“Nice Hotel. Skip the Shuttle, take a Taxi”

Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport South Inn & Suites
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Dania Beach
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night in December 2011. I had chosen this hotel for it's price and proximity to the airport, and that it had a free shuttle service to/from FLL. I called the hotel from the airport and they indicated the shuttle would be around in 15-20 mins. The shuttle arrived promptly, but it was about an hour getting back to the hotel (Mid-afternoon on Friday). With hundreds of cruise passengers arriving and being picked up by various hotel shuttles from the same location, one word comes to mind: Chaos.
The hotel shuttles will normally stop at each terminal to pick up passengers, so if you get on at Terminal 1, then you'll probably be waiting the longest. Our driver stopped at each terminal and appeared to ask each passenger if they wanted the Best Western. (The bus is clearly marked...) When he didn't have all the passengers he was expecting, he felt it necessary to go around the airport again until he had enough people on board, rather than making a second trip. With the bus overcrowded and luggage piled throughout after 2 trips around the airport, we made the 5 minute ride to the hotel. (total time on shuttle: 60 minutes)
Next time, I'll be taking a taxi, or considering a different hotel.
Check in at the hotel was surprisingly fast, considering there were about a dozen people in line, all dropped off by the shuttle. The driver could certainly learn about efficiency from the front desk staff. The room was considered a king suite, but was more like a large room with king bed and sofabed. There was no partition that separated the bedroom from a 'living' room, but there was still lots of space, and it had a microwave, mini-fridge and small sink/counter area. The decor was nice and the bed comfortable. The bathroom was clean and well-lit. Overall, an excellent room. There's an outdoor pool, about 15m or 45ft long, but no hot tub. It was cool in temperature, as I would guess it was not heated, but then again-it was December. There are several fast food restaurants within walking distance, and some sit-down ones as well, including the Moonlite Diner just beyond K-mart in the strip mall on the other side of the freeway. (Yes, I ate there-good food, fast service.)
The complimentary self-serve breakfast in the morning was good, with all the standard continental items (toast, cereal, yogurt, fruit, etc. and coffee/tea/juice) as well as an extensive selection of other items including pastries, waffles and other hot items like sausages and scrambled eggs (not cooked to order.) Being a Saturday morning, the breakfast area was very busy at 7am, and even more crowded around 9am when I checked out. Checkout was also fast and the front desk staff had me on my way quickly. Luckily I didn't need the hotel shuttle to take me back to the airport...
I would stay here again, but would consider the cost of a cab and time saved vs. the inconvenience of the free shuttle.

3  Thank Ken W
bwbridgeport, Property Revenue Manager at Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport South Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2012

It looks as if you did enjoy the hotel and your stay but had issues with the shuttle /taxi. We have had issue with the shuttle in the pass especially based on plane arrives and so forth but I will pass these comments along to the management team and shuttle drivers. Thanks for taking the time to fill out a review.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,405)

Reviewed January 9, 2012

I was put in a hotel by my airline after I was bumped from a flight. The free shuttle from the airport was not available, so the hotel told me to take a cab, for which they would reimburse me. They did with no problems. There are several "suite" hotels within a few blocks of this hotel. My room was very clean and nice - granite counters, fancy sink, nicely decorated. It's not quite as nice as as the nearby Hilton, though. I think the airline paid over $200 for my room, which seems ridiculous to me. I would not have paid that much for this room. They may have been taken advantage of, though. The breakfast in the morning leaves a bit to be desired, but you can't expect much for free.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 7, 2012

We stayed here for our pre-cruise stay for one night. We had to wait 45 minutes for the shuttle which is understandable because it was a busy cruise weekend. We booked a non-smoking room and when we got here he said that we had a smoking room booked and that is all he had left. We reserved a non-smoking room 3 months ago and arrived at the hotel at 6 PM at night and the assistant manager still said that they were overbooked and had nothing else available.

The hallway reeked and our room was so disgustingly bad that we got physically ill standing in it. We returned to the lobby and said it was unacceptable and they promptly gave us another smoking room even though he had just said they had nothing else available. The second room was more tolerable but it was still an obvious smoking room. We had no choice to accept this because we needed a place to stay and had already paid. The room was filthy and the hallway carpet was disgusting with burn marks and stains all over it. The elevators had so much dirt in them, it looked like it hadn't been swept or cleaned in months.

We know we booked a non-smoking room and didn't receive it. We were told nothing else was available at 6 PM at night. Then I asked about restaurants and stores around and he said there weren't any. I looked on the Google maps and there was plenty enough around.

There was a small bar in the lobby and I asked how much a beer was and the bar attendant said "I don't know, $4 something". How could you not know how they were when you are selling them? He had just completed an order to another group of the exact thing I was asking about.

I will never stay in this hotel again and never assume that what I have booked is what I'll receive. I do not know how this hotel is rated 3 stars on other sites because it was no better than a 2 star and I have stayed in cleaner and better smelling 2 star hotels.

For the price we paid, we definitely feel ripped off.

Room Tip: Definitely call and confirm smoking or non-smoking room preference.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ericaceae

First thank you for taking the time to fill out a review, I am very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay or the hotel, I will pass your concerns along to the management team, the Bar just opened a couple weeks ago but that is not a excuse for the staff not knowing prices, again thanks for the review.

Reviewed January 6, 2012

Our family of 4 spent 1 night here in transit between Nassau and Kansas City.
This hotel exceeded my expectations - I expected it to be clean and comfortable, but it was actually quite attractive and roomy.

We were upgraded to a suite and appreciated the extra space. Staff were pleasant and helpful. The shuttle bus was prompt and efficient. We enjoyed the yummy Cuban restaurant just across the road, there is also a little mini-mart sort of thing in the lobby where you can buy drinks, snacks and basic food like 2 minute noodles, sandwhiches and microwave burritos (in case you are too tired to cross the road to the Cuban restaurant). The complimentary breakfast in the lobby was very good and even included a make-your-own waffle maker. Good value.

Watch out for long distance phone charges. A 20 minute call to Kansas cost me $20. (Didn't have a cell phone as we are from Australia and our cells don't work in the USA).

Would highly recommend as a great hotel to stay in transit - and will happily stay here again.

1  Thank kd2226

It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to fill out a review.

Reviewed January 2, 2012

We stayed at this locale on Dec 23 and Jan 1st, 2011/12 pre and post cruise. For this purpose, this locale was fine as we overnighted only.

It was rated as low for affordability as the rooms at this time of the year are generally expensive.

Rooms are very basic, although fairly new construction are starting to show wear and tear. Rugs were worn in our rooms and room central air was a window mounted unit which could'nt keep up. When checking in for our 2nd night, the staff was great in getting us in early, but our room was still dirty..floors not vaccuumed, linen in pore shape and they were quick in relocating us to another one.

Location to airport and port terminals were a short distance. Hotel had a handy shuttle which picked us up at airport when we called. It also delivered us to the port. Make sure you sign up on the shuttle list at the front desk upon your arrival. Also note that the hotel shuttle will NOT pick you up at the port, so take a $30 taxi ride.

There is a mini mall approx two blocks away with TJ's and K Mart, a McD's, and across the street is a small restaraunt call Las Vegas Cuban Food which was excellent.

Taxis from this location to other than the port or airport is costly, so consider a car rental which is much cheaper...we used Gold Coast rental, which was great and recommended by staff.

I also noted the first photo on this site is not from this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Smartilicious

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review about your stay with us.. I am very sorry to hear you foung housekeeping issues within your room. I will make sure this is passed along to our management team.

Reviewed December 30, 2011

Nice hotel for the price. Free shuttle pickup at the airport was timely and they provide shuttle service to the port for $8 p/p. Certain areas of the hotel could use some new carpet and furniture but still decent enough to feel comfortable. Good breakfast too...I would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
bwbridgeport, Property Revenue Manager at Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport South Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2012

Thanks for filling out a review about your stay it is good to hear you enjoyed our property.

Reviewed December 29, 2011

We stayed here on our way to catch a cruise. THe internet was a bit slow and the swat team entered while we were in the lobby so we were a bit nervous..... However, the service was decent and the breakfast was ok for the money. When we call the hotel to have a shuttle pick us up from the airport, the customer service representative seemed to have a bit of an attitude,

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

First I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete a review about our property. We have had some issues withe the Internet Speed but it is currently being addressed and will be upgraded. I will pass your concerns along to the management staff regarding the attitude of the front desk, I am really sorry to hear that. Again thanks for staying with us and taking the time to fill out a review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dania Beach
Cambria Hotel & Suites Fort Lauderdale, Airport South & Cruise Port
3 mi away
Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port
Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdal...
#38 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
HYATT house Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port
Comfort Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South & Cruise Port
2 mi away
Sleep Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale International Airport
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South

Been to Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport South Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!