“Excellent Stay Prior To A Cruise”

Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Dania Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chatham ont
“Excellent Stay Prior To A Cruise”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

my family and I stayed here prior to our cruise, The service was excellent, the shuttle picked us up from the airport, we checked in and were hungary from the flight, they recommended a great bar to eat at and brought us to and from all complimentary. The comfort and quality of the rooms very fantastic, would definately recommend to anyone

1 Thank Anne C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for 1 night and got in at 1:30am. Shuttle from airport was prompt and receptionist was nice. We got to our room and the sink was filled with black gunk. We were too tired to switch rooms.

• Stayed December 2012
5 Thank eva5959
Winchendon, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed twice at this hotel, before and after the cruise. The reason was that transportation was available. However, upon arrival, we learned that transportation was indeed available to the cruise terminal, but we'd have to arrange our own transportation back. That did work out OK. The hotel is not particularly close to anything, other than an office park and the Hilton Hotel. So, you need to take a cab everywhere (or rent a car, as we did). The hotel staff is excellent, from the front desk to the guest services to the restaurant staff. The rooms are comfortable and quiet. There is a nice little gift shop. Free internet is available in the lobby, but there is a charge to use it in your room. The breakfast buffet is inclusive of everything you'd want --- eggs, bacon, home fries, breads, cereals, fruit, juices. The dinner menu is not huge, but it does include fish, chicken, and beef. There is a charge for parking. The hotel's prices are affordable. There's an outside pool and jacuzzi. The Club Level includes a lounge but on the three occasions I visited it, I only found apples to eat. The Club Level was not maintained as well as I would have expected. On both visits, I found paper and wrappers on the floor in the hallway and these were still there when I departed.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms on the higher floors have a great view of the port, city, and airport.
3 Thank Coral G
VA
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Got the room via Priceline, good thing about this hotel -location-it's close to the airport and beaches.However, the deluxe room was very poor maintained, maybe because it's old. The water in the sink and bathtub took forever to go down, it's gross. And the staff were not friendly/professional. I was expecting a three star hotel/with service, but this one only got one with my review. I would not recommend this to anyone, we couldn't wait to leave. BTW, the internet is very slow ($9.95 for 24 hours) and parking is $16/day.

4 Thank Tw0fish1
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We booked on Hotwire because the price was great, but it doesn't reflect the cost of staying here. The hotel is certainly not what I'd expect from a "4-Star" hotel. The entire place smells a little funny, and I am having to write this review from the lobby because - get this - it's $10.00 for internet in the room! This is not to mention the $15.00 DAILY parking fee you'll have to pay if you happen to have a car. The price you'll see for this hotel is nowhere near what you'll actually pay. Unless you're looking to spend a lot of money, I'd advise you to look elsewhere.

4 Thank Jon S
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Pardon the length of this review, but this is after an 11-day stay where I rarely left the hotel due to not having a car. I figured every aspect of my stay deserved to be highlighted. Husband was there for business, I went there for relaxation.

*** The key thing to note is that this is an *extremely* busy hotel for business travelers and cruisers as they offered airport and cruise shuttle services. Every aspect of our stay reflected in this fact.

If you want some place to "get away from it all" and relax, stop reading this and search for another hotel. If you want to do sightseeing and don't have a vehicle do not stay here. Nothing is in walking distance and they only offered free shuttles all day to airport and after 5 pm to a shopping center.***

Shuttle service - We had at least four different drivers during our stay, and all of them were friendly and took the time to get to know us a bit during our extended stay. Our very first driver was our pick-up from the airport, Nathan. He was by far the friendliest and most helpful during our stay. I think he is there to develop that reputation and was always great as far as customer service.

Their service times varied widely. They will make you think they are on a regular schedule, but the time they gave for pickups and drop offs would be as brief as 5 minutes or as long as 30 because they squeezed in trips based on driver availability and demand.

Airport pickups could be delayed for longer because of trains and traffic, so please keep this in mind. You will not get consistently timely shuttle service. The only other option was flat rate taxis, which cost approximately $25 one way. Not really worth it, although the services they use were friendly folks too.

Check-out - Our bill was unavailable by the time we checked out at 3:30 am the day of checkout. We could not even look at it to make sure our charges were correct. They said the bill would be available a half hour to an hour via e-mail. We waited several hours and had to call to get it e-mailed to us.

Front desk/guest services - The folks there were always willing to help, but their knowledge of the area and the goings-on of the hotel is limited.

Example #1: We asked if there was a hair salon or barber at the Oakwood Plaza area where they drop folks off. They said no and gave us several options using taxi service. Turns out there were 3, two of which were literally next door to their most popular pick-up spots. It was really sad they had no idea, so I dropped off business cards of the two Hair Cuttery places we found at the front desk.

Example #2: Housekeeping was informed by guest services that we were scheduled to check out a day earlier than we were supposed to. So even though I had the sign on my door, someone from housekeeping came in anyway.

Example #2: On busy days, do not expect daily housekeeping before 4 pm, especially if you leave your room after 11 am. It took two hours, two phone calls, and a visit to the front desk to get towels sent to our room since there were no towels to borrow at the front desk. I had to take them from the pool.

Lobby - Well appointed, open and airy and appears to be the most recently remodeled area of the hotel. It would be a great place to hang out all day, but it got absolutely unbearably cold and extremely noisy during busy points of the day.

Wi-Fi - free in the lobby, 9.95/day in rooms and tended to be slow. Also note you have to re-login very 24 hours of use. The computers in the business area were lovely, but watch out for snipers. I stepped away get more paper (was still in eyeshot) and someone had logged me out. I was foolish enough to leave behind my phone and tons of information open, but that didn't stop them. Happened several times. Also, since it's an open area, it's tough to focus and get things done. Not your typical enclosed semi-private area.

Housekeeping: Our service was fine at first, but became increasingly poor on busy days. There was a severe lack of communication between the front desk and housekeeping management as noted above. When I returned with the pool towels, the door was ajar with the safety lock to keep it open and the housekeeper had just dropped off towels. I didn't realize she was immediately coming back. I must have let the door shut in her face by accident (I had towels in my hands) so that's when the apologetic attitude ended and the bad attitude started.

My poor husband was busy drying off after being wet for two hours waiting for towels to arrive. He had gotten out of the pool and had dried off but still was pretty wet. As I came with extra towels, he was in the bathroom and the maid told him "I was right behind her" as if to say "Why did she slam the door in my face?" So she took it upon herself to assume that was it and picked up the Do Not Disturb sign from the floor and put it on our door.

The problem was that no one had told housekeeping that I wanted service AND towels. I thought they did, so I called guest services yet again to let them know what happened. By this point, I was angry and frankly, glad the door slammed in her face, because now she decided we didn't need service. She was someone who had brought us towels a few days before and was quick to get me to put "Quiet Please" on our door.

A few minutes later, she was back with management. She attempted to save face by apologizing and telling me that my husband said we only wanted towels and wanted the "Do Not Disturb" sign. Neither of these statements were true, but I was so fed up, I simply repeated that we had requested service and towels two hours before and nothing happened.

So she and another maid quickly and poorly serviced our room (the toilet was still dirty and they sighed the whole time) and left. I HATED having to complain, but the fact of the matter is that if it only took them 10 minutes to do that (we were in the room at the time) to say they were busy and couldn't get to my room by 4 pm is just plain crappy.
Conflicting modification on December 21, 2012, 2:54:15 AM:
Copies of this review were sent via email to Marriott customer service and to the hotel manager on duty (name) upon check-out.

*** The key thing to note is that this is an *extremely* busy hotel for vacation and business travelers and cruisers as they offered airport and cruise shuttle services. Every aspect of our stay reflected in this fact.

If you want some place to "get away from it all" and relax, stop reading this and search for another hotel. If you want to do sightseeing and don't have a vehicle do not stay here. The only thing in walking distance is the tri-rail, and you do have to cross a few dangerous highwa yintersections to get to it. They only offered free shuttles all day to airport and after 5 pm to a shopping center.***

Unfortunately, the Sheraton shuttle drivers tended to drive recklessly and too fast (FL is notorious for this). Because they were driving vans or small hotel buses, folks rarely yielded to them and they almost always reacted by driving recklessly, especially if they were in a hurry. Their service times varied widely. They will make you think they are on a regular schedule, but the time they gave for pickups and drop offs would be as brief as 5 minutes or as long as 30 because they squeezed in trips based mostly on driver availability and demand.

Airport pickups could be delayed for longer because of trains and traffic, so please keep this in mind. You will not get consistently timely shuttle service. The only other option was flat rate taxis, which cost approximately $25 one way. Not really worth it, although the services they use were mostly friendly folks too. Be careful, however, these drivers thrive on tips, so if you are long-term guest they may not be quite as friendly to you as to those that are new to the hotel. There was an incident where guests who had been there for over a week were asked to stand up to let new airport pickups have seats. It was done in a slightly callous manner the likes of which I had never heard of before. Also had one driver complain that he had been on his break when we called and was not happy about it. Very, very inappropriate behavior by some of the drivers.

Check-in - Extraordinarily speedy, and the front desk staff at the time was very friendly. When you call "guest services" from the room phone, it's unclear if you are getting front desk or the concierge "guest services" desk (where you arrange shuttle service). Both desks often seem kind of confused about what to do or where to go, mainly because they are usually in a hurry to serve someone else.

Restaurant - we had the opportunity to try several different items at both the bar, the gift shop and the main restaurant. The breakfast buffet is pretty standard fare for $15 a person, and includes coffee and juice. They either offer french toast or pancakes, bacon, turkey sausage, regular sausage links/patties (varies from day to day), scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes and oatmeal on the hot bar.
The cold bar is definitely a smidge lacking, although they do offer fruit, two cereal choices and some pastries. None of the pastries ever looked particularly appetizing, so I didn't try most of it. And, as expected, the service and the food quality declines if you get there after 10 a.m. since breakfast ends at 11 a.m. The service tends to vary depending of if you are paying for your meal or your meal is comped for business. At lunch, the buffet is also just okay, but I only had it once. They have a few salad/fruit options if you are a vegetarian. They also serve a few Starbucks coffee options for breakfast at the bar, but don't expect quite the same quality or service. They also offer a few pastries at the bar as well. Far, far too expensive to do more than once.

We had our best service at the bar/lounge area for dinner. The servers and bar staff seem much happier to see you there and serve you. I guess because you are ordering individual items and not getting the buffet, perhaps? The quality of food varied. One night, my husband ordered a cheeseburger that wasn't properly cooked, and the french fries weren't well cooked either. The salad with mandarin oranges and candied pecans was absolutely incredible and I definitely recommend it. The chicken fingers are also an okay option, but they come with fries, which weren't cooked well consistently. They offer several flavors of hot Tazo tea all day, and two I had (chamomile and green) were absolutely delicious.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room with a view of the pool! The building behind it changes colors at night!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lakewood, Colorado
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We drove here while family took a shuttle after flying to FLL the night before our cruise. There is a gift shop in the lobby which was very convenient. There is also a bar area and a restaurant in the open lobby/reception area. Food a little pricy but very good. Internet is free only in the lobby, and you pay to park. Staff very helpful, and rooms clean.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dania Beach
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport/Cruise
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#12 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Cambria Hotel & Suites Fort Lauderdale, Airport South & Cruise Port
HYATT house Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port

Been to Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port? Share your experiences!