“Great hotel with great service for a great price”

SpringHill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Dania Beach
Grecia, Costa Rica
“Great hotel with great service for a great price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

I was lucky enough to get this hotel with my Hotwire search. The staff here was great. I arrived on a red eye at 5:30 a.m. and the hotel clerk had the shuttle driver double back and pick me up right away. When I arrived at the hotel I expected to wait several hours for my room, but they let me check in right away and took me to my requested room away from the freeway. I wasn't even a guest until that evening but they invited me to eat the great included breakfast. I was pleasantly surprised with the variety of food that was available--scrambled eggs, sausage, ham, pancakes and of course, belgian waffles. It was great. Later in the morning, the shuttle returned me to the airport to pick up my rental car even though no one else was going to the airport. The desk staff was so gracious with offers of bottled water and the yummy chocolate chip cookies. There were several people using the computers in the business center and the manager offered to let me use her computer in the office. That was really unexpected! The suite was spacious, clean and very comfortable. It had two flat panel TVs and a very comfy sitting area with bar and refrigerator. I totally enjoyed my stay here.

Room Tip: Although I never noticed highway noise, you may want to ask for a room away from the freeway.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Kevin M, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. It's always nice to know that our guests are satisfied with the service and amenities of our hotel. I'm glad we were able to accommodate your need for an early check-in. Our goal is to exceed your expectations. I hope we have done that for you and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Kevin M.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Somerset, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

We were visiting family in the area, and spent 4-nights here. Since we were with family so much, all we actually did was sleep at this hotel, so I really can't give you a detailed report.

Due to it's close proximity to the Ft. Lauderdale Cruise Terminal, and the fact that this hotel provides complimentary shuttle service to the pier and a complimentary breakfast buffet, it is very crowded on week ends, because that's when most of the cruises depart. We were fortunate that when we checked in on a Saturday, there was only 1 person in line ahead of us - later on we saw folks lined up 5-6 deep! Luggage always seemed to be piled somewhere in the lobby. The buffet was also crowded, with folks at different stations witing for their toast to toast or their fresh made waffles to be done. But, this buffet is actually worth the wait! Two different types of eggs, waffles, bacon, sausage, breads and danishes, fresh fruit, yougert, cereals & oatmeal, plus. . . and two very efficient ladies that keep everything well stocked - a great buffet!

As I wrote we were there for 4-nights, and found Monday, and Tuesday (when there were no cruises) to be a very different, slow paced and uncrowded experience.

Our room was a typical 'suite'. Really a standard room with a divider between the bed and the couch/desk. The room met our needs except - no safe - and no dresser! We could not imagine a room without a dresser. That was tough juggling, since we had 8-days worth of clothes with us. I guess they only expect an overnight crowd living out of their suitcases in order to catch their cruise in the morning.

Good value for what we received. Would return, if only for the buffet.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FineTimer
Kevin M, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. It's always nice to know that guests like yourself are pleased with quality of our accommodations and with the level of service we always strive to provide. We want to exceed your expectations.

I'm glad you enjoyed our hot breakfast buffet. Although it does tend to get a little crowded on days when cruise ships are coming and going, I'm pleased you thought it was worth the wait for the quality and variety of options we offer.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again very soon.

Miami, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

This was my first and last experience with the Springhill Suites .I don't recommend this hotel if you are used to the quality of Marriott or other recognized hotel brands. I travel extensively, I'm also a platinum member of Marriott's rewards program, and always had a good stay experience with Marriott hotel brands (Courtyard, Residence Inn, etc.)

The ups: The hotel is well located close to restaurants, a cinema and a mall. There is easy access to the highway, airport, and alternate routes. They also provide free breakfast (eggs, sausages, bread, fruits) complimentary parking and wireless internet. Sounds great! But now the downs.

The downs: The room was clean but with many flaws. The curtains had holes in it and the door handle was fixed with and oversized screw so you had to be careful when closing or opening the door. One of the floor lamps was not working and neither was the bedside phone. The small fridge was not cooling and the door security peep hole was fixed with a piece of paper. Yes, you read right, a piece of paper. Some of the TV channels had no signal and the wireless internet will bump you out after a few minutes of inactivity. The staff is not rude but they should know a "Good Morning" or a "Hello" is always appreciated.

I'm providing this review to warn others because I chose this hotel based on other customers online reviews. After this experience, previous 4 and 5 star's reviews seem bogus to me. I can provide photos if someone doubts about the conditions of the room I was in (I paid $125/night). I checked out as fast as I could. I found another hotel nearby for $120/night, same amenities and in better conditions. The hotel has lots of potential and it is sad let it to waste. It needs a full renovation ASAP.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Tolofofo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. Thank you especially for expressing your concerns about the maintenance issues. We always strive to maintain the rooms with the utmost attention to detail, but unfortunately sometimes things are overlooked. I encourage you to contact me here at the hotel directly so we can further discuss your experience.

Houston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

Stayed at the Spring Hill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport and Port the night before departing on a cruise. They have a free shuttle (KSA) that will pick you up from the airport and drop you off at the port. Christian, the KSA concierge, was so helpful. He helped me plan which shuttle to take the day of the cruise ( he suggested the earlier one( 10:00am) because the later shuttle is always packed.) as well as rightfully suggested I use them to shuttle me and my travel buddy back to the airport upon our return to the port for $10 a person. Needless to say, my transfers went well and I will use them again. As for the hotel, it is an older, un-renovated Spring Hill. It was like at the Fairfield suite level of the Marriott chain. My room was large but the furniture was old and tattered and the sofa was sunken in. The bed was ok. If you arrive at night, there is mini mini store to buy snacks, sodas and beer. If you need dinner, however, you will need to walk across the street to the fast food joints or the semi -healthier, Chipotle. You can also go to the grocery near the mall area to buy snacks and soda to take onto the ship. Checkout was seamless, but the free buffet breakfast was absolute chaos. There was a line for waffles and most choices were at the scrap level by 9:00am. You could hardly find a place to sit. I ended up with a bowl of lukewarm oatmeal, a cup of the last bit of coffee and a banana. So go to breakfast early to avoid the big rush. The one nice thing about the hotel is it caters to the cruise folks, so you will meet new friends that will be on your cruise. You also get great tips and hints from seasoned cruisers. If I cruise out of FLL again, I will most likely stay again based on convenience rather than luxury.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kimborkr
Kevin M, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. It's always nice to know that loyal guests like yourself are pleased with quality of our accommodations and with the level of service we always strive to provide. We want to exceed your expectations.

I'm sorry if you were inconvenienced in our breakfast area. It does tend to get a little crowded on days when cruise ships are coming and going. You may be happy to know that we have scheduled a renovation for that area this year.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again very soon.

Quebec
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

We stayed one night at Springhill Suites, between 2 flights... We called the hotel for the shuttle as soon as we had our luggage and the shuttle arrived around 15 minutes later, check in was fast and friendly, the room was clean, the bed comfortable and the hotel located in a great area with lots of restaurants around, so no need for a car rental. We had an early flight the next morning so we had a quick dinner at the Mexican restaurant close by, which was really great we then had a good night rest and took the first morning shuttle at 4:30 am which was on time. No breakfast available at that time but there was coffee in the lobby.
We would efinetely stay there again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Kevin M, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this review, May 19, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments. It's always nice to know that loyal guests like yourself have a positive experience with our hotel and our team.

I'm glad you are considering staying with us the next time you're in the area and we look forward to serving you again.

Best regards,

Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night, before we flew out to the Virgin Islands. The hotel was OK. The reason I only gave them a 3, was the fact that they failed to pick us up from the airport after our vacation. We booked the "Park here, Fly there" package. We stayed one night, left our car in the parking lot...the shuttle dropped us off at the airport. On our return 6 days later, we waited outside the airport shuttle area for more than a hour. After 30 minutes I called, and was told that I should have called them to begin with! WTH? That would have been great information to have... I don't know, I think if you are booking a "park here, fly there" package, getting picked up from the airport should be part of that package! I complained, but on deaf ears. The manger did nothing, and when I called the Marriott directly, they did nothing. Even though I'm silver status with the Marriott, I will not stay again. I work too hard more my money to waste on bad service. Other than the shuttle, the hotel was fine.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 966rachelp
Burlington, KY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

I had reviewed this property in August of 2011, which you may be able to see through the reviews. It was not a good review but the hotel has improved greatly! The hotel is located 10 minutes south of the Ft. Lauderdale airport and Port Everglades Cruise port. The rooms and hotel were clean, the mold was removed from the windows and it is a great stay for an overnight before a cruise. They offer a very extensive hot and cold breakfast in the morning and a very nice pool. The best service is the transfer service to Port Everglades. This was the most efficient and organized service I have seen. When we checked in, the representative asked if we were cruising and had us see the concierge for reservations. The time of departure was based on the ship you were sailing. Since there were 6 cruises departing the day we left, it was handled with great precision. This is an excellent service and I would stay at this hotel again, even for a quick weekend to Ft. Lauderdale!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends