“Still love the Plantation...”

Plantation on Crystal River
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Crystal River
Virginia Beach, VA
“Still love the Plantation...”
Reviewed December 18, 2011

WE stayed for four nights over Thanksgiving.. the property is under new ownership again.. this was our 6th trip in 5 years. Love the old school charm. Love the golf course on the property.. staff is friendly.. they have a great Fitness center in one of the buildings. They don't promote it enough. It is awesome. The food here is great... a little expensive but dinners and lunches are really good. We just can't find the charm anywhere else as we do at the Plantation.

1 Thank Golfsunnut

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
Evans, Georgia
Reviewed December 11, 2011

My wife and I stayed here this summer back in July as we were traveling through Florida on our way to Gulf Shores Alabama to spend a week with my family. We had some time between our stay with friends down in Orlando, and spending the week in Gulf Shores. I had never heard of this place, but my wife found it on the internet. I wanted to play some Florida golf, and this was one of three places I got to play there. Upon arriving we found the resort to be very nice. I loved the retro feel of the place. Check in was easy. Our room was clean and comfortable. This resort would be great for our family reunions, if we could just get some of the members to drive down there to it! :) We had a delicious lunch, and the waitress was very nice and told us some of the history of the resort. I could just imagine this place had a million stories to tell. The next morning I had a tee time at the golf course there. My wife and I had breakfast there. Everything was delcious. The golf course was in great shape. On the first hole, there was a pond behind the green. When I got to the green I looked over into the pond and there was an alligator. Don't see many of those where we live in Georgia. Had a nice round of golf. Afterwards we checked out and continued on our journey. We did use the pool while we were there. It was refreshing and cool. We hope to return next summer.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank deepiper
alma
Reviewed December 2, 2011

The room was fine, fitness center fine. Breakfast every morning was fine. Staff was very helpful letting our group of four print from their printer at the desk when the printer in the business center didn't work. I would have to say that the manatee swim was the highlight. Our guide was very knowledgeable and made the experience very exciting. The only advice I would have is that they take the group to 3 sisters first to get used to being around the manatees before the very interactive experience at king river. I wouldn't have been so fearful, had we went to 3 sisters first. The DVD of the swim was very good and well worth the money as I had something to share with my family. I am planning another trip next November and plan to stay there again. Nobody in my group had trouble with bed bugs. But I would definitely check next time.

Room Tip: We stayed in the building where the fitness center is. There is no ice machine in that building.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Boston
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I selected this hotel with some trepidation given the mixed reviews on Trip Advisor, but am glad I did.

Pros:
- Our room was clean and very nicely furnished/decorated with an "old Florida" feel.
- The beds were extremely comfortable; we slept well!
- The fitness center, which was thankfully in our building, had 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, 2 bikes, a weight machine and barbells. It was spacious and the equipment was well maintained; exactly what we look for in a hotel fitness center.
- The grounds were manicured, and the drive up to the main building gave the inn a true old plantation vibe.
- Parking was right outside our building so we didn't have to walk far.
- The temperature control in our room was great! Our desired temperature was consistently maintained without loud noises each time the system engaged or disengaged.

Cons:
- We were told the pool was heated, but it was too cold for me. I never saw anyone else in it, either.
- The business center was sparse with only one computer. It was two buildings away from ours, I had to wait to use it, and there were people waiting to use it when I left.
- Some of the inn's advertising suggests you can swim with the manatees from their pier. (The woman at the front desk also told me this when we checked in.) This is not true. You can take a boat from the pier to go to the spot where you can swim with the manatees but you can't swim with the manatees from the inn's pier.
- During the afternoon, we heard an entire conversation from the room next door. Thankfully, we didn't hear anything later that evening when we were going to bed.
- We had nine pillows in our room, and not a single one of them was firm.
- The air conditioning in the hall was blasting when the temperature outside was in the 50's. Quite a shock when you rush inside to get warm.

We didn't use the dive shop, restaurant, or golf course. There were a lot of other guests at the inn during our stay due to a wedding and a conference. Some were using the rocking chairs on the front porch. They seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Clearwater Florida
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We spent a night here over the weekend - The resort was very disappointing to us,as we were looking forward to a luxury weekend away. The setting on the river and the Plantation home is very pretty but needs to be updated indoors - perhaps some new fresh carpets in the rooms and hall ways. The rooms were clean and neat but an odor was off putting to me - possibly from the carpets as everything seemed clean. The staff all round were most pleasant and helpful and the boat rentals were a must to make the most of this area - the manatee sightings were truly great. The gazebo looked beautiful - perfect for a wedding.
Our dining experience also needed improvement - again great staff but the food was just so so but the prices high. Desserts were good. Possibly the best accommodation in the area but think some improvements are definitely in order.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank JaneC83
Palmetto, Florida
Reviewed November 11, 2011

This is a great little get away reasonably priced depending on what you want to do good to excellent. Resort is dated but clean right on river golf is across the street nice courses 1, 18 and 1, 9 Course was in good shape greens were in very good shape. there is a marina on the resort very friendly excellent trip for interaction with manatees good equipment they also rent kayaks. The Manatee experience was awesome!!!!
great idea for a two or three night trip. We will definitely be back to visit with the manatees again.

Henderson, NV
Reviewed November 7, 2011

This was the most wonderful experince! Well trained staff educated you in how to interact with the manatee so both they and us enjoyed the experience to the fullest. Wet suits, and snorkels are provided for a minimal fee...and well worth it! The manatees approched the boat as soon as we anchored, and when we got in the water, we were greeted by these gentle giants with flipper hugs, and nuzzeling of those whiskered smiling faces. An hour spent playing with these amazing creatures then we were off to Three Sisters Springs and more manatees,.
Crystal clear waters, 72 degree water temperatures, lots of fish swimming by, made for an underwater adventure not soon to be forgotten. Hot coffe, tea or cocoa made the ride back to the Plantation very comfy and pleasurable. Directions were given on how to remove our wet suits, and where to watch the video that was just filmed. At NO time was any pressure applied to purchase a DVD from them. This company was friendly, professional, and fun all at the same time. I would reccomend their services without a moment's hesitation. Thank you Plantation Dive Shop for a memorial event!

2 Thank DesertLady466