I don't know where they got them or who made them, but the hotel had placed individually-wrapped cookies at the check-in desk that were ridiculously delicious! A nice, unexpected touch after a day of travelling.
We staid overnight to catch a cruise the following day, and the hotel had an airport shuttle (free) and one that went to the cruise terminal (inexpensive). It was an easy, convenient place to stay when stopping over for that reason.
The rooms and hotel were quite clean and the rooms had a clean, somewhat strong scent. A few people here have complained about the carpets looking dirty, but I think it's because of the choice of carpet material. The fabric was intentionally rough and irregular, but the pilling makes it look a bit dirty at first sight, especially if a sunbeam is shining on it on an angle. Still, it was clean and I have no complaints about the room.
The hotel advertises free WiFi, which was actually a crucial element of me booking the room here, however once I got to the room, there was no hotel WiFi signal on either my iPad or smartphone. When I called down to the desk, the man said that sometimes the signal isn't strong enough to reach the upper floors. What?! That's an easily-fixed problem, so…fix it? I ended up spending some hours in the lobby in order to use the WiFi there (different login and password), which was somewhat slow, but free WiFi often is. It was fine for getting email and browsing the web, but don't bother trying to videochat or watch YouTube videos.
The included breakfast was average, though there was more to choose from than I expected. The staff worked like dogs during the breakfast service, replacing the always-empty milk thermoses and cleaning up after customers' messy, somewhat pushy liquidation of the food counters. Muffins were the usual bland, mass-produced variety, but there were some good cereals and the juice machine was very popular. The breakfast lounge is adjacent to the lobby, so the food aromas carry over strongly in the morning.
The staff was friendly and appropriately helpful, though not overly effusive. They staid pretty much in the background unless you engaged them, which is nice if you like that sort of thing (I do).
Though it's located near a large set of shopping plazas, getting to the plazas on foot is an exercise in frustration because of how the streets are laid out. Only certain intersections have crosswalks, and they're all inconvenient. Since there are ten lanes of traffic at these points, you can't easily and safely just hop across the street, which would get you to the mall quickly rather than having to meander and backtrack in order just to cross the road.
There are food places within walking distance, like Chipotle, Taco Bell, and McDonalds. There are snack and soda vending machines around the hotel as well. The hotel is located next to a highway and under a huge billboard, so you're not going there for its views.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay at the brand new Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Airport hotel with easy access to the Port Everglades Cruise Port and Broward Convention Center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Best Western, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, Priceline, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport South Inn & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport South Hotel Dania Beach
- Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport South Inn And Suites