“Disappointing service”

Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Dania Beach
New York
“Disappointing service”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

The initial encounter was ok with front desk staff. I told the first hostess that I needed the shuttle at 0345 to make my flight at 0500. She said she'd put me on the list. After going out to dinner, I confirmed with the second hostess that I was on the 0345 shuttle to the airport. The next morning I came down stairs for the shuttle fifteen minutes early and the host (Will, I believe) stated that he thought he had everyone on board the shuttle and it had already left. He called the shuttle but it would be back after it dropped off the other passengers. While waiting for him to check me out he made me wait to help out a customer who was there after he was already helping me. He then returned to ask me if I wanted a receipt for my stay. I informed him that I did indeed want a receipt. About five minutes later the shuttle arrived, and I needed to get on it in order to not miss my flight. Will then proceeded to tell me he could not print a receipt due to an audit that had to print first. I got on the shuttle without a receipt. After we took off on the shuttle, Will used the Walkie talkie to call the driver to tell him not to leave because more customers needed to be on the shuttle. If we would have turned around I would have missed my flight. Thankfully the driver took me to the airport first! I was never greeted as a rewards member. I used my rewards to pay for my room, and I still have pending charges on both my debit and credit card accounts from this stay. By far the worst experience I have ever bad at an IHG brand, and a definite waste of my reward points. Extremely disappointed in the service!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Katrina D
TAManagement, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you very much for visiting with us and sharing this feedback. We sincerely apologize that our hotel failed to meet your expectations. We apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered as a guest of our hotel and truly hope that you will provide us with another opportunity in the future to restore your faith and confidence in our hotel. Thank you again for your comments and we wish you safe travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Craig, Colorado
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The Holiday Inn, Airport South at Fort Lauderdale is a new hotel that opened in the fall of 2013. The facility is great with a large selection in the breakfast bar, roof top swimming pool, refrigerator and microwave in the room. The rooms are large and very comfortable. The hotel provides a free "on demand" shuttle service to the airport. The staff is very knowledgeable, friendly and very helpful. There is an airport terminal style arrival and departure monitor in the lobby so you can check the status of your flight without calling the airlines.
There are several good restaurants within walking distance.
A great hotel with an excellent helpful and friendly staff.

Room Tip: The rooms on the airport side of the hotel have the best view. All rooms are very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
TAManagement, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thanks so much for the great review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay. We will share all your comments and suggestions with our entire staff. Please come back to visit when visiting Ft Lauderdale, or going on a cruise. We wish you the best.
Reviewed January 7, 2014

It is a new property in the middle of a terrible neighborhood. People are out on the street asking for money. Bums approached our car, while at the corner and waiting for a traffic light.

We went to Florida to relax, get out of the cold Wisconsin weather and had hoped to take walks every day outside our hotel. This did not happen. The tiny 3rd floor pool was shaded by the hotel and not very appealing to go into. Everyone from 3rd to 6th floor could look directly on you while relaxing because the pool was at the base of the hotel windows!

As far as the breakfast, the waffle maker did not work any of the three days that we were at the hotel. The apples and oranges were soft every day. They served the cinnamon rolls one out of three days of our stay. They do not serve them every day!

Finally our door key did not work two out of three days unless we had it reactivated. This was frustrating because they blamed me.

I didn't feel the bathroom floor was clean. Our final day, housekeeping came 2x before the checkout time of 11:00am. They wanted us out before check-out? I don't know but I think we have a right to stay without being bothered until the check-out time.

I do not recommend this hotel and I will not ever return. I am a platnium member and have stayed at many IHG properties. This one deserves one or two stars.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Violet52
Thank you for taking the time and giving us your feedback. We apologize our property and services did not meet your expectations during your stay. Please know that we take all of your comments and inconveniences seriously and we have been working hard to improve these mishaps with our staff to ensure that this doesn’t occur again. Warm regards.
lake Tahoe
Reviewed January 6, 2014

It is a good value for an overnight stay before or after a cruise. The room was clean and the bed comfortable, although the bed pillows were strange being about a 15x15 square. The only negative is that the shuttle bus service stops at midnight. We arrived at the airport to find a long line for cabs. We had to wait about 45 mins before getting a cab. The Hampton Inn shuttle bus passed us many times as we waited and we did think that we should have made a reservation with them instead. The shuttle to the port at 1 p.m. Was very convenient.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
TAManagement, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for writing about your experience at our hotel. Your feedback is very important to the continued successful delivery of exceptional guest service. We are sorry to hear about your issue with the airport shuttle. We thank you for your patronage and look forward to your future return. Warm regards.
The Villages, Florida
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I chose this hotel because of it's convenient location to the Ft. L airport and the cruise terminal. We arrived around 11pm on 12/21 and after a brief wait, we were picked up by the free shuttle the hotel provides. The driver was a young, black guy with the warmest smile and welcoming attitude. I believe his name was Alex. He was very efficient and helpful even when dealing with an older black lady who announced to us all, "I have a New York Attitude", when she got into the van. Not sure what her problem was but everyone else just ignored her and she finally settled down. When we arrived at the hotel, we were quickly checked in to a clean, comfortable, quiet room. The next morning breakfast was provided. There area was kept clean and well stocked. Private transportation is provided to the cruise terminal for $12.00 per person. This went very well, too. I just signed up for this service at the front desk when I checked in. We also made arrangements to be picked up upon our return at a cost of $10.00 each. Once we did get back, we saw several shuttles and were back at the airport in about 20 minutes.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
TAManagement, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for writing about your experience at our hotel. Your feedback is very important to the continued successful delivery of exceptional guest service. We thank you for your patronage and look forward to your future return. Warm regards.
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Arrived @ hotel at 3am for cruise leaving same day... went to use bathroom when waking up & there was dry urine all over the toilet seat!!! I was very grossed out & upset after paying $150 for literally less than 8 hours:( Went to front desk & they immediately call house keeping to come up & clean the bathroom.. Apologized several times... When the cleaning lady came to the room she acted as if she didn't understand English & said she was NOT cleaning the bathroom until after we checked out!!!! I explained that it was never cleaned & needed to be cleaned immediately.. She refused & I said "Ok, I'll just call the front desk".. She suddenly spoke English & said she would clean it with an attitude... Very unprofessional & unsatisfying experience to say the least... The sheets even had hair & some stains on the them... Never Again!!!! Breakfast was not bad but good luck finding a seat:( Overall, I would not recommend.. Plenty of other hotels near the port that are same price or cheaper where service I'm sure is better quality... But that's just my opinion:( Last, it's about 15mins from port & they have a shuttle for a fee from hotel....

1 Thank TravelB215
We appreciate your feedback, and apologize for the inconveniences. We have brought your review to the attention of our housekeeping team and we are currently working on these issues. . Sorry that we fell below your expectations. We do strive to be the best in the area. Warm regards.
ontario
Reviewed December 27, 2013

This hotel is perfect to stay near the airport. We ended up having a flight delay and arriving at the hotel at 2a.m. The beds are very comfortable. My son thought the humming from the air conditioner was a little to loud but I didn't hear anything. The pool is tiny but I guess it would do the trick. We only stayed one night and moved closer to the beach the other nights. I happen to be familiar with the area..If you stay there make sure you go down the street and get Jaxson's ice cream...not cheap but great ice cream and worth the experience! Also there is Dania Jai alai right down the street too (different direction that Jaxsons)..The breakfast is included and is your typical holiday inn express food which is great. I definitely think this is a great place to stay close to the airport.

1 Thank jam05Ontario
TAManagement, Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. We will make sure to share your comments with our staff at our weekly staff meeting. We wish you the best. Happy New Year!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dania Beach
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport/Cruise
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#12 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,098 reviews
Cambria Hotel & Suites Fort Lauderdale, Airport South & Cruise Port
Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port
Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airp...
#9 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,760 reviews
Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
HYATT house Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South? Share your experiences!