“Not impressed at all”

Elephant & Castle
Cuisines: International, British, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are situated in the lovely village of Hemingfield, Barnsley, just off junction 36 on the M1, close to Rotherham and Barnsley. A family run business (10 of us all together!). We are a fully homemade establishment that caters for family meals, romantic dining or special occasion events. We are a great lunch spot. We serve food Tuesday to Thursday 12 till 8pm, Friday and Saturday 12 till 9 pm and Sunday 12 till 4 pm12 till 9 and . Booking is recommended.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Having read all the fantastic reviews booked this for a small family meal to celebrate our Golden Wedding anniversary. To start with our grandson who lives in London told us he could not be with us. My daughter-in-law rang the pub and booked another place for my grandson and told them it was to surprise us On the day my husband took the cake down to be told someone had rang the pub and booked another person in - there could only be one other person so that spoiled the surprise. Now the meal - the waitress took our order and after each choice took the menu from my daughter-in-law to enter the cost into her electronic device. So the menu was like a fiddler's elbow - up and down between the two of them - not professional at all. And after all this she got it wrong and ordered an extra meal for us! After an hour sat waiting the starters arrived. My son's starter came complete with fly stuck to the plate but he insisted I did not make a fuss. Then another long wait until the main meal was served. Three of us had the set menu all having garlic mushrooms and chicken supreme. The garlic mushrooms were thin slivers of mushrooms surrounding a chunk of garlic bread and swimming in a thin sauce. The chicken supreme came on a bed of mashed potatoes, served with peas and broccoli - both chicken and potatoes very dry, Whilst we were eating one of the servers attended a table at the back of us and caught her foot in the carpet and nearly went flying and shouted out bl**** hell. Not very professional. Again whilst we were eating a dog came into the pub and wandered around between the tables and then went out again. Later some people came in with two big dogs and these were allowed to roam around the tables where people were eating. This, in my opinion, is disgusting, dogs should not be allowed where food is being served. I have to be honest and state that throughout the meal we were asked if everything was okay but how can you start complaining when you are in the middle of what is supposed to be a lovely family meal - it's embarrassing. Needless to say we were not impressed at all and cannot understand all the brilliant reviews that are on here. We certainly won't be returning.

1  Thank BettyBoop59
TAdvisor289, Front Office Manager at Elephant & Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi there,

Thankyou for your feedback, we take all feedback on board both positive and negative and try to improve our customer experience.

On the day of your booking we recieved a request to add one more person to the table, we advised that we were fully booked in our restaurant, however we could accommodate the extra person but the table would be moved to our fireside area. We were not told this was a surprise to anyone.

I was your server on Saturday. On the evening no complaints or comments were made about all the meals served. All starters and mains were served and cleared with no issues raised and all meals eaten. We make regular checkbacks on food and the only comments made from your table were positive. The bill was paid and a £10 tip left. Your table was advised to preorder upon booking, however this was something you advised you couldn't do.

Unfortunately there isn't anything we can do to rectify any issues if we are not informed of any.

We are dog friendly in our bar area but we only allow dogs in on leads. I actually recall your party stroking the dogs present and regarding themselves as ‘dog people’ therefore I am struggling to see the issue here.

I believe this review is worth more than 1* as no issues were raised at any point during your visit therefore giving us no opportunity to rectify the said issues and only positive feedback was given by your party members.

Thanks.

Write a reviewReviews (1,262)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Just had the most delicious Sunday lunch here. The pork loin was amazing! Everyone in my party (8 of us) thoroughly enjoyed it and the deserts were to die for! Would highly recommend and will certainly return.

1  Thank JoPage12
TAdvisor289, Front Office Manager at Elephant & Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi Jo,

Thank you for your kind comments! I am so glad you enjoyed your visit! I hope you will continue to do so in the future!

Our food is homemade and locally produced, cooked fresh to order for each customer. Our culinary team work tirelessly to cook perfect meals for you to enjoy and also create unique menus and daily specials!

We always try our best to accommodate tables of any size for every occasion and make it memorable for you and your guests!

All of our waiting and front of house staff are friendly, polite and happy to help with anything you may need during your visit with us!

We pride ourselves in creating a comfortable, homely atmosphere for our customers to relax and unwind in!

Why not join us on Burger Night Monday for our amazing burgers?

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Visited our favourite local last night! I have to say the food and service were second to none! Mollie was excellent, always knows what I like! I'm quite a fussy eater! Loved the new decor too, perfect night! xx

1  Thank 123jota

Hi there,

I was your server and it was a pleasure to serve you as it always is!

Why not join us on Sunday for our popular Sunday lunch?

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We first visited last week for a light lunch and we have returned today and can honestly say this is our new favourite place, good value for money food is of very high presentation and quality , great selection of drinks, beautifully decorated inside and out,

1  Thank ziyonal

Hi there,

We have a huge drinks selection including draught products, gins, whiskeys and spirits and so much more!

Why not join us on Friday for our A la Carté menu?

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited for my daughters 21st birthday, as a party of 35! We pre ordered our meals and to our delight all the food came out on time, perfectly cooked and presented, by friendly and professional waitresses. The food was beautiful! Check backs were done shortly after receiving our meals and plates were cleared within minutes of everyone finishing. Desserts were also served and cleared in a very organised manor. They even set the tables up with decorations! It couldn’t have gone any better. I would definitely recommend. I’m so glad we chose the Elephant & Castle to celebrate my daughters special day!
Thankyou again :-)

1  Thank JJACT

Hi there,

We always check back on our customers several times throughout their visit to ensure their meal is up to our high standards and is being enjoyed by all!

Why not join us on Treat Thursday for our set menu with fizz?