“Not a good experience for the brand name!”

Homewood Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Dania Beach
Buffalo, New York
“Not a good experience for the brand name!”
Reviewed January 17, 2012

My wife and I also thought this was a great choice for a hotel before our cruise. We stayed jan 6-8, 2012 for 2 nights. We were not happy with the way the customer service agents treated their guests. They were totally understaffed at the front desk and the agents could not speak good english. I was not happy with the prices of the products this hotel sells as I was forced to buy something when all I wanted was to break a dollar bill. I was not happy with the cleaning staff constantly holding up the elevator and having to wait for it and they also crowed the hallways with either their luggage carts in a diagonal position or with the cleaning carts in the same position. The excursion desk rep. also was not helpful. She spent alot of her time texting and would not explain anything. I also very much was not happy with the complimentary shuttle service this hotel offered. The waits to go somewhere were rediculiously long and my party was forgotten about at one time. If you call from the FLL airport it is a guessing game trying to find the shuttle to pick you up. It is also not big enough for this touristy area. I got so aggravated I was forced to rent a car for the remaining time of my stay. Overall I stayed here because of the brand it represents but I guess I was wrong. My party and I were very disappointed in our stay here at this hotel. The room and the breakfast food were good but theres more to a hotel stay than just that.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Cruiseforpassion

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Winnipeg
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Stayed Dec. 19th for a few days. This two year old facility has everything necessary to make your stay comfortable.

ROOM: large with kitchenette, full size fridge, large microwave, dishwasher, dishes, cutlery, pots, etc There's a dining table and chairs, a large desk, many lamps and ceiling lighting, sofa and ample storage space.

An outdoor swimming pool, computer room and free self-parking is available for guests. Although there is no restaurant on the premises, you can arrange for a complimentary shuttle to transport you to nearby restaaurants.

Every Monday thru Thursday there is a complimentary hot and cold buffet breakfast as well as a light buffet dinner --- simple but tasty. Area is kept very clean and food replenished.

There's a complimentary shuttle to and from the Fort Lauderdale Airport. If you wish to go to the Cruise Port, it's an $8.00 per person charge.

We found the staff very welcoming, friendly and efficient.

If you want to stay close to the Cruise Port and reasonably close to Fort Lauderdale Airport, then this place is for you.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MKS2010
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 14, 2012

We stayed on two separate nights at the Homewood Suites, each time before our cruise the next day. On arrival at FLL airport, there was a free shuttle that came by to pick us up. On the first stay, we arrived in the evening and checked into our room around 830pm. I had early done some research and was planning to go to the Rustic Inn for dinner. On google maps, it looked like quite an easy walk there and indeed it is, although it is quite a dark road. Fortunately the hotel organises a free shuttle to the restaurant, and even has a 15% discount voucher for the restaurant.
The Rustic Inn is an excellent seafood restaurant and is only 5 min drive from the hotel. After dinner, we called the hotel and within 10 mins another shuttle arrived to pick us up again - each time no charge, although I tipped the driver as he was very friendly.
The room has a kitchen and a lounge area with a fold out bed for our daughter. In the morning, they have a pretty good breakfast - free of charge.

All in all, I think this hotel is excellent value for money and is very close to the airport and cruiseport. Btw, taxi fare to the cruise port is about $20.

Tip:For anyone looking to rent a car from the cruiseport after your cruise, we are with Hertz and they do have a free shuttle from the cruiseport. However, the actual setup for the car rentals from the cruise port is an absolute debacle. You are far better off paying for a short taxi fare to the airport and using the far better car rental setup there. We took the free shuttle from Hertz, who take you to the Crowne Plaza instead of the airport!! Why - who knows, but one only assumes it has to be due to some business arrangement. On arrival at the Crowne Plaza (mind you we had to wait for 4 shuttles and over 1/2 an hour to get there), we found a queue of 30 people being serviced by one attendant!! I immediately took a taxi to the airport and within 10 mins was on my way. For the "world's largest" cruise terminal, they have a lot to be desired when you are outside and trying to get to a car rental. The most ridiculous part is that the cruise port is right next to the airport - so why can't they organise shuttles to the airport? Clearly they want you to pay for taxis from the cruise port.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Victor K
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I booked this hotel because it looked nice and provided a Welcome Home Dinner, breakfast and a free shuttle to the airport. Due to unforseen circumstances we missed the dinner, but the breakfast was most enjoyable. We did get the shuttle from the airport, but only after 3 phone calls, as we were not told exactly where to wait and nearly missed it. But it did come after about 30 minutes, picking up loads of people, but was worth the wait. The rooms were lovely, just what we needed for a family of four. We only stayed one night before flying out. The pool was lovely, had a swim in the morning, there was also mini golf. As we missed the evening meal we still needed food and after the hassles of our day did not feel like going out, the hotel had a little shop where we could buy something for dinner, which was just what we needed. Expensive but still it was there. Would recommend.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Shamrock784
Canada
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We stayed at Homewood Suites at the recommendation of our cruise consultant – just prior to a cruise to the Caribbean.

The shuttle for the property did not, like other hotels, have ongoing service. After a phone call to the hotel for a shuttle, it took about 25 minutes for the bus to arrive.

At check-in, the staff were generally unfriendly and dismissive, clearly disinterested in welcoming us or in seeing how they could be of service. For example, we had a child who would need to use a pullout bed from the couch, and when we asked if they could make up this bed, they informed us that it was not their responsibility – this, despite the fact the reservation clearly indicated three people. Having already transited through two other hotels prior to arriving, each of those other hotels were more than happy to assist in this regard. Likewise, when we asked for a blanket, we were told the hotel was full and all blankets had been dispersed.

When we finally convinced the desk to send someone to help us find sheets and pillows so we could make up the bed ourselves, we asked this person for a sewing kit. He said the hotel did not provide sewing kits. Then, when I returned an hour later to the front desk to ask for a shower cap, I happened to notice in the drawer where they were kept that there were sewing kits.

Overall, the room was nice and spacious and the complimentary breakfast was solid. However, the laid-back attitude of the staff left a sour taste in my mouth and I won't stay there prior to my next cruise.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank worldlyCanada
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 6, 2012

This was my second stay at this Homewood and we were very happy with the hotel once again. I stayed with my wife and 2 young children. The layout of the room was fantastic for a family. We were able to have the kids stay in the living room and we stayed in the bedroom area. The hotel is just a year or two old. As such everything was really clean and the decor was modern and pleasant. I was able to watch TV or read without waking the kids. The evening dinner service was great. I was able to feed a family of four and have a few drinks for a cool $0!! Normally a dinner for 4 would have cost me $50+ without counting drinks. Breakfast was also great and also a big money saver. My wife is a light sleeper, the place was very quiet and she slept well. All in all this was a pleasant experience. I highly reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Having stayed many times at various Homewood Sutes throughout USA chose to pre and post cruise stay here.All previous stays at Homewoods have been superb value.Should have realised my mistake when fax sent in October went unanswered.Property is owned and operated by Economos Properties and therein lies the clue.Every item is costed,a suite for 4 people and boasting to be a home from home with full kitchen has 4 spoons,4 knives and 4 forks as the total cutlery inventory,presume you are expected to do the dishes beteween courses!!!Left on 17 December for 14 night cruise and arranged for early check-in to same suite with manager for 31 December as ship was to dock at 07.00 and we wished to ensure we had suite available upon return.We arrived back after collecting rental car at 11.56 on 31 December.Was told room was not free as occupant had requested late check-out for 12.30 was offered other room with different layout but declined as not what we wanted,were told our original room would be ready a few minutes after 12.30.Elected to wait.Enquired at 12.50 and was told a few more minutes were needed.Enquire again at 14.20!!!! 10 more minutes needed!!!!! Asked again at 14.50 and was informed that previous occupant had only left at 13.00 a fact omitted when asked at 14.20!!!I I was then rudely asked if I knew how long it took to clean 124 rooms by the cold,inconsiderate and clearly incompetent manager,my reply to her was that it should not take almost 2 hours to clean 1 room and that it might be worth engaging extra staff when needing 124 rooms cleaned.It seems that the manageress has decreed that rooms be cleaned in numerical order irrespective of the guests waiting ih the lobby and by now there were a number of us.Eventually accessed my room at 15.05 only to find that room offered at 12.00 was just beginning to be cleaned!!!! So if your room is high number on top floor you could have a long wait.Corridor carpets are in need of cleaning in various parts of the building and towel supply dried up (no pun intended) so that we had 1 hand towel only and pool towels in bathroom,there were no jotters nor pens in the suite and one gets the deep impression that everything is done on the cheap.You have to feel for the staff who have to cope with very few assets.Sadly this was the first time in my life that I left no tip but I felt that the crassness and ignorance of the manageress left me no option.I hope that the staff read this and look for employment elsewhere,they really do deserve better.So there are plenty of hotels available at similar prices,but beware Fairfield next door appears to be operated by same company,also bear in mind that when wind is from north west all flights leaving Ft.Lauderdale Airport take off over the hotel and there is no sound insulation.Book hotel a little further from airport if you require sleep,they start taking off in earnest at 06.00 and continue until midnight.

Room Tip: Book another hotel