TripAdvisor
Crystal River
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews fire pit crystal blue lagoon tour boats manatee season kings bay great place to stay paddle block spring diving fridge property manatees dock
Selected filters
Reviewed March 24, 2019

This property is now called the Crystal Blue Lagoon Bed and Breakfast. It is not a traditional bed and breakfast. The owner does not stay on property and breakfast is help yourself to cold cereals, instant oatmeals, breads and pastries, or there are eggs and meats available if you want to cook.There are snacks and drinks available as well. The downstairs of the house is actually almost magical. It is bright and open and floor murals cover every inch of the open floor plan and with tons of seating overlooking the river. The bedrooms are decent sized with a comfy bed. There is also a huge second story deck overlooking the cove with lots of seating and a great view.
There are four clear kayaks available at any time and two traditional kayaks. The clear kayaks were fun to try out but they are sort of like a kayak-canoe hybrid and felt rather like paddling a bathtub. If we had stayed longer I think we would have switched over the the traditional kayaks and traveled further. Having those kayaks on site, however, saves a bundle of money on rental fees.
We did not actually see any manatees while we were there. We had been told most of them had left the area when the weather had warmed up early. We know there were manatees in the cove because there were numerous snorkeling tour boats there from sun up to sun down, but they were always surrounding any manatees in the water and we could not get close enough to even see them. I don't know if this happens when the manatees in the area are more plentiful. We did paddle around to Crackers restaurant where you can dock your kayaks and they have a really nice deck to eat on.
The only issues we had there were related to showering.The hot water completely ran out one morning but, to their credit, when I texted the owners a handyman appeared at the door in about 15 minutes. He stated that it was probably just someone else using the hot water at the same time, so you might want to try to coordinate shower times. Also, we learned very quickly not to let anyone else flush or turn on the sink water in the bathroom while someone else was taking a shower.
All and all it is a really unique place to stay. There are restaurants and at least three nice playgrounds within walking distance. The only real downside of our stay were the tour boats all over the cove.

Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2018

At first I thought this place was a little "Ketchy", very quaint, painted floors are beautiful, a Floridian vibe. We stayed two nights and I was pleasantly surprised. The Three Sisters State Park is a mile down the road, and 20 minutes by kayak (3 kayaks for guests on site). Since the only access is walking or kayak, it was perfect (no cars or bike access to the park). This is the park with clear blue water where the manatees hang out, although they were literally right outside the house too (baby manatee so the pod was there, even though not Manatee season (July). We happened to go during the Scallop Festival, drove our cars over rather than walking, and found with no parking the perfect place to park was back at the B&B. The kids wanted to rent paddle boards - and again, the rental / park is 4 blocks away. There's a fantastic restaurant (crab shack?) about 6 miles away too, inexpensive and really 5 star food. The best part was the open kitchen floor plan. Our friends could meet up with us and plan our day, and I loved being able to cook breakfast or whatever we wanted, store our food in the fridge, and that they asked what we wanted for breakfast and bought yogurt just for us. My comparison would be it's like you're staying at your own home, private, occasionally chat with other guests, but very laid back. We will be going again.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed March 9, 2017

This place was amazing, we stayed at the Crystal Cove bed and breakfast during July of 2016.. The moment we walked onto the property I felt as though we were in our home away from home.We rented the entire house. My days were full of family and fun!! Thank you Chelsea for all of your help and kindness.. This will be an annual trip for our famly.. I loved being on the Spring.. Breathtaking mornings and memorys that I will never forget.

Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank 88brooksk
Reviewed August 24, 2016 via mobile

We stayed at Crystal Cove bed and breakfast in July, and it met all expectations, Chelsea was helpful beyond expectations and we felt at home, the place is well situated and there are springs right on the property.
I totally recommend staying here if you ever find yourself in the area.

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2016 via mobile

We stayed at this wonderful B&B for 6 days. We were escaping the bitter Northern cold and we were looking for a nature getaway. Chelsea welcomed us with a smile and all the information we needed to make our vacation wonderful. She even helped us book for a manatee swim, saw that a couple of kayaks be delivered right to the door, and even surprised me by picking me up the best espresso in the region!

Always ready to help and full of positive energy, we felt like we had known her for years! If you love nature, I greatly recommend staying here during your stay in Crystal River! The mullets jump out of the water, waterfowl can easily be seen, Ospreys are seen diving into the water and even a manatee came by to say hello. There are many restaurants around and we tried most of them during our stay.

The room and bed were both very comfortable. Everything was very clean! We played pool in the recreational / living room area and even had a nice evening sitting by the fire pit. My favourite place however was sitting by the water looking at the beautiful scenery. My husband on the other hand, spent his time snorkelling around the area, in the hopes of coming face to face with a manatee!

Looking for a romantic, nature getaway? Look no further...

Date of stay: May 2016