“What a gem hidden in Florida!”
Review of Giraffe Ranch

Giraffe Ranch
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Dade City
More attraction details
Owner description: Go on a high-quality, guided safari on a working exotic game ranch in Tampa Bay, Florida.
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

This is a must see, especially if you have children. Feed the lemurs and giraffes! They even have rhinos. The owners and crew are friendly, knowledgeable and awesome.

Alex S, Manager at Giraffe Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

We are glad you enjoyed our ranch! Thanks for your review!

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I love giraffes, so this was the highlight of our trip planning and a favorite for both my husband and me. The only thing I would say is if you go during the mating season (which we did) beware of the camels - quite messy with slobber. I wish the giraffes liked the attention as much as the camels. You can indeed feed the giraffes, but they don't like to be petted. 2 of the giraffes were pregnant and skittish. We loved seeing all of the animals and learning so much about each one we saw. Both the husband and wife shared different animals with us and didn't just show us and tell us but asked questions to see what we knew and then asked follow-ups as we touched and looked again to see if we understood. Touching and holding the animals was encouraged in most cases. Interesting stories. We had the son as our tour guide on the actual caravan ride and he shared his love of the animals as well. It was a relaxed atmosphere and our tour ended up being 2 1/2 hours rather than the 1 1/2 we expected.

2  Thank msfigment

Thanks for your review! Indeed, it is "that time of year" for our camels. Our dromedary camel "Forest Hump" becomes filled with excitement when he can greet our visitors. Sometimes slobber is involved—but only if you're lucky! ; )

We're glad to hear you had a nice time. Thank you for your feedback on the tour timing. We will update our website to reflect more accurately the tour length.

Hope to have you back for another outing!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I see other reviewers had the same problem I did and I also read Giraffe Ranch's reply -- basically that we are idiots for not reading the groupon limitations. I have read these vouchers over and over and still don't see a thing about not being able to use on certain dates. Maybe this was added after I purchased?? Aside from that, the only time to reach them is between 8:30-9:30 and that's if you press redial enough and get lucky to get through. The women who handles reservations is so rude...just horrible.
I am still trying to get groupon to refund my money, having a bad experience with that as well. It's enough to make me cancel my groupon account.

12  Thank Deborah E

Ms. Deborah Edwards:

Our policy is clearly stated on our web site: "Tour times are subject to availability."

After returning your calls three times, we finally made contact. You presented only one date you could come with your large party. The space had already been filled with voucher holders many weeks prior. You were not interested in hearing any additional dates or options, and were clearly frustrated.

TripAdvisor isn't a platform for being vindictive. Had you experienced our ranch first-hand, you would have come to appreciate these rules and limitations.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I wholeheartedly agree with everything dmcmsw03 said. Feeding the lemurs was amazing and so much fun. I even brought a T shirt that said "I fed the lemurs". It was amazing being so close to so many different animals. On the behind the scene tour they quietly let us into the giraffe barn. We love seeing the property and animals on the camel tour. It felt like a safari. We love the people who own and work there. We fed the rhino which was quite an interesting and somewhat slimy experience. We fed the giraffes too. We loved everything about the place. Bring cash and a hat for the camel ride. If I am in the area I would definitely return.

1  Thank CatMommyNj

Thank you for taking the time to review us! We're glad you enjoyed the lemur feeding! It really is a memorable experience. As you say, the rhino encounter/feeding is a bit slimy, but nonetheless, it is an incredible experience! We hope to have you back out!

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Yesterday I went to Giraffe Ranch in Dade City, FL with my husband. What an experience of a lifetime. You interact with the animals while the guides are informing you about their habitat and lives on the farm. The guides are very professional and educational with stories about their lives in the wild and here in Dade City. Much diferent than any zoo environment we have been in, here you are encouraged to get close and feed the animals by hand. Definitely dont forget to do the "feed the Leemur" stop. They are so gentle even with the children accepting food right from your hand.

1  Thank Kim M

Thank you for your review! We're honored to be considered a "bucket list" experience!