“Choose another Ft. Lauderdale area hotel”

Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport South Inn & Suites
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Dania Beach
Wake Forest, North Carolina
“Choose another Ft. Lauderdale area hotel”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

There are tons of hotel choices in the Ft. Lauderdale area, surely most of them are far better than this poorly rated hotel. Check-in staff was smug and not friendly at all. The breakfast buffet was decent, probably the only positive about the hotel stay. The room had a musty, dirty odor that was worse when the air conditioning was on. Worst of all, the hotel staff clearly has is making kick-backs by steering their guests to take one of their "preferred" shuttle services to/from the ports for cruises. We booked a Disney cruise that embarks from Port of Miami. When I checked in, I was looking for advice to get taxi-ed vs. shuttled to the Port of Miami the next morning. The check-in attendant warned me that a cab ride would easily be $100-$120 to Port of Miami. I pushed back on him about this and was assured from the taxi company the rate would not be more than $65 and probably less than that. He insisted I was wrong about this, and kept trying to convince me to take an $85 shuttle service (the shuttle driver happened to be standing in the lobby right as I was being persuaded to use his services). I refused and took the cab instead. I explained this saga to the cab driver, and he was furious. He said hotels like that are killing his business, because they have under the table arrangements to steer their guests to use the far more expensive shuttle vans and obviously receive kickbacks for it. The rate was only $60 from the hotel to Port of Miami BTW. Stay away from this corrupt hotel if you are cruising and just using this hotel to bunk for a night!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank UNCNate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Rising Sun
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This place was close enough to the airport, and had plenty of the amenities that budget minded people go for like free parking, free Internet, free breakfast. The room was comfortable, but the odor was pretty bad. I went out and bought some air fresher so I could stand it. Check in and out was quick. The breakfast area was mobbed, maybe extending the time would help that. The view from our room was a junk yard or landscape something or other. Not to pretty to look at. The front side of this hotel faces the highway.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

2 Thank PollyParrott33
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 2, 2013

My boyfriend asked me to not write a review, but I feel it is my responsibility to shine light--apparently i'm not the only one.

Stayed at this hotel for a pre cruise booking and that will be the end of my stay at this best western in general. I intended to stay at a hotel (right across the street) but decided to book here and save a few dollars. The entire front desk staff has quite the attitude when you make them repeat what they are saying. I am sorry-- but the reason I keep asking you to repeat yourself is because I do not understand what you are saying (english is not their first language). Front desk is the first impression of the hotel, with that said I should have high tailed it out.

We wanted to go out to dinner as we were hungry. So we asked a housekeeper who looked at me as if I was sent here from another planet. She did not speak english. EIther did the other 2 housekeepers I spoke to. From what I understand, Florida is still part of the United States.. did it change?

The carpets as EVERYONE on this forum stated.. were bleached and stained (NOT dirty). Breakfast was good. Rooms were clean. I will say the hotel check in was packed. My question is why only 1 or 2 computers going at a time? I have traveled to other hotels and seen 4 or 5 employees at check in.

Is this the worst hotel I ever stayed at? NO. Is it worth the 100+ I spent for a night.. NO. What I dont quite get is I stayed at Best Western and had a better experience than the Best Western plus (plus is an upgrade). It was VERY aggravating trying to find someone who spoke english well. With that said-- thank you best western but no thanks.

1 Thank constamalanga
Charlton, MA
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I thought the hotel was in a good location and the room was well appointed, clean and comfortable. Now comes the not so good part, the reservation was double booked and we needed one of the bookings deleted. It was clear that it was double booked and the record of the second booking only happened that day by mistake via an internet discount site. I arrived at the hotel and the desk clerk, Carolyn, was informed of this. Her response after looking it up was that I would be charged for both since that is the hotel policy. Not "I can check with our front desk manager or our GM to see if I can do anything to correct this". I then called hotels.com which called to intercede on my behalf. The same clerk answered the phone and told them the same thing. Hotels.com said that they would contact management and see what they could do and that they thought that based on the circumstances that they could get the hotel to credit me the second charge for the same room. Later I got what I could assume was a customary courtesy call from the front desk manager asking if my room was in order a few moments later. (which was a nice touch). I told her of my problem and she said that she had heard of the issue and was going to ask if the GM was willing to give me the charge back. I found out the following morning that they did in fact credit me. I appreciate the efforts of the front desk manager to properly handle a customers request and hope that in the future, desk clerks are instructed to try to solve a problem or at least TRY to solve a problem instead of giving a surly or curt response as a first option.
As you will see if you review my many other ratings. This sour feeling and negative response and the lengthy period and several phone calls it took to correct this problem is the cause for my low ranking. Empowering employees to do the right thing for their customers is a powerful tool that would cause a positive reaction and produce future rewards.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank dpw1959
Montgomery, Alabama, USA
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Excellent stay; close to port for our cruise; service, room, breakfast. was excellent and I will indeed stay here again. I highly recommend this Best Western; friendly staff; clean; mattress was very good!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We spent one pre-cruise night at this Best Western Hotel and found it to be adequate for the purpose. We waited well over an hour at the airport for the free shuttle. When we called to see where it was, we were told there was an accident on the freeway and the van was held up. Meanwhile, we stood and watched every other hotel in the area pick up their guests until we were the only ones left. Arriving at the hotel, we were assigned a room that totally REEKED of cigarette smoke though we had designated we wanted non-smoking. I reported this to the desk and I must say they were understanding and immediately assigned us another room. This hotel could definitely stand some refurbishing – hall carpet was worn and bleach stained apparently from a leaking bottle on a cleaning cart. However, our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. When we arrived, it was late and we were hungry but, of course, unfamiliar with the area. We chose the obvious restaurant which was right across the street. It would be nice if the hotel could provide a map showing what amenities are available nearby because in the light of the next day, we found there were several options within walking distance that the desk staff had neglected to mention. Breakfast was adequate, not spectacular. We used the hotel’s van service to take us to the port @ $10/person. Keep in mind you have to reserve this ahead of time. The van was prompt and was worth the cost. Would we stay here again? Possibly but wouldn’t be excited about it.

1 Thank ohsuzyq10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dania Beach
Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port
Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdal...
#38 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
Cambria Hotel & Suites Fort Lauderdale, Airport South & Cruise Port
HYATT house Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Comfort Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South & Cruise Port
Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South

Been to Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport South Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!