“Omni's a great choice for a WDW vacation”

Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Davenport
Toronto
“Omni's a great choice for a WDW vacation”
Reviewed September 1, 2008

Loved our stay at the Omni. The hotel lobby is stunning and the landscaping around the grounds is very well done. Our room was a good size, with nice linens and towels, spacious bathroom with marble tiles and overlooked the resort area (rather than the parking lot). The room also had a small work desk with wired and wireless internet, if you bring your laptop. There are three pool choices - a lazy river, a formal pool and ‘family’ pool with decent-sized slide. There is also a splash pad nearby for smaller children and two hot tub areas. The lazy river in particular was a great way to spend time. Around the formal pool, there are cabanas with loungers and TVs to rest during the day without going to your room (extra $$ of course). On the Saturday, there was a DJ at the family pool who also ran some games for the kids. Weekends were pretty crowded and it was hard to get somewhere to sit but the pools themselves are so big they didn’t feel crowded.

There are lots of things to do other than swimming – fitness centre, tennis courts, basketball court, beach volleyball and of course golf. All were in excellent condition.

Don’t be put off by the location. Yes, it is away from the 192/I-Drive hotel strip but it is very convenient for WDW – it’s just off I-4, a short drive south of WDW. It is an easy drive to the park and traffic was never a problem. It’s a bit further drive to Universal Studios but not unmanageably far. There is a coach shuttle from hotel to the WDW parks which we used several times. Some evening departure times from the park are inconvenient if you want to see fireworks so you may want to take the car for those days you want to stay late.

Our package included a breakfast buffet which was served in David’s on the main floor, overlooking the lazy river which made for a great location. The fare was pretty basic: it usually included scrambled eggs, sausage and waffles, a selection of cold cereals, doughnuts and bread for toast. The first few days there was a nice fruit salad but later on during our stay it was substituted for an uninteresting fruit cocktail.

There are several on-site dining choices but I can’t comment on them. Off-site, the area is still being developed so the options for dining locally are limited – there are a McDonalds, a pizza place, Subway and Chili’s in the retail area near the hotel. There is also a Publix for grocery items and some ready-made meal items (think subs, salads and roast chicken) and a Walgreen’s for drug store stuff. For other restaurant choices, one option is to take the short drive north to 192 where there are many restaurants.

A couple of niggles. At check-in we got two card keys - one never worked and one night in the middle of our stay the other one stopped working after getting home late (required a trip down to the front desk). Also the AC in the public areas is set to absolutely freezing – fortunately you can control the temperature in the room to warm it up a bit.

When comparing prices, don’t forget that there is a $15 (plus tax) resort fee which is paid at the hotel.

• Liked — location, lazy river
  • Disliked — quality of breakfast buffet
2 Thank DrFToronto
K_Burnett, Leisure Sales at Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate, responded to this review, September 11, 2008
Thank you for your comments, for pointing out the amenities you enjoyed and the benefits of our location. Thank you for shaing your photos too!

I would like to point out that resort fees in the Orlando area are very common. Our $15 daily resort fee allows guests of the resort to enjoy many resort services and activities and eliminates the incidental charges normally associated with these services.

Some of the services include: In room high speed and wireless Internet access, self parking, scheduled transportation to Disney Theme Parks, unlimited use of the fitness center use of recreational facilities, daily newspaper, In room coffee, and local and 800 access call connections.

Thank you for being our guest. We hop you will return. Best regards!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
florida
Reviewed September 1, 2008

We stayed here the weekend before school started 8/15-8/17/08.
The resort was very clean & well maintained. Our favorite spot was the pool/lazy river. My son was afraid of the slide at first. I had to coax him to try it. Once he did it he wouldn't stop. When we arrived to checkin we were given a room on the 3rd. floor. We took the elevator up & found the room which had the door open & linens on the floor. My family & I went back down to the lobby & notified them & we were issued another room on the 7th. floor. I remembered when I had made the reservations I was told my son would receive a kids package upon checkin. I went back down to the lobby & asked for one. I was told we are out. My son was disappointed. Yes, you can hear people in the wee hours talking as they walk by your room. I noticed the door has a big opening at the bottom. Our second day we spent most of the day by the pool & lazy river. We ordered drinks & cheesy fries by the pool. The prices were reasonable. We got back to the room @ 4:00 & our room was not taken care of by housekeeping. We called @4:30 to ask for service. We needed towels & trash to be removed. They never came. I looked out the door & saw a housekeeper a few doors down. I asked her to please give us clean towels & remove the trash. I told her not make our beds now because we were going to take naps. That night we ate @ a pizza place in the Publix stripmall. It was delicious. There was suppose to be a dive in movie @ 8:30 by the quiet pool. We waited till 9:00 & no movie came on. A lot of families were waiting too. There was suppose to be popcorn & soda we never saw any. I guess there was some tech. problems. We left after a 1/2 hour due to the mosquitos. We arrived back to our room & noticed the t.v was on in our room. We were nervous because we knew the t.v. was off before we left. They had done a turndown service & left milk/cookies for my son. He enjoyed that. We stayed till 11:40 the next day (checkout is @ noon). I called the bellboy station @ 11:10 & was told would be 10-15 mins. it actually took almost 30 mins. My family went down to get the car while I waited in the room. I was getting worried about them waiting out front with the car. One other experience we had I found a small snake by the ledge of the lazy river on our second day. I'm from Florida so I do see them quite often. But, many tourists were frightened by seeing it. I notified a maintenance man walking by & he said he would be back. He returned 20 mins. later & said he asked someone at the resort & was told it's okay it won't do anything. It was on the ledge hissing at people as we floated by. It was rather creepy!! My son, was going down the slide & I know if he had seen it would have left to go to the room. We did have a good time & met some nice locals like us. We would like to return. We weren't notified of any transportation to the theme parks upon checkin. I noticed other reviews stated that.

• Liked — the recreation areas
  • Disliked — the housekeeping
    • Check in / front desk
K_Burnett, Leisure Sales at Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate, responded to this review, September 16, 2008
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your weekend. We are very sorry that we did not have a kids backpack available for your son. If you will contact us and reference your posting, we will be happy to send one to your home address.

Our Director of Recreation recalled the weekend that you were here and the delay with the dive-in movie. We had to switch to a new projector and due to the humidity, the projector lens fogged, which further delayed the start of the movie. We are sorry that we did not get it up in time for your family to enjoy.

We plan to use your comments to review with our associates that while small, harmless snakes are common in FL, they should always be relocated when they are found to be in guest areas.

Thank you again for being our guest and for your feedback. Best regards!
Orlando, FL
Reviewed September 1, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Omni Orlando resort from August 29 through September 1, 2008 (we checked out the same day I wrote this review so the experience was still very fresh in my mind.) It was our first time at the Omni and it is definitely a top notch resort. It only fell short in one way, which I will get to below.

First, the positives about our stay:
1) The staff was very hospitable and while we did not use the services of the concierge or other staff often, the people we did interact with were attentive to our needs.

2) We stayed in their standard Deluxe room. It was very clean, the bathroom was quite large, and it was equipped with everything you would expect from this type of resort.

3) The pool area was fantastic. We spent most of our time at the "formal" pool and the lazy river. Since we don't have any kids both of those areas were a bit more laid back than the family pool. There were plenty of chairs, towels, and umbrellas throughout the day even with the typical rude tourists that put a chair on a towel at 9AM and don't return to sit in the chair until noon.

4) The rest of the grounds were very well kept. We took a couple walks on the trail that goes around the par 3 course and toured the tennis courts, sand volleyball court, and other areas.

Now, for the one negative part...

The service we received during two meals at Trevi's, one during dinner and one during breakfast, and one at Croc's were all disappointing. During dinner, the waiter only came to our table 3 times during the whole dinner and we could not even so much as get our drinks refilled since he was never around. During breakfast on Sunday morning, the waiter seemed annoyed that we asked to order from the menu instead of eating from the buffet and that set the tone for lack of service throughout our meal.

At Croc's there were numerous issues. My drink, which I ordered when I first sat down was completely forgotten and did not arrive until after our meals came. We received no silverware or napkins until we asked for them after our meals came. And my meal, when it did arrive, was completely wrong.

I do want to note that we ate at Zen the night before we left and the service there was outstanding. At one point our order was delayed because of an extraordinarily large sushi order from a different party. Not only did both our waiter, Juan, and the manager, I think his name was TJ, apologize for the wait but that part of our meal was comped because of the long wait time.

Overall, we had a great time. Between the extremely high food and drink prices and the questionable service at the restaurants I probably wouldn't eat as many meals there if we went back but that would not stop me from returning and it does not prevent me from recommending the Omni Orlando to others.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for choosing to stay with us over the Labor Day holiday and for pointing out all the positive aspects of your stay. We apologize for the service you experienced at two of our restaurants. We will use your comments to address the service issues you pointed out. We will also share with our associates of ZEN your feedback to encourage them. We look forward to your return and hope that you will see improvement in the areas of concern. Best regards!
ENGLAND
Reviewed August 27, 2008

We stayed at the Omni for 17 nights and have just got back to England.

My family and I (wife, two children) booked this hotel because of the good reviews on Trip Advisor. It was to celebrate our wedding anniversary and son's birthday.

We had great expectations but came away disappointed due to certain mishaps. We had e-mailed the hotel asking if we could have a nice room due to our celebrations and I received a positive reply saying if possible everything would be done to accommodate us in this request. However when we got to the hotel we were given a standard room with a very long walk from the lifts. It was as if our e-mail communication had never existed.

When we complained to the receptionist and showed her the original email communication she said she would sort a suite out for the rest of our stay. The following day when I asked about our new room at reception no one knew anything about it.

We were finally given a junior suite with a very poor view overlooking a roof. We had a blocked toilet on two occasions and my daughter was unable to sleep in the sofa bed because the mattress was too thin, we had to request extra support for her back. To be honest it certainly was not anything special.

We appreciate we had no right to a free upgrade but we had been led to believe this would happen and so it was a bad start to our holiday. Also I had to ask about the welcome pack for our children because the receptionist did not give us them on our arrival.

Breakfast in Davids club was included in our package but it was not very good as the choice was limited. However Trevi's restaurant had a lovely breakfast, with everything you could wish for, although you had to pay for it!

The restaurants were good and a special mention to Marie in David's club, she was a very pleasant lady.

The swimming pools were enjoyable with the lazy river.

There was free transport to the theme parks although depending on which one you were visiting you could be on the bus an hour and twenty minutes at times. One of the drivers named Robert was very helpful and considerate.

For a short stay hotel it fits the bill, but if you are stopping for longer it falls short. For example the menu's were limited and Trevi's was closed on certain days.

May I thank the hotel for the bubbly and cake which was a nice gesture, but we would rarther have had a lovely room to remember our holiday and then we would have been looking forward to perhaps another visit.

• Liked — Restaurants and Lazy river
  • Disliked — The room and poor welcome
2 Thank nottyash
K_Burnett, Leisure Sales at Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate, responded to this review, September 2, 2008
We regret that we were not able to accommodate you earlier in the junior suite that we eventually upgraded you to. I'm glad we were able to upgrade you at no extra charge. Considering that you stayed 17 nights, our two and three bedroom villas might have suited your needs better, with a living room, dining room, den, a kitchen with full size appliances, and two or three bathrooms. Plus, you would still have access to all the recreational amenities of the resort. Thank you for sharing your feedback, and we hope you will reconsider and stay with us again. Best regards!
Tuckerton, New Jersey
Reviewed August 19, 2008

This is our second stay at Omni and probably our LAST. Not happy with condition of the room. Pulled down comforter and no top sheet to be found only a nasty inside out mattress pad cover covered in TONS of human hair(*not ours*!)since it was our first night in the room. I was appalled to say the least. The mattress pad was disgusting and no sheet was under the comforter.

I called housekeeping and the gentlemen directed me to the supervisor on duty and told me that the woman would be up to assist me. I explained to her what I found and she looked at me like I had "3 heads"!. As if I took her away from whatever she was doing. She wasn't the least bit concerned and I could tell she could care less by the expression on her face. No apology, no nothing! This is supposed to be a 4-5 star hotel and it felt like a 1 star. I didn't even want to sleep in this bed and we were staying for 5 nights! She then told me someone would be up to change the sheets.

Another problem was that housekeeping never showed up til at least 4-5pm every day and "totally missed" the room one day so I had to flag down someone from housekeeping and she said she would tell the woman on our floor (8th floor) to make our room up.
We were gone early in the am and still found our room to be unmade every day when returning in the late afternoon. Beds were not very comfortable either for a hotel such of this caliber.

Pool was best feature of this hotel. Zero entry pool is great for little ones. Food overpriced. Front desk staff better than last time around. Bottles of water for 5.00 a piece is ridiculous.

I must say the bellhops and valet guys were very nice and always acknowledged us every day we left the hotel or upon arrival.

We have stayed at the JW Marriott in the past and will be returning there as the level of service is in line with a 5 star hotel. Marriott also has a very nice lazy river pool also and superb bed comfort and housekeeping was much better,

I don't think we will be returning anytime soon and working in the airline industry we do a lot of traveling..

I was really put off by the nasty hair on the sheets and there were many, many hairs half way down the mattress pad sheets!! It was so gross.

It is a very nice hotel but lacks the level of service that it should have.

• Liked — Lazy rri
  • Disliked — HAIRS all over the sheets!
3 Thank twinadomom
K_Burnett, Leisure Sales at Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate, responded to this review, August 26, 2008
Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that we failed to meet your expectations and our standard of service. The housekeeping management team recalled your situation and attempted to reach you by phone last weekend before they were aware of your Trip Advisor posting. They had already taken action to replace the mattress pad in your room and are currently in the process of inspecting all rooms for extra housekeeping and maintenance needs, (repairs, touch up painting, etc.). We hope you will reconsider and stay with us again in the future. Best regards.
Galway
Reviewed August 19, 2008

This was one of 4 hotels we stayed in on a trip to Florida in June. We chose the Omni because we wanted to be a bit detached from the main tourist area, and it turned out to be a great choice. This is a very impressive hotel! The lobby is beautiful, with the shiniest marble floor I’ve seen, and there were plenty of comfy armchairs and sofas dotted around. The bedroom was lovely, with a fantastic view over the golf course, well-appointed bathroom, and very comfortable bed. Breakfast was included in our package, and was a huge buffet with everything from porridge (oatmeal) to fresh fruit and berries, and of course, the ubiquitous omelette station (the hot food buffet was lacking in grilled tomato, though, which we thought was a bit odd – it must not be part of the breakfast experience in the US). In terms of dinner, we ate in both David’s club and Zen, and both exceeded expectations (the Zen experience is especially worth a mention as being one of the nicest Asian meals we’ve eaten). The highlight of the hotel, as far as I’m concerned, though, was the lazy river. We whiled away several hours just drifting along, peacefully. Every hotel should have one.

We hired a car through the Hertz rental desk on site, and it was delivered to the hotel for us, which was handy, as our flight hadn’t arrived in until very late the previous night, and we didn’t fancy trying to navigate our way from the airport to the hotel in the dark, so it was a relief to know that we could rent the car from the hotel.

We also made use of the free shuttle bus to Disneyworld. The hotel may appear to be well off the beaten track, but it’s actually one of the closest hotels to the freeway exit for Disney, which meant transfer times were relatively short.

The only slight disappointment in the hotel (from a European point of view) was in the spa…specifically, that it didn’t have a thermal suite. Then again, neither the Ritz Carlton in Key Biscayne, nor the Mandarin Oriental in Miami had one either, and both of those hotels pride themselves on having world-class spas, so again, they must not be popular in Florida, but it still felt like something was missing. The only other (minor) thing to note is that the aircon is set to “Arctic” in the public areas, so bring a light jacket or cardigan to stave off the goosebumps!

All told, though, I’d have no hesitation in recommending the Omni to anyone looking for a hotel that isn’t too “Disney”, but is still close enough to the parks.

• Liked — Variety of restaurants
  • Disliked — Freezing aircon!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for choosing our resort and for your wonderful comments our restaurants, our location, and our pools. We will take into account your suggestions to add the tomato dish to our buffet and the thermal suite to the spa's offerings. We value your feedback and hope you will return. Kind regards!
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2008

We also booked through Priceline and were allocated a nice room which was spacious, clean and well appointed. We were on the 8th floor although we did not specifically ask for a high floor room. We liked this hotel, particularly the pool area and the lazy river. However, I needed to use the Business Centre and was dumbfounded to receive a bill for 37 bucks for about 40 minutes internet use. The hotel calls it internet access fee, others might term it daylight robbery.

• Liked — Spacious rooms
  • Disliked — Business Center Charges
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank redhand
K_Burnett, Leisure Sales at Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate, responded to this review, August 21, 2008
Thank you for taking time to post your experience at our resort. We are pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay.

I wanted to point out that if you travel with a laptop that has wireless capability, you will have a wireless interenet connection in-room, in all public space areas (excluding meeting rooms), and even in the private cabanas located at the formal pool.

If you don't have a computer, 11th Hour Business Center offers 24 hour access, and is subject to computer use and internet access charges.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Davenport
Hilton Orlando
#54 of 339 in Orlando
Villas of Grand Cypress
#1 of 339 in Orlando
Florida Center
Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort

Been to Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate? Share your experiences!