“AWESOME, but with a lot of taxes”

Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Davenport
Northern New Jersey
“AWESOME, but with a lot of taxes”
Reviewed August 28, 2010

This Omni is great. They have a relaxing lazy river, small waterslide and two other pools. The hotel grounds were beautiful and clean. My only complaints were that my room had some scuff marks on the wall and the beds were like the Travelodge beds I slept in on the way down. Not very comfortable. The T.V. was not an LCD or Plasma. It was an old fashioned T.V. Just beware that there will be a lot of state and town taxes being added on to the room rate. I paid $79 base rate. With the $14 parking fee/night, the $16 resort fee/night added on and taxed, and county, state, and local tax, the room was going up to about $140/night. Tax, Tax, Tax! Other then that the place was GREAT!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
K_Burnett, Manager at Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate, responded to this review, September 2, 2010
Thank you for choosing our resort. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We are in the process of performing maintenance and care on all of the guest rooms and will be updating our televisions in the near future. We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
St. Louis
Reviewed August 10, 2010

This is our fourth visit and the hotel is nice with great pools and a lazy river. However, the first room we have had several scuff marks on the wall (which was surprising)....We were moved to 470 which had a great pool view. The hotel was accomodating, but I was suprised to see a room which wasn't touched up with fresh paint. Love Croc's (pool bar), lazy rivers and pool...We also stayed at the Hilton Bonnett Creek which is new and enjoyed it a little more this time. I did recommend the Omni to friends and they loved it...still would go back, just need to keep the little touches updated in the rooms...bathrooms and lobby are clean. They just started charging a daily parking fee which was suprising since there is already a $16 per day resort fee...wish they did not start charging for parking....

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Thank LovetotravelSt.Louis
K_Burnett, Manager at Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate, responded to this review, August 19, 2010
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate the fact that you are a repeat customer. We apologize for the condition of your room. Since hotel occupancy is winding down for the summer we are able to focus on maintenance and painting of every guest room. We hope you will decide to return and see that we have addressed your concerns. Best regards!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 8, 2010

The only reason i won't come back is because of the bad surprises I got there, when I book a hotel ( especially over the phone) I always ask all the questions right away, because i hate to get surprises when I get there.
So the first bad surprise was when I insisted over the phone that we want to get king beds in teach of the two rooms of the villas we've booked, and I insisted that if we can't get the king beds, then I will prefer to book two separate rooms, so the operator made me wait over ten minutes ( which I did not mind) to confirm to me after, that we can get in the villa's rooms king beds. And guess what happened when we got there; Sorry sir but it is impossible to get in the second room king beds, and that my friend ruined the whole vacation, why? well because we were two couples and both of us wanted to have the room with the king bed..... I will let you imagine how the rest of our vacation finished
The second bad surprise was at five in the morning, when over a hundred people were exercising, yelling and praising their stupid company who happened to gather them on the golf course ( five o'clock in the morning) for a seminar or maybe one of those brain storming ( actually brain washing).
I will stop here because really it was a nightmare vacation, and yes prepare yourself to pay for the parking!!!!!!!!!! ( no comments)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
K_Burnett, Manager at Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate, responded to this review, August 23, 2010
We apologize for the miscommunication about the king beds. All of the villa master bedrooms are king bedded. The second and third bedrooms have either one queen bed, two double beds or two twin sized beds. There are no second or third bedrooms with king beds. We have alerted our reservation center so they can correctly inform guests. We regret that your stay was also affected by the group that was in house. We will take your experience into consideration for future guests.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2010

We had a fantastic time. The hotel and rooms was lovely and very clean, our room was very spacious and we had two double beds. Our room did not have a balcony but the view was amazing as we looked onto the golf course and pool. We found staff very helpful one guy called Steve answered every question we had and went out of his way to find the answers if he didn't know. The pools were great, especially the lazy river. The food and drink was expensive but the slushes by the pool we very tasty!!! We also went to the chinese restaurant again very expensive but the atmosphere and food were both fantastic. Buffet breakfast was also great they had so much choice of fantastic food you would never go hungry even when your as fussy as us!!! Its also not too far from the theme parks but you do need a car. We had a great time and would return again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kate1234_10
Thank you for your feedback and for pointing out the amenities you enjoyed and our great location. We hope you will return again soon!
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Let me just say this so that you understand what type of traveler I am. I have been to Orlando roughly 50 or so times over the past 4-5 years. I have stayed at almost every top hotel/timeshare in the area. On the hotel side, I usually stay at the Omni, The JW Marriot, The Westin or the Ritz depending on rates. On the "timeshare" side (when I need a two-bedroom for family), I usually stay at the Villas at Omni, Reunion Resort, Lighthouse Key (although no longer) , The Sheraton Villages or a combination of the other 3.5 star resorts in the area (Floridays, Mona Lisa, Lake Eve, Worldquest, Lake Buena Vista, etc.).
The Omni used to be my favorite choice when visiting-I've stayed, what 20 times or so since it first opened. I didn't mind the distance from the parks since I always rent a car.
But not anymore. I'm not sure if new management has been ushered in or they just decided to say, "let's think of every possible fee that we can nickel and dime our valuable customers".
What you will get is a very nice resort just slightly below the JW. Nice pool, lazy river, golf course. Overall the resort is a good value even though it is in the middle of nowhere (yep, those are cows you see next door), it's close to the highway and Champions Gate continues to grow.
What will irk you is the stupid fees. I know almost every hotel now the whole, "resort fee", crap. And Omni has had this since day one. It used to include, self-parking, pool use, Disney transport, internet, blah, blah, blah. A typical hotel ripoff but it's like the bag fee on airlines now. But my last few stays (I am Black Level) may be my last.
They recently imprisoned their formally "free" parking lot a cost of what, say, $50-60k to be able to now charge $14 per night to park your car. Now how did this happen? Did they raise the parking fee from $12 to $14 or the like? No, they went from ZERO to $14 per night. For what, to help pay for the construction of the barriers or for that employee in the booth? C'mon Omni, you could've greased me first. My last visit also involved bringing a handicap child (they are ADA friendly). I kindly asked where the Handicap parking lot is...the Concierge scratched her head and honestly said, "well, I don't know. I'm not sure you can park in that area yet....I mean..I'm not sure if we put a gate on that area....we do charge for parking you know...hold on...blah blah"
Do they waive these fees for Platinum or Black level type guests like other places? Negatory.
Are they considering charging fees for towels, (I used to get three towels in a king room, now only two) water and electrical usage, ice, and use of the elevator? Probably.
Just saying this. Well beyond the fact that you don't go from $0 to $14-just keep in mind the extra $35 or so per night in fees when booking your room. And, these fees now put the JW and a whole lot of other hotels back in the mix of places to consider.
Curiously, I did not get the typical Omni Orlando email survey (Joe Oberle, manager or someone) after my last stays. Mmmmmn.
One last thing. Even though I called (like I always do before any visit) to ask about special events, weddings before my last visit, and was told that the pool would be open, it was indeed closed on two days of my stay for a wedding or something. Nothing like planning a day to sit by the pool with the family, buying overpriced drinks and food, and the pool police arriving 15 minutes later to tell us that we are no longer welcome.
Fun.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank TD10
We appreciate your perspective as a past loyal guest of the resort. We regret that you don't plan to return and hope that you will reconsider. Best regards!
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 4, 2010

This is a beautiful resort with great amenities. The staff is helpful and courteous, but there is a blockage of communication regarding reservations and room assignments between the reservations desk and the front desk. The property is located about 20 minutes from the Orlando parks which turns out to be nice because the kids are not wound up or whiny by the time you get back to the hotel. The housekeeping is very poor. The rooms, while recently updated, are dusty and have miscellaneous trash left behind from the previous traveler. I know because they changed our room three times. Our first room had a sewage problem and stunk, the second was just temporary until they found us another room (?). It was dusty and bathroom was not cleaned. The third room: dusty, hair between the sheets, etc. The head of housekeeping said they did not have new pillows, but did come and change the room herself. If this stuff does not bother you--in all fairness, the resort has tennis, golf, running trail, great pool, kids club and activities, great restaurants. The way my problems were handled was very acceptable and I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing our resort. We appreciate the fact that you brought your concerns to our attention during your stay so we could appropriately address them. Now that summer travel is winding down we are able to take a number of rooms out of use to focus on their maintenance and housekeeping needs. We hope you will return and see the improvements.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 1, 2010

The hotel was clean and the rooms were nice. I asked for one of the few balcony rooms and got one facing the parking lot; it was loud on the balcony with all the HVAC equipment but I was glad to get it. The hotel is at least 5 miles West of the Disney area with not much around other than the resort itself. The rooms would be a value if you didn't have to add on the $30 a day in parking and resort fees. Overall service seemed average at best.

Pool and resort areas were nice with plenty of options. Water slide was great and lazy river was good. One oddity, they had plenty of loungers but no chairs at all! Not a single table and chair set in all of the pool area. I was shocked to see that left over drink cups (garbage) were not picked up in the middle of the lazy river overnight, and there were many! A towel left in there was picked up but none of the plastic cups. All in all a nice resort and a good stay, I think we will be back so our kids can check it out next time. There were a lot of kids staying there and they all seemed to be loving it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. We will use it to improve in the areas you noted. We hope you and your family decide to return. Our recreation team is focused on the enjoyment of our guests.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Davenport
Lake Buena Vista
Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World Resort
Reunion Resort of Orlando
#12 of 152 in Kissimmee
Villas of Grand Cypress
#1 of 335 in Orlando
Waldorf Astoria Orlando
#28 of 335 in Orlando

Been to Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate? Share your experiences!