“TIGER CUB ENCOUNTER”

Dade City's WIld Things
Ranked #3 of 14 things to do in Dade City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Dade City's WIld Things is a zoo and natural botanical gardens. Visit our Dade City Gift Shop, featuring a zoo animal theme, While waiting for Tram ride to experience a once in a lifetime guided tour of over 150 animal exhibits. Hours of Operation: Tues - Sat. Gift Shop & Ticket Sales: 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM Offers 'Jungle Safari ride @ 1:30 PM & 3:00 PM (gates open 30 minutes before each tour) Visit our website for more info.
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I booked a private Tiger cub encounter for a special anniversary surprise and we both totally enjoyed the experience.

2  Thank psherr1963
in 9 reviews
"unique experience"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

I took my husband here for his birthday to experience something different than the normal gifts. I must say the negative reviews were not accurate. This was certainly an experience to remember. We went on the tram tour (which is a jeep pulling seating carts). The tour guide was very informative and had lots of knowledge about the animals.

The highlight of the tour was the baby tiger cub encounter. He was playful and very interactive with us. Well worth the wait.

The only negative was the fact you can't take your own pictures. So I used my samsung gear watch, shhhh. But when I saw the professional photos they took- we still bought the photo package. Heck its his birthday.

If you go expecting to see Busch Gardens… its not. Its a quaint sanctuary and im glad we went.

2  Thank Stacy R
Reviewed June 13, 2014

I will say off the bat, the younger 18 year olds working at the front counter....not very smart/helpful. My husband and I were unsure of which of the animal feeding experiences we wanted. I explained I wanted a physical interaction with a monkey which is what they allegedly offer. Instead she swayed me into feeding a Lemur which she tried to pass off as a Monkey. I wasn't born yesterday and in case anyone else was wondering a Lemur is NOT a monkey http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemur
So we paid and after my hubby was feeling a little sticker shocked. So I asked her, "You know what, I'd rather just do the Sunken Jungle tour, don't worry about the Lemur feeding. She pointed to a sign that she was blocking pretty much the whole time that stated NO REFUNDS. I could see NO REFUNDS if they already did the experience, but we hadn't left the building. She said her boss would like totally like kill her. Oh Totally?

So I did my homework, I love TripAdvisor and wasn't sure what we would get when getting here. I wasn't sure if I would visit and side with those feeling that this was animal cruelty or with those who appreciated that this facility had the ability to keep some of these animals healthy and happy to the best of their abilities. I will be honest with you. I came, I saw, I fed the Lemur (still not a monkey) and chatted with the tour guide, Edward. I still don't know how I feel. I will say from a consumer standpoint it was a treat standing so close to such beautiful animals. Being an animal lover, I have to be honest when I say that I do not have the educational background to say whether or not these animals are being mistreated, whether their cages are the right size etc. I will say Swimming with a Tiger cub sounds odd and I'm wondering why they would do that??

Bottom Line: Visit for yourself and form your own opinion.

3  Thank MichelinaAR1
Reviewed June 10, 2014

It's been a while since my family has been there but we had a nice time when we went. We did the walking tour. It was my husband and I and our baby. I can't remember but I don't think strollers are allowed, we used a carrier. We had a great time. The park was shaded so that made it nice. The staff was super knowledgeable. There were only a few problems I had. You can't take pictures which I know is because they want to sell you their pictures. I think its a bit of a rip off. I would rather pay a little more for the ticket price then the high cost of their photos. Also, we paid to have an encounter and feed the bears. Feeding the bears was great! It was short but I felt worth it. After the tour they stop and do the animal encounters. This really needs to be rethought. We paid for an encounter and it was fine. Unfortunately, if you do not pay for an encounter you have to stare at everyone else have a good time. Also, even if you have an encounter then you still have to wait around for everyone to finish. It would be nice if those that didn't get an encounter could go wonder somewhere or have some other animals to look at or SOMETHING. I felt bad for the families that had children and trying to get them to wait. I understand they can't take the trolley back and forth but there are other options. It really was a fun time I just wish they would rethink how they handle the encounters. We left on a bad note instead of good one just because we had to sit for 30 minutes twiddling our thumbs.

2  Thank mlpgusty13