“Great place for a conference”

Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Davenport
Hanover, New Hampshire
“Great place for a conference”
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I just recently attended a three-day business conference at the Omni Orlando at Champions Gate, and I have to say, it is a very comfortable facility, with very attentive staff.

However, it's also a golf resort/spa/family vacation hub. Even in August in Orlando the place was always very busy , with people coming and going, and the pool and "Lazy River" on the property were hopping. I can't imagine what it must be like in "peak season" in Florida.

Room Tip: I had a premiere room in the hotel, large, comfortable, king-size bed, good view of the pool and gol...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed August 7, 2011

This resort is absolutely gorgeous. The rooms are stylish and clean, and the grounds were very well kept. We were thrilled when our room overlooked the pools and golf course. We were able to see hot air balloons flying by in the morning and beautiful sunsets in the evening. The family pool was nice, but the lazy river was our favorite... the adults were able to enjoy floating in the river while the kids were kept entertained with water cannons, waterfalls, and bubbling jets. There is a Champions 9 Par 3 lighted golf course just past the pool that is also a fun family activity. We rented a small golf bag (3 clubs) and enjoyed walking the course while seeing tons of wildlife (birds, alligators, turtles, etc). The hotel is located about 10 minutes south of Disney... close enough to drive to, but far enough that it calmer and away from all the crazy touristy sites and traffic. There are various dining options on site, or a Publix and McDonalds right down the road. We enjoyed our stay here, and were actually glad that we didn't have Disney tickets, because we didn't want to leave the hotel!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 1, 2011

You could literally have a great time without leaving the property. Great kids activities, beautiful golf course. Rooms are lovely as was the ballroom. Grounds are immaculate.
Linens where very nice but not exactly the sumptuous bedding expected of the resort. The valets were awesome but incredibly overworked/understaffed. The staff was courteous but not quite up the resort level one would expect. All in all a great time and would stay again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
charlotte nc
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Our family stayed in this hotel overnight while waiting to check in to our vacation rental home. Everything is immaculate and the pool areas are beautiful. We would stay again in a heartbeat. The only reason why we didn't give a perfect rating is the beds were very uncomfortable. The bedding itself is lovely but the mattresses left us stiff the next morning.

1 Thank 5luvnthebeach
Glen Rock, New Jersey
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We came back again, and this resort is still the best! We were not happy with being on the 2nd floor this time, but other than that, the resort, the restaurants and the people are super. We will come back again not because of the Disney Parks, because of the resort. I hope they stay around for a very long time.

Tennessee
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The grounds of this resort are absolutely beautiful and very impressive! I was able to get a 4 night stay through Priceline for less than $100 per night! However, I guess I am more amenable to less expensive properties that actually give you more value than here. I was on a limited budget and thoroughly researched my costs up-front and had the exact amount of money I needed for this trip and no extra!! Upon check-in, I was NOT prepared to be treated like I was a second class citizen, but that is how I felt -- I had a debit card tied to my bank account, but not a credit card, and I did not want them to use it for any "incidentals" or the daily resort fees (which, by the way were outrageous and on top of that, with tax added on!)-- I wanted to pay cash! I had enough cash to give them for the entire stay; however, the desk clerk was very condescending to me and kept telling me I had to have a credit card for the incidentals. I told her there wouldn't be any incidentals!!! I was in a hurry because I had stayed at another hotel for the first 3 days of my trip and had to get to a conference within an hour and was trying to get checked in, luggage settled, and my dd and her best friend settled before leaving. The desk clerk had me almost in tears because she was refusing to take my cash -- so I asked her what I was supposed to do because I had already paid for my room and I only had cash for the other charges! Someone else finally came out of the office area and asked what the problem was and then she finally said she would work with me. They wouldn't allow us to take our own luggage up to the room either. We HAD to use their valet service (and therefore, HAD to tip for something I could do on my own!) Same on the day we checked out -- they wouldn't let us take one of the carts to our room and take our own luggage out to the car (made me go get my car from the self-park area and drive up to the valet area for it to be loaded. That absolutely drives me insane!!!!!!!! I am perfectly able to load my own luggage -- did they think I was going to steal their silver plated cart??? The concierge was no help to me either. Upon check-in, I was told that the concierge would arrange shuttle pickup for the parks. The times I was at the hotel (and not in meetings) there was no one at the concierge desk. On Friday morning, when I wanted a shuttle to go that afternoon, I waited at the concierge desk, only to be told that I had to call so many hours in advance (which would have been impossible because there was no one at the desk!!!) At this point, I was REALLY frustrated, so we just drove to the Downtown Disney/Marketplace area and parked there and took a Disney shuttle to Epcot. Doing it this way, we did have to go to the different resort stops on the way, and it took a little longer, but that was ok with me! That night, I asked the desk clerk about a shuttle for Sat and she gave me a card with a number to call. I called the # and got an answering machine that said it was after hours. So, first thing, Sat morning I called and arranged a shuttle (or so I thought). We were at the front door at the designated time, and when the shuttle arrived, he asked me for our tickets! What?!!! So, I had to go wait again at the front desk only to be told to get the tickets at the concierge desk - over to that desk and wait --then finally get tickets!!! There was another couple on this shuttle and they were very nice to wait for us! They told us this was their second shuttle, so they knew the procedure, but the same thing had happened to them the first time!!!! EXTREMELY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE for an AMENITY that is advertised! The rooms were large and very nice. However, I am the type of traveler that prefers a mini fridge and microwave in my room. A fridge would have been $20 extra per night!!! So, I made the twice daily looonnnnggg hike down the hallway to the ice machine every day. This is a HUGE hotel complex but the elevators and ice machines were all on one end of the hotel. They did have $5 bottles of Evian Water on the desk which I gave strict orders to my dd not to be touched!!! The redeeming factor for this hotel is the lazy river and swimming pool areas. I thoroughly enjoyed my relaxation time (as little as it was) on their lazy river --until Sat, when all the kids were in it and playing stack the inner tubes!! But, even then, it was nice. One thing I don't understand is why they close the pool areas so early when the hotel rooms are so far away from the pools? If the noise from the bands in the nightclub don't bother guests, why would noise from the pool? They closed at 9 or 10 pm which would have been a perfect time to relax in the hot tub for me, but the gates were locked! I did browse the shops before I left, but I certainly couldn't afford anything in them (same for the 2-3 restaurants). The hotel was also at an exit that was just then being developed, so last year, there was only a McDonald's at the exit along with a couple of gas stations and a Publix (I think) grocery store. I bought breakfast items and sandwich items for the girls from the grocery store and then we went to McD's at night. That was the busiest McDonald's I have ever seen! There may be more now around the area, but I don't recommend this "resort" to anyone on a limited budget or even to families. Although there were children, the only thing available for them was the pool. The only other activities there that I saw were the golf course and the walking trail around it. I won't ever book this hotel again and will make sure I stay away from this area when bidding on Priceline again!

Room Tip: Probably not bid through Priceline!!! Might get a room closer to the elevators then!
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
K_Burnett, Manager at Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry for your experience at the concierge desk in trying to secure shuttle service. Since you last stayed with us in August of 2010, we have made many changes at the concierge desk and have since changed transportation companies. I'm sure you would be serviced much sooner at the concierce desk, and one of the great things about our new transportation is that there are no addtional hotel stops on the way to the Disney Theme Parks! Also since you were here last we have added mini refrigerators to all guest rooms so there is no longer an additional charge. They are located behind one of the doors of the dresser/TV stand. They are a new feature that we added along with the new LCD hi definition flat panel TV's. Lastly, you'll be glad to know that from Memorial Day through Labor Day, the pool has extended their hours until 11pm so you can enjoy a few more turns around the lazy river. We hope you will reconsider and decite to visit us again. Best regards!
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The Omni Championsgate is a very nice resort, but it is way too big for my taste. The pool, complete with lazy river, is lovely but all of the deck chairs were "saved" with towels or paperback novels by 8:30 am on a Sunday morning. Literally no place to sit after 9 am. I also was schocked to see that the pool remained open and full of kids even though there was a violent lightning storm going on when we checked in -- you'd think for liability (and safety!) reasons they would get the kids out of the pool. Room was nice, clean and spacious, service was friendly. It feels like a 4 star convention hotel -- which is probably what they are shooting for. Next time, I will stay closer to the parks.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Davenport
Hilton Orlando
#54 of 339 in Orlando
Villas of Grand Cypress
#1 of 339 in Orlando
Florida Center
Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort

Been to Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate? Share your experiences!