“Great villa, great location!”

Regal Palms Resort & Spa
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great villa, great location!”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Great location only a 20 minute drive from Disney and about 25 minute drive to Universal.

Only 5-10 minute drive to route 192, where there are loads of restaurants; TGI's Fridays, Red Lobster, Taco Bell, The Olive Garden etc.

The pool area was busy on times, and the free towels that were on offer were not always available due to the business of the resort. However, the pool was safe, clean and fun to be in.

The resort was set within a 5 minute walk to an applebees (241 drinks, lovely food), supermarket, pharmacy, Chinese and Irish. This was great when you wanted a break from all the driving.

The villa itself was clean and comfortable. There was six of us on the holiday in a 4 bedroom house. The main room had on en-suite, the second room was based on ground floor with en-suite, and the other two rooms had two single beds.
The kitchen had all the equipment that is needed for an holiday and the added bonus of a washing machine/tumble dryer came in handy.

Their was also a small shop onsite, restaurant and a internet café. The receptionist was really friendly offering route plans and places to go. We only eat once in the restaurant due to time, but the food was good, with a selection of food for a lunch time snack. To get into the resort, you need a pass card, this was ensuring as this meant the resort was safe from strangers.

Would definitely go back and recommend it, as it was reasonable prices, great location, clean, secure and everything you need for a family Disney holiday.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank danielleatnanty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I just spent 5 nights here with a college baseball team while at the Russ Matt spring break tournament & it was the perfect housing situation for us. We stayed in 5 condos & a house (the team stayed in 4 & the staff kept a condo and the house) & it was ideal. They actually upgraded us to the house (rather than a 6th condo) because a team prior to us trashed the condo so badly, they had to call in a contractor. Having the full kitchens with supplies & washer & dryer with a Publix & a Walgreens within walking distance was wonderful. It was a very clean community and relatively quiet with so many baseball teams & their families staying there. I felt very safe there.

There weren't too many choices of restaurants in the immediate area (not like off-the-highway hotels with all of the chain restaurants right there). You will have to do a bit of looking and a little driving but you're certainly not in the boonies.

I didn't use the pool while the college kids were there but I hear it was nice enough. The streets were great for walking & jogging.

The restaurant staff were very nice and the food was decent but I think they were overwhelmed with large groups & we had a few issues. But who wouldn't with parties of 35 people?

The condo I stayed in for the week was clean & much nicer than some apartments I've lived in - 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms & a full living room & dining area. The king suite was divine and the large bathtub was a treat. We had free wi-fi in our condo as well. However, a couple of the condos the team stayed in did have some issues. One of the condos had only one working burner on the stove, no wi-fi (very challenging when the guys had tons of homework to finish while on the trip), & the freezer didn't work. Another condo's air-conditioning didn't work while we were there. With 6 guys staying in there for a week of 70 degree weather and their smelly gear, it really was an issue & one that wasn't fixed while we were there.

I don't mean this to sound like a negative review because I certainly don't mean it that way. I book dozens upon dozens rooms each year for our college's athletic teams & that's the approach I am taking here. We will certainly stay here again next year because it far exceeds our needs. If I was booking for my family, I might make sure that these amenities were guaranteed in the unit I was booking. It is such an ideal location for the Orlando attractions and is such a money saver when traveling with a large group. I look forward to taking the team back there again next year.

Room Tip: You will hear the music from the pool if you stay on Verona. Not horrible but if you want to go to b...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank jodieb23
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Just returned after three months at Regal Palms. We loved the unit we stayed in, but were disappointed in how the pool area is run. The pool is too small for the amount of people that use it everyday and the water is too warm. They need to build another pool to accomodate more people and have more tables with umbrella's to get out of the sun.

All in all, we will be back but hope management will take comments into consideration.

Room Tip: Make sure you see recent pictures of the unit. Some units are cleaner than others.
1 Thank laurieann1977
richmond,RI
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Family of 3 adults, 1 child. 17 days in Feb. A long wait in line to check in or ask a question. Short staffed everywhere. After paying $250 resort fee we couldn't get any chairs and we had to wait in line one hour for pool towels. Pool rules are posted in 3 locations but all the rules are broken. There is no supervision. The adult pool which is a hot 85°F has mostly kids in it and had 50 people one day and 32 people another day. The music is blaring. The "lazy river" is packed with people pushing and shoving and adults throwing kids into the water, against their rules. Not a bit relaxing. I detected no liquor in my Pina Colata . Their printer in the office has been unusable for quite some time and the young woman in the office is rude and lazy which I suspect led to a bogus charge on my Visa when I got home.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank phyllisri
Upstate NY
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We had Unit 324, with 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. The property was spotless and clean, with updated decor (excellent condition leather furniture, and tasteful decoration) and fully furnished. We were traveling with 5 children ages 10-13 and 2 adults, and all of us loved this property, from the spaciousness, to the resort amenities. The upstairs had 2 very large bedrooms each with large baths and nice oval tubs. One of the rooms had a small balcony as shown. Our kids were old enough to trust with the balcony, and so we could take the more private bedroom downstairs, though if you have young children, you'd want to consider the balcony room. One upstairs bedroom had a King bed which the girls happily shared, and the other had two Queens. Each had a TV and plenty of storage in closets and dressers to keep the room fairly neat ( a must with 5 kids!) High ceilings and long staircase meant the kids were in the upstairs rooms, leaving privacy for the adults who quickly claimed the bedroom and bath downstairs! Kitchen was fully stocked. We came on the Auto Train, and were able to pack our Crock Pot, which made life easy, quick and inexpensive... we made dinner in the morning and when we arrived "home" had a delicious hot meal waiting for us, The townhouse had dishes, plates, cups, and all cookware. The dishes in this condo were nice quality heavy plates, not ideal for small children, but, for us were just perfect. Just popped them in the dishwasher each night and we were ready to cook again in the morning, Supplied with the first nights supplies like dish soap, and one garbage bag, and small bars of soap in the bathroom, but, do remember you'll need to purchase your basics like TP, laundry detergent, garbage bags and shampoo -- unlike at a traditional resort, these are townhome rentals so you'll need to bring your own. This is not a problem as there is a Walmart just 5 miles away, or a Publix grocery literally within walking distance (though we chose to drive to purchase large quantities of course). Upstairs also has a small washer and dryer. This is convenient for small loads ONLY and I wouldnt count on doing lots of laundry as it was just a small set. Nice to have for an emergency but not for doing your regular laundry as it was just too small. The downstairs bedroom was the smallest of them all, but, we adults chose it for the privacy after the kids were asleep, we could sit up and enjoy an evening cocktail without keeping the kids awake. Also a private bathroom, again smaller than the 'master' suites upstairs, but, perfectly adequate. The combined living and dining space was adequate, and had a sliding glass door that led directly outside. Not much to look at other than the backs of other condos, but, there were two plastic adirondack chairs, and was nice for the kids to be able to get outside in the grass and run off some energy -- making the condo seem larger even, as there was outdoor space. The townhouses are in small neighborhoods, and you need a key to drive down this gated area, so it made the road safe to walk on for our ages of children. We DID let them walk up to the pool area, if they had a buddy. An easy 7 minute walk or so. Needed to wear bands to get in the pool area. Because we traveled by car, (auto train) we were able to bring our own towels, and this turned out to be helpful as we didn't have to worry about one of the kids losing their "towel card". A lost towel card will set you back $10 each, so x5 kids we felt it was a lot easier to just use and then dry our own towels. Walking up to the main resort area, or driving if you have elderly or very little ones, was great. SUPER pool area, with small main pool, then a lazy river and a fun "medium" water slide that we all enjoyed. Tiki Bar, was nice for the adults, as well as restaurant with outdoor seating overlooking the pool. Fairly busy pool area, with music playing, and a 'resort' setting. Outdoor hottub, play area, and sand volleyball court. Great prices for the kids meals at only 5.95 or 6.95, we did not feel we were overpaying and had a couple great meals, including one lunch at the Tiki Bar, which was reasonable and very good. Plenty of lounge chairs. This is a "busy" pool type area, so not exactly quiet for reading or relaxing, but, we found it perfect for our needs. Check in is at 4 pm, and unlike at most hotels, I don't think it's often you can check in early. We didn't get in till exactly 4. We were allowed to change in the locker rooms, and spent the entire first day at the pool and having lunch which was great. Did the same on our last day, checking out at 11, but, then spending time at the pool relaxing before we had to get to the train. Distance from parks: We struggled with this when deciding where to stay as there are some places closer to the parks, however, we were VERY happy with our decision to sacrifice just 15-20 minutes of driving for all that we got at Regal Palms at such a good price. We did Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure and that IS a bit farther from this location than Disney. Disney Blizzard beach was only about 20 minutes, and on the days we went to Universal it was about 35 minutes or so. But, this was an EASY 35 minutes and easy to find, no issues whatsoever with getting there or directions. We didnt plan to return to the Townhouse mid-day, so it was no problem, and we were VERY glad we chose to stay at Regal Palms. Our vacation was inexpensive, given that we could cook breakfast and dinner... and we even packed lunches to take to the parks each day! Highly recommend this resort, particularly if you are traveling with children and want an economical and easy trip!!!!

Room Tip: Ask to be close to the pool area, though we were mid-way and it was only a 7 minute walk
7 Thank rainydayghost
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

We were supposed to stay march 28 and 29. We were in the area to look at vacation properties. After opening my door I was instantly embarrassed. Walls had brown spots on them, carpets black ( supposed to be beige) and blinds had spots from coffee splattering on them. Did I mention the hairs left in the bed in master bedroom? Can't prove it but pretty sure Chernobyl victims slept in the bed. I was extremely offended that I was charged a $95 dollar cleaning fee when clearly someone is putting it in his or her pocket. We went back to front desk and was told we could move rooms but not for two nights only one. I said that was not a reasonable solution and asked for a full refund. Told to get refund by Expedia and Expedia says get it from hotel so I get to play that game the next few months. We ended up at the Marriott on world center drive. Fabulous property! I have never stayed at a property that was so disgusting and was not about to start. It is not reasonable to ask a tenant to sleep on top of the bed covers or have to keep your shoes on. I am never at a loss for words but this place left me speechless. To give other travelers some background on me I do a lot of traveling all for leisure. I am middle class but do enjoy upper class amenities when I travel but have stayed at motel 6 and some properties like that. I take 2 to 3 vacations a year and have been to disneyworld 3 out of last 4 years. I am from Seattle. In the last 8 months I've traveled to San Francisco, New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore, Washington, D.C., and now Orlando. SAVE your money! If you are thinking of booking this property, come to my home, roll around in the mud, go to a hair salon and have them throw all the hair clippings for the day on you, and smile. I would imagine that's what it feels like to spend the night in the unit

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Dave C
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed March 24, 2014

The resort disappointed from the moment we unlocked the door. Started with a number of cleanliness issues; no garbage bags, dirty carpet, black soot in upstairs bed/bath, gobs of hair covering the outside patio. The furniture and finishings are a mess and old. Two of us had allergic reaction to the soot and the couches. Opened up the pull out couch to find clothing from the previous occupant, & no bedding. That meant we could not use it since none of us wanted to touch this mess. Clearly the cleaning staff did not clean, but you are still charged for cleaning. In fact the place was filthy when we got there, only thing clean was the towels. It was missing key kitchen items, such as pots/pan we had to call numerous times before it was dealt with. The air conditioning stopped working, we saw that the filter was caked in dust and had not been changed for months, resulting in frozen unit. We could not use the safe as someone had left their code in it and it was blocked. The stove only had 2 working burners. Staff seems nice when you call but never seem to get anything done. Everytime you went into the check in area, someone was screaming at the staff because of issues.

5 Thank beamer56
Also consider these accommodations in or near Davenport
Lake Buena Vista
Best Western Lake Buena Vista - Disney Springs Resort Area
Florida Center
Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort
Windsor Palms Resort
#10 of 62 in Kissimmee

Been to Regal Palms Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!