“Disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Charlie's Fish House

Charlie's Fish House
Ranked #10 of 99 Restaurants in Crystal River
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Miami, Florida
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I had heard good things about Charlie's and was hoping for a great meal. I had a piece of grouper for my choice, for an extra $0.40 I requested it be blackened. The fish came from the kitchen with a curled contorted appearance, a little dry and with a light brown coating that had a faint hint of hot pepper. Nothing like the blackened seafood I have had in New Orleans, Winston Salem or even Peoria where you can tell that it has been blackened with your eyes shut.

My wife had crab-stuffed turbot which I sampled. This also was overdone. I have to admit that there was a crab flavor to the bread stuffing in the fish but the ratio of bread to crab was likely greater than 10.

The service was fairly quick and friendly. Maybe that is why Charlies gets high ratings. The food was nothing special.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Donna, Texas
“Nice Lunch with a View”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

We didn't know what we would experience but tried Charlies. It was a good decision. The lobster bisque was fantastic. We shared a Platter and they were so good in explaining the different ways they could cook the food. We went with the recommendation and weren't very pleased. Happy hour was 2 drinks for the price of one. Nice view and the waitress was so kind.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CampersontheGo
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Great Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

As the label says - fish in all shapes and sizes (and steaks) - sides were special. Service was quick and friendly. Highly recommended.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank MikeB16
Crystal River, Florida, United States
“Re: Charlies Fish House”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

I remember not being impressed with what ordered. I had gone with friends that were visiting and they wanted to go there.

Pensacola, Florida
“Should Have Had My Meal Broiled Or Baked”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

I got here at the latter part of dinner time. I was hungry, so I ordered something faster to prepare. Basically, I decided on a fried combo platter.

The problem was when I tasted it. It was not bad, but it tasted like other foods previously fried. I had fish, clams and scallops. I tasted oysters and other stuff. It was clear they fried in the same oil for too long!!! A couple next to me said their french fries tasted like my fish, etc.

The food selection at that time was great! But getting it to my table was some sort of issue. I never found out what happened. I just remember the odd looks I got from a few staff members when I left. I think someone heard my conversation with the couple next to me.

I believe this restaurant is a better place for lunch. If they are very busy all the time, then the oil used for frying is beat on real hard. My food was good, but the breading absorbed to much 'other flavor' from the oil.

If I eat here again, it will be broiled or baked!!!

• Visited July 2012