“Great Service, Great Location... more than what I'd expect from a BW”

Best Western Crystal River Resort
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Crystal River
Clearwater, Florida
“Great Service, Great Location... more than what I'd expect from a BW”
Reviewed July 13, 2010

We arrived on July 9th for a weekend of scalloping. The check in process went smoothly, we even asked for a room close to our friends and they honored our request. The room was clean as was the pool area and the grounds (considering what a busy weeekend it was). This is not a resort style vacation spot, but perfect for the area and the festivities. The staff at breakfast (included in your stay) were always smiling and helpful. The bar staff next door at Crackers was top notch as were the generous portions of tasty food. Having the boat there in the water was icing on the cake. We'll be back next year!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank sgator77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
california
Reviewed June 15, 2010

We (2 of us) stayed here for two nights while visiting some of the national wildlife refuges in the area. This hotel is huge; there are several two-story buildings full of rooms. It’s very near the water, though you can’t see the water from the rooms, save for a few maybe. The tiny hotel pool, though, is right next to the water.

We had no reservations and were given a handicapped room on the first floor because it was the only non-smoking king room available. It was clean and the furnishings, appliances and bedding, while not new, were in decent shape. It was quiet, though we heard the neighbors in the shower. The bed was comfortable. The fixtures in the bathroom seemed relatively new.

We used the pool. Other than its location, which was nice for reading a book, it was useless. The water was not well-chlorinated and tasted like sweat--yuck. The pool was tiny, not swimmable, and couldn't hold more than ten people without rubbing elbows, so it must be a nightmare in the high season. There are also no towels at the pool, which is a big omission. There is a small hot tub, though given the lack of chlorination in the pool, I did not dare risk going in.

The breakfast was typical hotel fare, well-stocked and tidy.

We paid $88 a night plus tax for this room, which felt way too high for what this hotel offers, especially as we were there in the off season. For this reason, we would not go back.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Port Richey, Florida
Reviewed May 28, 2010

We have been traveling to Crystal River for approx. 15 years. We were involved in the Cops and Kids fishing tournament that was hosted by the Best Western in Crystal River. We knew that we would be arriving past 12:00 am so we called ahead of time and reserved our room. When we arrived we were greeted by "Darnell" the nighttime security guard. He asked for all of our Id's. We were travelling with my 8 year old son, my 22 year old younger brother, and his 20 year old girlfriend. My husband, my brother, and myself were "allowed" to say because we could produce identification showing our age. Darnell would not allow my child and my brothers girlfriend to stay because they were under 21! My son was so tired and wanted to sleep. We begged Darnell to let us stay because it was 1:30 in the morning and we were exausted! We were sent away. I never knew Best Western to discriminate against Minors! I will NEVER stay at a Best Western again!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank eericarenee
Panama City, FL
Reviewed May 15, 2010

We are currently at the motel, the clerk said the room was by the pool. No, it's 15 feet from the pool and hot tub; and all the shrieking kids and parents who hang out and have loud talks right outside our room. The room is OK, just an average motel room but clean and neat. DO NOT stay in the 1100 building; besides the pool, there is a bar band 6 feet from the back wall of the rooms. It is loud and it is a BAD bar band. We won't be able to sleep for hours. Unless I lose my mind and call the office and hope we can move. I'm close.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank clmfla
florida
Reviewed April 4, 2010

my wife and I were traveling through crystal river and decided to spend the night. when I checked in I asked for a king, non smoking room. I was told by the desk clerk that the only king left was a handicap equipped suite at a much higher rate then the normal room. I took the room because we were tired, had been driving all day and we were hungry. I asked about local dining and a nearby restaurant was reccomended. the clerk told me don't forget the breakfast served in the lobby from 6 till 9 a.m.

We had an average dinner and returned to the hotel and went to our room. When we went in the room smelled like mildew and the bed was not a king. I called the front desk and asked for a change of rooms and was told that the only rooms left were smoking rooms. We are used to a king but decided to stay because it was dark and we were tired. The room had a wheel chair roll in shower but strangely there was no wheel chair ramp to access the room and if you were in a wheelchair you would have to be carried up 7 steep steps.

We spent an uncomfortable night, got up a little late and made it for breakfast at 9:35 a.m. Breakfast was gone we were told it was served till 9:30. The breakfast lady did not even offer coffee and a roll but did manage to point out a tiny sign that said breakfast served six to nine thirty. I turned in my key and told the lady at the front desk that the room smelled like mildew and we were not happy customers, she took the key, turned around and walked into a back room with no comment.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,161 helpful votes
Reviewed March 13, 2010

I was worried about staying here given the reviews but decided to give it a go as it was so convenient for the manatee snorkel trips.

The hotel is old, but service is good and the rooms well maintained, clean, have free WIFI (they also have a free terminal you can use in their lounge), free breakfast (can´t comment on this as I was on a snorkel tour both mornings when they opened at 6:30 AM.) My king bed was super comfortable and I slept well. (If you don´t want to be next to cars, ask to be in the upstairs bedrooms (they are Kings) rather than in the twins downstairs.)

There are two decent restaurants a few steps away.

If you want to snorkel with manatees, I recommend Bird´s Underwater. They are on the water a very short walk from the hotel. Crystal Divers leaves in front of the hotel, but Bird´s is the first boat out as they they get you to their shop at 6:15AM. Other dive shops were getting their folks to the site when we had already finished our snorkel. They also really care for the manatees and will tell people off for crowding them and even called the Wildlife Dept. when they noticed one manatee was not doing well. It was great having the springs to ourselves until American Pro Dive showed up with tons of kids who harrased the manatees.

Birds recommended a visit to the Homossassa Springs Wildlife Park which was great. It´s only 20 minutes drive from the hotel.

I´ve decided to come back to snorkel with the manatees with my nephew and niece and will definitely stay at the Best Western.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank poleinahole1
Liverpool, NY
Reviewed February 24, 2010

I was actually surprised when we got to the hotel because of the setup - it's separated into many different buildings. I was hoping it would be fun, but was quickly disappointed. The architecture is terrible and you can hear EVERYTHING. We got to listen to our next door neighbor's tv for a few hours and the upstairs neighbor stomping around. But by far, the thing that pissed us off the most was that we were woken up at 6:30am by approximately 50 people outside our hotel room yelling, talking, being EXTREMELY loud!! We were mad! If we didn't plan on getting up relatively early anyway, we would've gone out and said something. I mean, it was bad! I don't know if these people were with a tour group or what, but they had absolutely no regard for anyone else staying in the hotel. Kids yelling and screaming, parents doing the same. And it was literally right in front of our hotel room door. The hotel was convenient for our travel plans, but I absolutely would not stay there again!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple