“Very good lunch food in a small Loud place”
Review of Highlander Cafe

Highlander Cafe
Ranked #12 of 100 Restaurants in Crystal River
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Tampa, Florida
“Very good lunch food in a small Loud place”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The food is very good for lunch.

The place is always very crowded, and very loud due to its small space. The table are very close together, and some old people likes to talk very loud(there was even one old lady have Ear Muffs on during the meal, and talks very loud - since she can not hear herself. They staff did not bother to ask her to talk in lower voice, which REALLY effected my ability to enjoy my meal.

The staff were very pleasant(it is a family run business and I think most wait staff are part of the family). The food is very fresh and tasty. Good place for Lunch, but bring your own ear muffs or ear plugs.

• Visited February 2013

Granby, Colorado
“Great Food/Service/Cafe!”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This unpretentious little cafe will steal your heart. I stopped by for tea each day while on a recent trip to Crystal River. After the first day, I decided to try their spinach and feta quiche that to my surprise, came with a lovely side salad. It was wonderfully delicious and the perfect size for me! The staff were super personable--they even remembered me and what I wanted to order each morning. I think the value is just right for the food and the company. I'd go back to Highlander Cafe in a heartbeat.

Hernando, Florida
“A touch of the old ancestral home”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

a local friend recommended that we visit this cafe while in the area and we finally got the chance to do so. We parked out front and noticed there was additional parking in the rear. We had a choice of indoor or outdoor seating and we chose indoor. We were greeted by the sounds of bagpipe music and very friendly staff. We ordered the BLT on Ciabatta bread with diet Cokes. ! came with a bag of ruffle chips and other a small side salad. All of the ingredients were fresh and together it was a delish meal. A cafe serves small quantities but make up with big quality. To finish the meal we chose a caramel shortbread bar for in house and a slice of caramel walnut cheesecake to go. Both were fabulous. The cafe and restrooms were both clean with maps of scotland andpictures of bagpipers We will be sure to return

Sarasota, Florida
“On a charming street with good food”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Just driving here, we were charmed when we turned down the street and found the Highland Cafe next to several other cute little places. We were greeted and seated by a sweet gal and our server was prompt and polite as well. We came for lunch with some friends and enjoyed the outdoor seating. I ordered the spinach and feta quiche that came with a wonderful side salad that was super delicious and my husband had the lox and bagels which was a hearty serving, fresh and tasty. Our food was excellent and the services was too. Crystal River does not have a lot of places to eat and this is one of their better establishments.

West Side, Florida
“Very Good, But Not Worthy Of A Crown”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

For a while, I noticed Highlander to be top 5 for Crystal River on tripadvisor. Curiosity got me, so I had to give them a try. It's somewhat bewildering how a restaurant that cooks virtually nothing, remains so high on the list. Well, it's because there is no competition. Granted, the Highlander utilizes some nice , high quality ingredients and a competent / clean presentation. The sandwiches (by the way, it's about all they have besides salad and soup), are tasty, but the local construction worker is likely to leave hungry. If a nice small (foo-foo) low-cal lunch is what you are after, this just may be the place. I will recommend them, and again eat there myself. But, I have to be in the mood for a light, cold sandwich and small salad for lunch, or a breakfast sandwich/bagel made exclusively with scrambled egg (remember, they don't cook much of anything to order). It's sort of a high class feel cafe', which may be some of the attraction. A good bet to entertain a guest for lunch. Clean dining room and restroom. Park in rear and a couple of tables out side on the porch. Don't sit outside if the no-see-ums are out! They close at around 4:00. Slightly above average food for the area.

• Visited April 2013