“Not as I had hoped” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of King's Bay Lodge

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
King's Bay Lodge
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Crystal River
Louisville, Kentucky
“Not as I had hoped”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

Last year I stayed at a "mom and pop" hotel in Bar Harbor. Based on my great experience there and good reviews online (and the fact that it was cheap), I booked this one. When I arrived around 5:30 there was a note on the office door "Out to dinner. Be back by 8:30." My thought was "Are you kidding? 3 hours for dinner?" The note also said my room was unlocked. Since I didn't know which room that was, not so helpful. The person did leave a number for me to call. No one answered so I left a message. Thankfully I got a return call fairly quickly. The person said "Oh, I thought you'd have written your room number down from the reservation". (Note- there is no electronic reservaiton. You just call, they write it down.) This did not get my stay off to a good start. What if I didn't have a cell phone (not everyone does), my battery was dead, or I had no coverage? Not good.

I expected things to be old, but I did expect things to be in better condition. The baking soda in the refrigerator was 6 years old (see photo), the coat rack was missing pieces, the room needed painting, and the foam was coming out of one of the recliners. Folks, this is EASY stuff. Perhaps my previous stay in a mom and pop place had spoiled me, but for $20-$30 more/night, I'd definitely have went with a chain hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank TravelTravelNow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

This was so perfect for my wife and I,we brought down the boat and were able to launch right around the corner at Pete's Pier and park the boat trailer behind our room plus pull the boat right out front of our room in the boat slip.Perfect location for all activities.Several springs are minutes away,swim with the manatees or just cruise the river to the gulf.Very well maintained rooms and grounds,floating docks make for smooth launching of boats.

Room Tip: Room 17 is the closest to the boat slips and right at the water. BBQ grill on site,picinic tables,p...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank drummerbrat
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

We originally planned to stay 2 nights but took an extra night. As other reviewers have said rooms are old but the one we stayed in was huge. With a well equipped kitchen and serviceable bathroom. The bed was comfortable and the unit clean, even if it was a little worn around the edges! If you want the Ritz-Carlton or even a Marriott this ain't it, but we were very comfortable there. There is a communal cook-out area, a boat dock and natural warm spring fed swimming pool. There is a small boat charter service that operates from the motel's dock that runs a great service to view the local Manatees. Restaurants, shops and bars are all within walking distance. We wouldn't hesitate to return if we were in the area.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Spamgang
Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2011

We were booked for 4 nights and ended up staying 8! The place isn't new and if you are very fuzzy you might want to go elsewhere. But it was clean and the room large. The location is excellent with resaturants (and the heritage village") within walking distance. The room did have an odd smell, but once we located (and turned of) a "room freshener" there was no smell! Beds were maybe a bit soft, but kagre and with a lamp light enough for easy reading in bed. The recliners in front of the TV was marvelous. Lots of squirrels to watch!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sitta
Alabaster, Alabama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

Location is perfect, Florida pool is really pretty, grounds are relaxing. Could be an absolutely beautiful place but needs a lot of maintenance. Some of the rooms leave much to be desired. We had two rooms - one was OK and clean though old, the other (#17) was not OK, dirty and also old. In that one, the appliances were rusted, oven had been sprayed with cleaner and baked on, fuzzy mold in torn refrigerator gasket, mold in corners of shower and terrible musty odor from a/c. We disinfected everything with bleach and used disinfecting room deodorizer and stayed the 4 nights we had reserved. We would stay there again providing a lot of updating were done because of the location and the fact that we love the mom and pop motels as opposed to the chains. My advice if you stay there is check out your room closely before you check in.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank parrothead43
Central FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

We had unit #9 which was very clean except for nasty ceiling tiles and crumbs on the table between the recliners. The bathroom was updated and very nice. The air conditioner was super noisy so we had to turn it on when we left the room for cool down and then just use the fan mode upon our return. Beds very comfortable and the recliners as well. Natural swimming pool a hoot but I had to wait until tide was in due to the depth factor to go for a very cool dip. Glad that I got to experience such a thing! Great central location in Crystal River. You can walk to 3 different parks plus restaurants and shops. Pretty darn good value for $70 per night plus tax....

Room Tip: Ask for a unit with a quiet a/c which is NOT #9.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sweetgrits1950
Mumbles, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed for one night prior to a Manatee Swim, hoping to see what an old time Florida Motel was all about. We realy enjoyed our stay. The old furnishings in the room was more than made up for by the size of the room itself. The Florida Pool was fantastic, our children loved the water-chute and the fact that fish could be seen swimming in the pool! All in all our stay was great fun and a real antidote to the bland chain hotels you so often find.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family