“Went back 2 nights in a row!”
Review of Fat Cat Grill - CLOSED

Fat Cat Grill
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located in a historic building in downtown Crystal River, Fat Cat Grill offers fresh, Southern inspired, specialties cooked over our wood burning grill. A Full liquor bar has been added serving moderately priced cocktails, wines and specialty beers
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Out of desperation we took a chance on the Fat Cat, we were pleasantly surprised with the cleanliness and friendliness. We only ordered the crab soup w sherry and focaccia bread appetizers as we were skeptical and it was late. We fully enjoyed it and as we looked around we realized our fears were unfounded and we went back the next night to enjoy more selections. We were not disappointed! Thanks Fat Cat you are an oasis in a sea of bad restaurants in town.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

TERRIBLE, uncaring service. This review comes from a former waitress, so please know that I am often TOO nice and don't want to say anything, as I understand how difficult the job can be. That being said, we had a new waitress who had obviously NEVER waited tables and had not been trained whatsoever. When I asked for a Sauvignon Blanc, she didn't even know what it was, or if they had any. Yikes! That was just the beginning. Everything, and I mean everything we asked her, she had to go ask someone else, which really prolonged our time there. She clearly needed more training before being sent out to ruin people's evening. Our children were starving, and unlike most places, they never once offered to bring out their meal first. We waited an hour and 15 minutes for our meal, and the places was not even crowed? I am sure she forgot to put our order in, as a couple that came in 30 minutes after us, yet they were served 30 minutes before us. The food was good but nothing to write home about. The décor was VERY plain for such an "upscale" and pricey menu. The service was what ruined this evening for us, though. No manager ever came over and apologized. We just got a real quick, "Your server is new," but that's it. I finally decided to get up and go talk to the owner/manager. They listened me as I spoke politely about our experience but still never came over to apologize. Our waitress simply brought us the check, which we were over-charged for (so that had to be fixed, too!) and said to ask for someone else next time. On top of that, we were not compensated for anything!! I have never experienced such unprofessional service and unsympathetic service in my life. It was a real downer, as we told the staff we were celebrating our anniversary AND our daughter's birthday. We will return to Crystal River, but not this restaurant. I will warn all of my friends that want to visit the area, as well. Please do yourself and go to The Vintage On 5th, where the service, food and atmosphere are to die for!!

Reviewed February 26, 2014

We are in Crystal River every couple of months and eat at the Fat Cat every time. The food is consistently fantastic. I try to order something different each time, often taking advantage of the specials. Last night I had an scallop and pasta special that was so good I ate the entire thing! The appetizers and meat are great too. You really can't go wrong. The food is fresh and well presented.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Best Ahi Poke I have ever had... including the authentic stuff I had in Hawaii! After I ate it all, I was grumpy it was gone, and got irritated with my husband when he told me I could not order more. Great value for the food as well. Our waitress was a little scatter-brained, even though it did not seem to be that busy...Very nice though.

1  Thank The_Travel_Bee_9
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Don't miss this restaurant! We almost did, even though we were staying in the area for more than 3 weeks. This is a small chef/owner spot in the historic old area of Crystal River with easy parking and a comfortable simple setting . . . and superb sophisticated food that was consistently executed perfectly. The first of two appetizers that we tried and can heartily recommend is the wood fired flatbread with fresh basil, vine ripened tomatoes, and a flavorful blend of Italian cheeses. The crust was exquisitely thin and toasted perfectly. We also tried (and scarfed down) pork dumplings in a ginger, sesame oil, soy, vinegar dipping sauce -- they to were done to perfection and served in a bamboo steam basket. Since we had been eating a lot of seafood, we were attracted to some of their meat dishes -- specifically short ribs braised in wine and served with herbed polenta and baby peas and carrots, and a traditional Shepherd's Pie with ground beef and lamb and vegetables tucked under a well seasoned blanket of mashed potatoes. Both dishes were stellar. At least a dozen wines were available by the glass, with an average price of $6, and many of them from Fat Cat Cellars in Napa. The service (our server was Sharie?) was warm, attentive, informed and added significantly to what would have been a great dining experience, even if they had just handed us the food in a bag and sent us out to the parking lot. Even among the best restaurants we have enjoyed most over the past several years, it's a pretty rare event when you can say that every single bite was perfectly executed -- but that was our experience at Fat Cat Grill.

1  Thank ThriftyPosh