“Hotel Needs Improvement”

Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Dania Beach
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I and my wife decided to stay at Homewood Suites for a few days before we took a cruise away for vacation. First, the shuttle service is terrible we had to wait for over an hour to be picked up when we were told by a woman that answered the phone he will be there in twenty minutes. When we arrived to the hotel a tall woman by the name of Angela which was the one that answered the phone because her English is very bad had an attitude with us as my wife was trying to explain that we had to wait an hour and she was the one that told us twenty minutes. She acted like she didn’t even care and was very aggressive with us but her English is so bad we could barely understand what she was saying. Housekeeping doesn't replenish items if you are staying over because we had to call everyday for things that should have been placed in our room when it was serviced. The dinner at night I must say is great, but the breakfast in the morning was always terrible. There must be different cooks working because it was for sure like night and day. The staff seems over worked for the most part when I approached the desk an older male by the name of Yosa was basically pushing me away when I asked for a manager he told me she would be in later, I came back one hour later and the same male told me she will be in tomorrow, remind you he told me an hour ago she will be in later now its tomorrow. He was very aggressive and asks me what you want something; I said no I would like to share a pleasant moment with her. The next day I came to the desk again and there was an Asian lady there and she had the most unfriendly attitude on her face so I just didn't even say anything and I assume that was the manager because she wasn't in uniform. She didn't even say good morning or hello and the gentleman next to her said good morning and were pleasant with his smile. I came to the desk again twenty minutes later and the same gentleman with the pleasant smile by the name of Quincy was humble and alerted housekeeping immediately to my room. Obviously with his professional deameanor and quick response he should not be working in a low budget place like this. Upon departure the next day the same gentleman Quincy checked my wife out which the reservation was in her name and his personality from what my wife said gave us hope that the cruise we were going on would be great. My wife plans on contacting Hilton to inform them about this horrible stay. Please be aware of Homewood Suites!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Nick H
marife l, Guest Relations Manager at Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

We are sorry we were not able to provide you with a better quality of service. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a great stay. If you would like to discuss your experience with us further, please feel free to contact us. Again, I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,138)

Reviewed December 21, 2012

I chose this location due to the proximity to the airport and the cruise terminal. I'm a Hilton member so I always gravitate to their properties. It's one is a great choice. We had two rooms. The rooms were very comfortable and quiet. Good AC and ceiling fan above the bed. Very clean bath and bed linens. Front desk staff were SO helpful, at check in and in getting shuttles for us. We were picked up promptly at the airport and used the shuttle to get to dinner and to the cruise port. We also used the service to get from the cruise terminal back to the airport. Saved us a ton on taxis. The general cleanliness of the room was very good with the exception of the grout in the shower. It looked fine on the outside, but once inside, the mold was pretty gross, and it was beyond what a good cleaning would resolve. I'm sure the Florida humidity doesn't help, but this really is a general maintenance issue. Other than that, the room was very well kept. Breakfast was good and prepped us for our day ahead. I'd definitely recommend it for a pre or post cruise stay.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mercurysqueen
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Recently stayed at this hotel before a cruise....Everything from checkin, to great suite-type rooms, fabulous bedding, 2 tv's, good breakfast, ability to leave car parked there for a week free, no hassle shuttle to ship - $8pp. (I think shuttle to and from AIRPORT is free.

We took taxi back to hotel to get our car after cruise though since we wanted to get on road promptly $21.00 plus tip. The shuttle back would have been $10 pp!)

This will definitely be our place to go before any Ft. Lauderdale trip!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Very nice rooms, very clean, excellent (I mean EXCELLENT) hot breakfast, friendly staff, ample parking, well light, and easy to use biz center. Only thing bad about this hotel is the convoluted entry/exit onto the main drag; but that is really not the fault of Hilton, rather the idiots at Florida DOT.

Room Tip: west side is away from TRI-RAIL train
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Like many reviewers we stayed there the night before a cruise. The hotel itself was fine. The shuttle is a third party. If you don't mind super shuttle then you won't mind the shuttle. I think it's worth the cost to just hire a shuttle. The airport shuttle has lots of stops, luggage in a trailer, lost of people. We were there in July so it was hot. We used a private shuttle for the trip to the cruise ship - so much better - well worth the additional few dollars per person.

The only problem I had with the hotel itself was the air conditioning. If your room is on the west side of the building ask to move. In our first suite the a/c didn't work in one room - so we moved. There wasn't another 2 bedroom suite so we moved to 2 rooms. The a/c was broken in one of the room. So we moved again. The maintenance guy said this is a regular issue every summer. The a/c units are too small. The hotel isn't planning to replace them. Apparently people who just stay one night complain but the hotel stays full.

Lesson - it's not an issue if you stay when the weather is cool. If it's hot outside make sure you aren't on the west side of the building,.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank sbccc
Reviewed December 15, 2012

everything was pack didn't found hotels near the airport.
i got to this hotel browsing the internet.
is almost new, in a good location, pretty convenient to the airpot.
the rooms are clean and comfy.
my only complain is that the girl at the front desk took my credit card to the back office, i thought that it was because the system was off and she needed to make a manual voucher, but no...then she came out and charge my cc in front of me, when i ask her why she did that, she answered it was because she was checking my I.D. but she never ask me for an I.D!
so far nothing wrong has happened, but the situation made me paranoid.
i didnt try the free breakfast but it look fine

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We have chosen to stay here several times to and from Club Med. Easy access to the airport and nice rooms. The suite is very comfy and clean. Love the beds and linens. The room resembles a compact apt, and nice to have fridge, micro etc. Breakfast is provided downstairs, and taxis available to go out to dinner.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dania Beach
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South
Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North Cruise Port
Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airp...
#10 of 131 in Fort Lauderdale
2 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport/Cruise
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#13 of 131 in Fort Lauderdale
Hilton Garden Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport-Cruise Port
1 mi away
Cambria Hotel & Suites Fort Lauderdale, Airport South & Cruise Port
1 mi away
HYATT house Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port

Been to Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port? Share your experiences!