“Location and Convenience”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Crystal River
Navarre,Fl
“Location and Convenience”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this location last week.After reading the many bad reviews on some of the other hotel sites,we had our doubts,so I decided to call the hotel and ask why all the bad reviews.I spoke to a really nice lady named Marge( She is one of the assets along with Rebecca that made our stay pleasant)Marge told me that many of the bad reviews come from people who expect a 4 star type hotel on the water for under $60 a night and are obviously disappointed.She assured me the rooms are old but clean,and the location would make up for any negatives.We decided to take a chance and booked the room.
The hotel looked old and slightly run down, but did not have a falling down roof as one reviewer alleged,it had ample parking for cars and cars with trailers( There is a boat ramp for hotel guests).There is a well maintained pool behind the Marina building.
Our room was a king room with refrigerator and microwave overlooking the Marina.The room was old as advertised, but clean. What some might consider unclean is just the age showing in some of the grout etc.The room was spacious with a sitting area with fold out sleeper,2 sinks and a balcony.The mattresses were old but clean and comfortable .The negatives were one of the two air conditioners was in serious need of replacement( The second amply cooled the room),the sliding door to the balcony needed new rollers,and there were some small crudely patched holes in one of the walls, no in room coffee maker( there is excellent coffee available in the office 24/7).The positives,the staff was great,the restaurant and the marina on the property were simple but excellent.We ate all our meals at the restaurant ,but there are many others within a short driving distance. For the nature lovers, on our first night while dining overlooking the bay we saw two otters, many birds and some manatees.On the property are 2 nesting Ospreys,and next door at the fish and game headquarters 2 nesting barred owls.
The convenience of having having Manatee tours, canoe and boat rentals on property was great,the marina staff was excellent.The view was priceless( We had 6 Manatees swim into the marina in front of our room)
In conclusion,if you are looking for the a 4 or 5 star hotel on the water this place is not for you.If you frequent 2 and 3 star hotels you can't beat the location for the price.Some of the rooms have already been upgraded,and they are slowly improving others.Any questions talk to Marge.

Room Tip: Call the hotel,ask for a room with a good view,there are one or two overlooking the restaurant roof...
2 Thank Sandlover1216

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed April 1, 2012

My husband and I travel as often as possible, and we've been to many places throughout FL, the US, and across the globe. And, we've stayed in many different types of hotels. One thing that we most appreciate in our travel (and especially here in FL) is being able to see and be a part of the rare, unspoiled beauty of nature. We also appreciate value. As a 4th-generation Floridian, I've witnessed so much of the gorgeous state where I grew up being destroyed, so, you can imagine how thrilled I am to know that places like Homosassa Springs, Crystal River, and the Port Hotel and Marina still exist. My husband and I stayed here in February for several days during "manatee season", and we had a wonderful time. Our 2nd-floor room was large, quiet, clean, and comfortable, an excellent value for the cost, and the hotel's location and view of King's Bay are unmatched. We watched manatees from our balcony! Sure, the hotel is old, and it absolutely needs to be refurbished, but the relatively inexpensive price of a stay here it provides you with an access to King's Bay that just doesn't exist elsewhere, and may not exist here much longer, either (notice the "McMansions" encroaching around the bay?). The very friendly and helpful staff (a special THANK YOU to MARGE!) and really good food at the nearby Ale House are simply icing on the cake. And the gorgeous sunsets viewed from our oversized balcony were priceless. So - all things considered, we'd have to call the Port Hotel and Marina a hidden gem for experiencing the natural beauty, peace, and quiet, of FL at its best; and we hope to return again, soon.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms/building 1 have an excellent view of King's Bay - you can watch manatees surface...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ID2734
Anniston, Alabama
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We arrived yesterday and were pleasantly surprised after reading the reviews. Our king room is a suite with seperate hideabed sofas. 2 sinks, and all the soaps and shampoos. It is old, but our room has new carpet and bed. Slept peacefully with the sliding door open. Have seen 3 manatees from our balcony this morning. Would come again. And the restaurant and tiki bar is great.

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank SallyE0307
Tampa
Reviewed March 18, 2012

If you like sleeping in abandoned buildings , then this place might be for you. If you have no sense of smell and don't mind an air conditioning unit that sounds like a jet engine, then this place is for you. If you are not over 6', and have absolutely no sense of interior design, then you certainly won't mind the low popcorn ceiling and horrific decor. No coffee, no cable, no fridge, no flat screen, no real amenities to speak of save the view. My dog wouldn't even rent a room here!

Room Tip: no room is a good room here
3 Thank Sue W

Travelers are raving about these Crystal River hotels

Media
Reviewed March 16, 2012

We are not picky, so I as I read the reviews before booking I felt we would only be there one night and it would be okay. We arrived on the day they were switching out mattresses. We were okay with that.. Entered our room on the 1st floor in the A building, to a BIG whiff of cigarette smoke. Okay, next, walked through the room to open the curtains, spiders (3) fell from them and landed on me, EWW! The sliding door had multiple locks on it that did not work since the door would not completely close, so they resorted to installing a chain. I guess that is how the spiders got in.... AND although we tried very hard to open it, we felt we would break the door if we tried any harder and gave up.
Asked the receptionist to use the printer to print out a forgotten coupon, not available, if you need computer access, FORGET IT.
Bottom line, really did not feel safe so we turned our key in and went to the Holiday Inn Express.

1 Thank luv2travelafar
Palm Valley, FL
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Okay, so if your looking for something, nice, on the waterfront, well then this is not your place. I booked our reservations online, and of course you never know what your going to get doing that. I have to be honest and state that when we travel we usually stay at places like Hampton Inn. There wasn't anything like this on the water.. So we took our chances. Upon driving in, I took one look and almost cried. It was like circa 1950's. Which we found out it was. Elvis actually stayed here/and or filmed a movie in this very Hotel. Finding the office wasn't 'hard' but not easy, as there wasn't a sign for the office....and it appears that the office area has settled quite a bit. We checked in and we were handed the 'key'...A real KEY! How long has it been since hotels used real metal keys... Upon finding the building that our room was in, I then spied the staircase that we must use to get to the second floor. It didn't appear very solid to me. It was old and wooden. I swear that the closer I got to the top the shorter I got. All I could think of was the staircase giving way. But, it didn't. I dared not rely on the railing. Found our room and went inside. It was like stepping back in time. BUT, it was fairly clean. I was about to cry. My b/f and I are not uppity up type people, but this was a stretch for us. Now we had noticed at check in that the hotel was in the process of having new beds put into the rooms. There was a sign at the desk stating this. So at least we'd have a comfortable bed.(so we thought, I'll explain more later) We are the type that we bring our own sheets, towels, pillows etc.. So I stripped back the bedding while he was disinfecting the room. WELL I for one am thankful we bring our own, as the sheets were stained. Most likely washed, but eww just the same. The pillows were like flat pancakes. And for a King size bed only three of them. As we prepared for bed, of course we must shower. I can say this the water pressure was good, and there was hot water. The shower curtain had mold at the top around the rings and water just went straight thru it. We were late to arrive as we drove in after work. We had booked a manatee tour for 8:30am, so we had to just deal with things. What an adventure we were going to have. YAY! NOT! Oh one thing, no clock in the room and our TV remote did not work. We made it thru the first night. I can say this. The hotel was quiet and we slept well. Up in the morning we now began to notice we both smelled like cigarettes. What? We don't smoke. AH the mattress. We found it reeked of cigarettes. So we must still have an 'old' mattress. Down the stairs we go, off to swim with the manatees. At bottom of stairs we come across a flat bed trailer fully loaded with mattress'. We were thinking these were the 'old' ones they were taking out.. We were WRONG. These were the ones they were putting in. And they looked just like the one in our room. The ones being replaced were right there and OH MY GOD,now those were OLD...Probably since the 50's. Manatee swim was great. Captain Roderick was awesome. After our swim we decided to just make the best of it. After all Crystal River is small, and we'd waste a lot of our rare free time to find another hotel.. Again like I said it was clean. We tried the ALE HOUSE restaurant. Sat out on the patio for drinks first. There were alot of servers bustling around, but it took us FOREVER to give our order and then receive the drink. It was a beautiful view, but getting too breezy for me, so we took our drinks inside to the bar. The bartender was great. We ordered our meals and we were very surprised. Our food was very good. The bartender was friendly, attentive and informative. Although we won't stay here again, our overall experience wasn't horrid. Having the ability to have a dive shop, kayak rentals, boat rentals, manatee swim, food and a bar on property make this a nice choice. Just don't have high expectations. This place has GREAT POTENTIAL if they did a general renovation. I think they missed their mark by not doing this earlier.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ARKPalmValley_FL
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2012

This Hotel not suitable for picky people.Hotel is basic but very adequate and has beautiful views from bedroom,restaurant and grounds.Food was excellent in the Ale House and reasonable.The Happy Hour(4-7pm)was the icing on the cake.Wild life was fantastic as were the staff especially Marge on the front desk.The Hotel is excellent value for what you get.We have no complaints and I believe the management are upgrading rooms with fridges and microwaves.We will definately stay again and hope it doesn't change too much.

Room Tip: upper floor for the best view.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Days Inn Crystal River
Days Inn Crystal River
#6 of 9 in Crystal River
Comfort Suites near Rainbow Springs

Been to The Port Hotel and Marina? Share your experiences!