“Nice hotel, but make sure to have a rental car!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate

Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Davenport
Bethany, Oklahoma
“Nice hotel, but make sure to have a rental car!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

The hotel was nice, but older. This was more apparent in the pool/lazy river areas. The front staff was nice and very helpful. The room was always cleaned well and the water temperature/pressure was great. I booked a 102 days of summer package and would do that again. The only problems is the location. It is about 15 minutes from Downtown Disney and 30 minutes from Universal. I would recommend a rental car if you stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank avelonokc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (525)
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We had come to visit the Disney land along with our family and stayed here for a couple of days. The service was very good. Ambience is excellent though more suitable for Golfers than families visiting Disney and universal studios. Though we had a good bargain price at 120 USD per room we had to pay surcharge towards resort fees and self parking charges (about 40 USD). We did not try the food here as we were mostly roaming till late night. The golf course is good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jeereddy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

The service in particular was very good. They thought of all the details. Courteous, helpful, friendly. Everyone. We loved it. Would recommend it. Very family oriented. We were there for a conference and our boys weren't there but they would have loved it!

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Caryn M
ORLANDO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Years ago we came here for the first time and loved it!
Kids were smaller so the little kids area was great ..and lazy river was fun!
This time we stayed in a 3-bedroom villa.. Size was great!
Perfect for the 6 kids we had..
The downside:
Housekeeping showed up 10 minutes after we got in from all day at our overpriced small cabana at the pool..(I will get to that in a minute)..which was 3:40...we could not communicate..she was sweet but could only say towels and what time she leaves..which was 5..
I'm sorry but the most expensive room besides maybe some presidential suite at the main hotel..this should have been done..although front desk was apologetic.. That was all.
Yesterday at the pool we had a cabana at $240 a day after taxes..they were small..dirty..the TV was a joke ..you could barely see it..the server Jesus was very nice but he had to serve every cabana and all the other people at the Formal pool..
So orders were not correct at times..
I've never had a cabana that didn't have separate servers and other servers for pool guests ..you pay for the cabana for a reason..maybe I'm wrong?
These barely had room to eat in..so it was a pain..
The pool and the lazy river need to be maintained..
There were rust stains everywhere
Mold on the underside of the pool coping..
Really gross..
I'll get pictures of those next..
The only pics I have are the mold on my back porch..
My guess is the property is lacking staff..
Although the golf course and grass between villas and main look good..
They need to focus on the rooms and pools..
Oh by the way if you stay in the villa there is no late check out so if you are stuck paying for another day at the cabana you need to be out of your room by 11..
I think after spending over $2k in 2 nights..you can make an exception..guess not..
Bummer for them..
We are locals ..

• Stayed June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank FITMAMAOrlando
K_Burnett, Manager at Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear FITMAMAOrlando,

Thank you for being a return guest. We value your business and your feedback. We are very sorry for your experience and are addressing improvements in the areas that you pointed out including pool maintenance, detailing of the cabanas and expanding the service offerings of the cabanas. We are reaching out to you in hopes that you will contact us for further follow up regarding your stay and further input. We hope for the opportunity to serve you again in the future. Best regards!
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is my wife and my first extended stay in an Omni hotel. Super-simplistic summary: if money is no object, you'll have a wonderful couple of days here. Just be careful of your booked rate vs what you will actually pay.

Pros:
* Fantastic service. Every single person was friendly, professional, and really did their best. This was Orlando in June, when every family of 30 descends upon the region. Even though tourists were swarming like locusts, the staff did a great job of keeping a positive attitude.
* The rooms are nice. We had a view of the conference center roof + the parking lot, and it was *still* a nice room + a nice view.
* The recreational facilities are really nice. The golf course is fun to walk around, the pools (and rivers) are in great shape, etc.
* There is a lot of nice wildlife in the vicinity (particularly of the ornithological branch.)
* Unlike much of central Florida, they work to keep this place bug-free. I found some discreetly-located bug zappers, and I had 0 bites during my time in the hotel / around the pool.
* I can't comment on the golf, but the course looked nice. I'll assume that's a positive thing.
* My wife had a 'deluxe mani-pedi', and she reported that it was excellent.

Cons:
* It's out of town; Championsgate feels like an outpost on the Western front. It's not too far from Disney World, I suppose. But it's a long way from Orlando, and by extension, anywhere you'd want to eat that isn't Disney or a hotel.
* The restaurants in the hotel are nice (and there is one budget-friendly cafe), but the majority of them are rather pricey and their hours a bit restrictive.
* The hotel credits the lap pool as a 'serious pool', but there's no serious enforcement, and the pool is 3 feet deep from end-to-end. So, expect children interfering during your laps.

And a special section for the next Con:
* Fee-combination critical hit! I normally don't complain about prices in my reviews, but I think what this hotel (or perhaps Orlando at large) does is a little regressive.

If you look at the receipt, each night looks like this:
** Room charge (not saying)
** State tax on room charge (7%)
** County tax on room charge (6%)
** Osceola county assessment on room charge (1%)
** Resort fee ($20.00)
** Resort fee state tax (7%)
** Resort fee county tax (6%)
** Resort fee county assessment (1%)
** Self parking fee ($16)
** Sales tax on self-parking fee (7%)

Altogether, this whopping list meant that the total spend per night (for us) was about 45% higher than the booked rate. If you get a better rate than we did, you'll pay a higher percentage.

That aside, there are several things wrong with this list:
1. The resort fee does not include parking. Most places (Palm Springs, Hawaii, etc.) tend to bundle them together.
2. The parking fee is high. When you look around and realize you're at the edge of nowhere, you wonder why self-parking costs this much. (And while people might say you don't *need* to rent a car, the fact remains that Orlando is America's largest car rental market.)
3. Urban taxes make sense. When you're in San Francisco or NYC, you look around at the city and realize that maintaining that infrastructure and costs of living probably warrants that expense. But.. other than roads, this resort is surrounded by forests, lakes and swamps. Why does the government require 13-14%?

I realize that the points about taxes aren't exlusively relevant to this property, but I do think it's warning travelers considering Orlando.

But that aside, I thought the hotel was perfectly nice. Recommended, just be informed! :)

Room Tip: Ask to face the pool to enjoy the sunsets. (Or the front of the hotel for sunrises. :)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank acmorris
Neptune Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

I am so impressed with this hotel. Stayed once when attending parks and once for just a get away. It is a perfect place for both! Beautiful rooms, lobby, spa, grounds...everything. The pool is a perfect spot for the kids to play and relax with a book. During our last visit we were at the pool from 10 am- 6 pm, lots to do, great poolside restaurant. We had dinner at Trevi's, their italian restaurant. The food was excellent as was the service! They LOVE kids! upon checkin kids get a fun gift and each night is aturn down service with fresh cookies and milk! Lots of fun activites for the kids...the spa, for the adults is fantastic as well. We have stayed at MANY Orlando hotels, Gaylord Palms, JW Marriott, Ritz Carlton, lots of Disney properties, Omni is the BEST, BEST, BEST value in orlando, by far! TIP: join their rewards program, lots of advantages, for free! Complementary beverages, pressings, shoe shine, lots of personal touches!

Room Tip: if you join the rewards program you have the opportunity to pick certain details you would like in a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LeighM760
Miami
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

It was our first stay at Omni due to work related conference. We have a great room rate without resort fee and parking fee, so I decided to take my family there.
First, conference facilities. Everything was perfect! The only suggestion to people who will be attending Omni Conference facilities in the future – take a jacket since it’s very cold over there!
Back to the hotel. Check in was long. There were only 2 people at front desk and 3 people in front of me, but it took me about 40 minutes to check in! A nice lady at the front desk told me they were out of room type I booked for, but I guess after looking at my chocked face impression she found a room I booked. Even though I had kids in my reservation, but not by my side at the check in (little ones will go crazy for being in the line for 40 minutes!), I was not given a backpack. I learned about backpack from other guests few days later and someone at concierge desk made my kids happy.
The room was great – balcony and pool view. We really enjoyed it! The only down side is people from other rooms with balconies were smoking and since we were so close to each other we had to smell it on regular basis… Room looked nice, but not like a $200-300 per night room. The bedding had some dirty marks on it and one décor pillow had some blood stains. Trimming between ceiling and wall had some cracks. Bathroom was big enough for 2 people, but black mold made me wonder how clean that place was. The way hotel is dealing with black mold is by adding grout between tiles on top of black mold… which is temporary solution. Black mold on the ceiling in the bathroom was untouched. Bath towels were not fresh or new looking. The bed was not comfortable to my taste, unfortunately. I understand different people have different preferences and I normally have no issues with hotel mattresses, but I hated one at Omni.
Pools were nice, but overcrowded. Some teenagers were behaving badly by pushing people. It’s not hotel fault, but I would love to see hotel employees dealing with it. The water slide was good for kids 36 inches or taller. Weather wasn’t perfect, so we missed one day due to heavy rain, and the slide wasn’t working on the following day, so my kids were unhappy. Hotel chairs and beds by the pool were reserved by people not even there. On the positive side, pool towels were provided at no extra charge and could be exchanges as many time as you want.
Food. Hotel did a great job for our conference by preparing quick lunch for us ($$). It was nice of them! On the hotel side, we went to Crocs few times and loved it. The quality of food was great there though alcohol drinks we found expensive. A little café on LL level (pool level), don’t remember the name, had some pre-packed salads, soups and sandwiches alone with snacks and ice-cream. I had soup every day and it was very good! Best $4 I spend for soup ever! However, the pre-packed salad (chief salad) was not fresh.. ham and cheese didn’t taste right at all.
Beverage to room serving in the morning was very disappointing. Even though we indicated we have 2 people in our room, we were given just enough water for 1 cup of tea as well as one tea bag. Not to mention the water was not even hot… We opted out going to the coffee shop each morning to get 2 cups of tea instead.
During the time we spend in the hotel there was a road construction work, so it was a nightmare to leave hotel or come back to the hotel. Trip to Publix or McDonalds took us 30 minutes.
To summarize, if I was at the hotel paying full nightly rate + parking ($17 per night for self parking) + resort fee ($20 per night) I would be very disappointed, so I don’t think I would ever return to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Room with balcony facing the pool was great!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank FloridiansMiami
K_Burnett, Manager at Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear FloridiansMiami,

Thank you for being our guest and for taking time to submit your feedback. We apologize for your checkin experience and we are addressing this issue with training and new procedures already in place. We appreciate your comments about the soup you enjoyed at Broadway Deli and will relay this feedback along with your comments about the salad and your Select Guest beverage delivery to our food and beverage team. We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future. Best regards!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Davenport
Villas of Grand Cypress
#1 of 335 in Orlando
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,365 reviews
Lake Buena Vista
Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World Resort
Reunion Resort of Orlando
#13 of 153 in Kissimmee
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,523 reviews

Been to Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate? Share your experiences!