport stop by and ask for Dan he's a great Bartender we had some great chats .
If you really want to pamper yourself then you must stop by the Spa at Bahama Bay it's Wonderful . You leave there feeling like you never felt before . Try the hot stone massage . It really takes you places your body never did .
Well i can't stop talking about this place you really have to try it out it's worth every hard earned penny you work for and then some . You'll definetly come home saying why did'nt i find this resort sooner .
The Walt Disney parks are only about 15 minutes from the resort . Thats the other plus of this resort its location there's a Walmart and a Publix Food store within 1.5 miles of the resort and also 100's of other restraunts on RT 192 .
Thanks again Bahama Bay for another wonderful and relaxing stay see you in the Summer

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RB25112
Also consider these accommodations in or near Davenport
Sheraton Vistana Resort - Lake Buena Vista
4.5 of 5 bubbles 7,631 reviews
Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate
Tuscana Resort Orlando by Aston
Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club

Been to Bahama Bay Resort Orlando by Wyndham Vacation Rentals? Share your experiences!