“Home away from Home”

Holiday Inn Express Orlando - South Davenport
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Davenport
Reviewed October 28, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Express in Davenport, Fl. in mid September for 4 nights on a golf outing. We had never stayed at a Holiday Express before and really didn't know what to expect, but to our surprise we had a wonderful stay. It all started as we checked in at the front desk, we were greeted by two young ladies (Renata and Jahira) both with a great big and friendly smile, which right away made you feel at home . We knew then that we were going to enjoy our stay, they made sure that we had everything we needed for the stay. Each time we past the Check-In desk they always spoke and had a big friendly smile which made our stay much better or whom ever might be working did the same, which you don't find at all Hotels/Motels. Upon arriving to our room, again surprised, it had everything we needed --- very clean which is very important, a wonderful sleeping bed that I wanted to take home with me and the pillows on both beds, we found a set of firm and a set of soft pillows --so there, with everyone in mind for good night's sleep ----- a nice and clean bathroom, the safe was also nice to have and a very nice flat screen TV. Breakfast was nice. (ok) but it was hot, better than a continental breakfast and the young lady there was always eager to help The Motel's location was very convenient for what we were there for and will stay there again next year. We didn't get to meet the Manager, but maybe next time. Looking forward to next year.
Nita and Don Funderburg
Hoover, Alabama

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nita007

Reviewed October 15, 2010

Very nice and fairly new hotel. It's not very visible from the road but it has everything you need and it's absolutely INexpensive. It has free wifi, free breakfast, and the room is HUGE. Really great hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank travelclam
Reviewed July 27, 2010

This is a nice hotel if you are looking for something right off the freeway. It's not easy to find using technology (mapquest was way off in it's directions and my GPS couldn't even find it) because I think the name of the street "Hotel Drive" doesn't register with maps. If we would have called first we would have realized it's that big hotel you can see from the freeway and wouldn't have driven RIGHT PAST it! You need a car in this neighborhood because there isn't anything interesting nearby except a gas station and a Burger King. It has a nice little breakfast in the morning and our room was attractive, clean, and had a updated bathroom in it. The walls were pretty thin because I could hear people in the room next to us. We only stayed a night so I can't say much aside from that.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Trishyco
Reviewed June 16, 2010

We arrived kinda early for check in at i think around 1pm, got right into a room, which was upgraded to a king suite. When we opened the door, we were blown away. We loved it. I ofcorse dove right to the bed. It was sooooooooooooooo comfy!!!!!! I actually peeked under the sheets to see what type of mattress it was.lol Now my hubby and i are going to purchase a new one like this due to the fact we had wonderful sleep in it every night. very clean room. Bathroom was beautiful.ok the pink was a little odd, but who cares. Im not living there. Huge closet for all your hanging clothes, and locking digital safe. We also saw extra pillows and a big comfy soft down blanket in there.(we didnt use but it was nice it was already in there). Shower was a little odd but nevertheless it did its job. The kitchen was pretty helpful. Although i couldnt figure out why there were so many cabinets. Nice little fridge, although no freezer in it.(made me bummed, we had little travel freezer cubes for our coleman. oh well. no biggie. Nice sitting area, with couch and table. Not a great view from window , it was of the parking lot. lol once again, not really looking for niagra falls out my window. Really nice flat screen tv which ALWAYS worked, gave great reception and channels in HD. One request was if they put pay per view channels on their to watch movies would be great, they had a channel about a In demand thing, but we couldnt figure it out. The breakfast every morning was awesome. We ate scrambled eggs(omg soooo good) and omlets, biscuits and gravy, they had toasts, muffins, cereals, orange juice, coffee. Really good food. Ok long story short this is a wonderful hotel, NICE STAFF, wonderful manager(who checked us in) and a pleasent experience coming back to every night of our stay. WE WILL DEF stay again. Hands down.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AnthonyFigs
Reviewed May 10, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for six nights this month. This was our second visit to this HIExpress. We can't say enough about the management and staff here - very friendly and all gave us good advice. I need to especally mention the manager who was so helpful. Comfortable beds. Very quiet.
The breakfast was complimentary and quite good.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
HIEX_Orlando_South, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Orlando - South Davenport, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2010

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We always enjoy hearing comments on how great our staff is. We hope to see you again soon in the future! Thank you for staying with us!!

Reviewed May 4, 2010

Stayed here for a couple of nights on our arrival in Orlando, and happy with the choice. Easy to find, just a few miles down the I4 from the Disney/Kissimmee turn offs, and you can see the hotel clearly from the Interstate. Not sure how one of the previous reviewers managed to make 4 u-turns to get to the hotel, there was just one as far as I recall.

The room was spacious, clean and modern which I would guess you would expect with the hotel being fairly new, everything working OK for us. Nice flat screen TV and always good to have a safe in the room to store the passports and such. Staff on the desk were very pleasant.

Breakfast was fine, although we used Perkins one morning which is just along the road. Didn't use the little pool out the back, but it looked clean.

No problem in staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2010

This was by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. The rooms were noisy with paper thin walls and very dirty. We had a problem with our toilet in the middle of the night and instead of changing our room or sending someone to actually fix it, we were greeted by the front desk person (who is the ONLY employee at the hotel overnight) and a plunger. I ended up having to plunge the toilet because she had no idea what she was doing and even that could not fix it so we asked for another room. She told us no rooms were available, so I asked if we could keep the plunger. She refused to do that too. Of course the toilet broke again at 4am. Again, she came up with the plunger only this time it could not be fixed. She again refused to find us another room and proceeded to tell us that this sort of thing should be expected and that we needed to accept it. At this point we were clearly furious, but eventually she called and offered us another room (which she obviously had available the whole time). Begrudgingly we accepted the new room and chalked up the night to a single bad employee in an isolated incident. Unfortunately, this was not the case. The next day we decided to speak to the manager. The manager was just as rude as the other employee and he offered us nothing for our troubles. At night, we returned to our NEW room only to find that it had not been cleaned. We again called the manager who told us that it was a misunderstanding and there was nothing he could do because the maid staff was gone. This hotel is understaffed with rude employees, loud, and unclean. Oh and if you were expecting to take advantage of the free breakfast, don't. We were told that it was a hot breakfast but it was only bagels and toast. When we asked where the other stuff was they told us that it was coming out so we waited for 20 minutes and nothing came out so we just left. I don't know how this place has such good reviews, but I have stayed at many extremely cheap hotels in the area for 20-40 dollars a night and this is still the worst hotel experience I have ever had. Avoid this place unless you want to ruin your vacation.

• Stayed: April 2010
HIEX_Orlando_South, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Orlando - South Davenport, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2010

Thank you for your stay here with us...

I apologize that it was not an enjoyable experience.

Upon report of the incident to the front desk, the front desk employee on duty at that time did come to the room to attempt to resolve the issue as no other rooms of this particular room type were available. Again, later when it happened, she returned to try to again to resolve the problem. We are a limited service hotel as are all Holiday Inn Expresses and do not have 24 hour maintenance staff. Most hotels twice our size do not have this. Clogged toilets do happen, even with "preventative maintenance". At the time the other room became available it was a no-show room from the night. As it was clearly after 4 a.m. Eventhough, policy is to hold the room until check out time, the front desk clerk realized this situation needed attention and released the reservation, so that she could move the guest in house.

When the guest returned that afternoon and spoke with me. I apologized for the situation. I explained that I would credit back 5,000 priority club points as this stay was on his priority club points. Upon arriving back to the room they realized, yes, it had not been cleaned. They moved to this clean room that morning, so no the room was not cleaned that day as they just checked into it at 7 a.m. However, upon the complaint of it not being cleaned I left the front desk and took the guest the towels and offered shampoo. When I arrived to the room, it was just as clean as could be, only 1 towel had been used in the morning.

I explained I would leave the 5,000 point vouchers at the front desk for the guest to be picked up at check out. The guest never returned to the desk to retrieve the points so, they were sent out to the guest via mail. I would hardly say this is offering "nothing".

We do offer a full hot breakfast with a rotating menu. Some days we have biscuits and gravy, others we offer scrambled eggs, omlettes, bacon, sausage. We never just have bread items. If a guest comes down before breakfast starts, there may only be the bread items out, as the other items must be cooked and do come out just as breakfast begins.

We strive to make every guests stay as pleasant as possible, even when things do come up, however, some times it is completely impossible to make every guest happy, when they don't wish to be.

I am sure you can see judging by our other comments that this is an isolated incident and truly not the service we offer at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Orlando South-Davenport.

Shane Anderson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Davenport
Comfort Inn & Suites Maingate South
Hampton Inn Orlando - Maingate South
Days Inn & Suites Davenport
Days Inn & Suites Davenport
#11 of 13 in Davenport
Reunion Resort, A Salamander Golf & Spa Resort
Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate
Bahama Bay Resort Orlando by Wyndham Vacation Rentals

Been to Holiday Inn Express Orlando - South Davenport? Share your experiences!