“Excellent location for holiday fun; Excellent amenities, service and staff”

Holiday Inn Express Crystal River
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Crystal River
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 7, 2010

We stayed 2 nights for vacation and for reservations to snorkel with the manatees with Birds underwater and kayak with Crystal River Kayak company. We expected these tour operators to be close by but a nice surprise was that both were only bout 1 mile away from HI Express.

The hotel is fairly new, nicely furnished, well appointed, and lots of amenities. The free breakfast was one of the best ever, including hot bacon or sausage, french toast, waffles and a decent selection of juices, cereals and muffins and bagels. We also enjoyed the 24 hour coffee and tea availability in addition to having an in room coffee maker. Cookies seemed to be available at the front desk 24 hours.

The room was elegant, with a large bathroom and plenty of room for myself and my wife. A large flat screen TV with lots of channels plus it was easy to find the TV listings on my computer for easy scanning of what was on. Perfect trouble free internet service.

It was a pleasure to stay here. Our tours were both early morning so we had time to do other things during the day like drives and walks, and find nice places to eat(There are many favorite local and chain restaurants within minutes by car) but still had time to hang out and enjoy the room and hotel.

The only disappointment for us as fitness fanatics and also a common one at almost all hotels was an inadequate fitness facility(really just a room). There were no weight machines or free weights and just a handful or less of aerobic machines - so we didn't use that facility. Probably no fans or TV either which we require to be able to use aerobic machines indoors.

All of the staff were courteous, helpful and even fun.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard M

Reviewed March 5, 2010

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express while down in Crystal River for Manatee snorkeling, and Scuba diving. Excellent room that was extremely large, nice view, and courteous staff. Very nice hotel lobby and one of the most impressive continental breakfast selections I have seen in my travels. Will stay at this hotel again next year.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank divemasterbob82
Reviewed March 2, 2010

I'm giving this hotel 5 stars. It was new, very clean, good breakfast buffet, and the staff was very friendly. We had to check out late because the manatee tour ended at 12:30 (it's about 5 minute-drive to the dive shop) and Amanda Brown worked that out for us beautifully. Thanks again, Amanda. :)

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank 8solstice
Reviewed February 27, 2010

This is great, very clean hotel. The staff was excellent from a customer service perspective. We were granted a late check-out which allowed us to return to the hotel and shower after our early morning manatee encounter. Great breakfast - above the standard fare. Nice lobby. Literally, two minutes from the Crystal River manatee dive shops. (We used Bird's Underwater.) We would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank greyhound123
Reviewed January 16, 2010

I brought my college boys and their girlfriends to swim with the Manatees. I have been to Crystal River several times and stayed in a different places each time - none very nice. Since the Holiday Inn Express is new I picked it. It has a staff of truly caring people that must love their jobs. They were very helpful and made us feel right at home. Free fresh baked cookies at check in, helped suggest restaurants and gave me extra towels. The free breakfast was better than anything I have ever had at a hotel and as good as anything I could make (and I'm a good southern cook!!!) Sweet little lady that is there during the week is the breakfast QUEEN!! Now that I think of it - it is run mainly by sweet friendly "motherly" type ladies - you go girls!!!! Rooms are great - we had the two king room with pull out couch. Clean, comfy beds Huge CLEAN bathroom. Fluffy soft towels. And the pull out was comfortable. Really nice. We were right near the elevator - very quiet! Got a great rate of $109 per night for 5 people. We got the American Pro Dive Shop rate. ,which is who we did our manatee encounter with (I use them exclusively because they are the best in town). I will stay at the Holiday Inn Express EVERY TIME I come to Crystal River!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank TheSmys5
Reviewed January 13, 2010

We have travelled to a lot of countries and stayed in many, many resorts and hotels. When someone exceeds your expectaions as much as these folks did, you should pass that word along.

Below is the note I sent to Holiday Inn head office and the hotel manager.
__________________________________________________________________

Recently we travelled by car from Ontario Canada to Crystal River to do some sightseeing and manatee viewing. After much debate with my wife, we chose to stay at a Holiday Inn, specifically the Holiday Inn Express at Crystal River Florida.
We, over the years, have travelled extensively and stayed in many hotels throughout North America and the Caribbean. We are fussy folks with high standards and traditionally stay exclusively at 4 star or better hotels. No resorts meeting our somewhat rigid standards appeared during internet searches, but our thinking was that we couldn’t go too wrong with a Holiday Inn. The last two times we have been in Crystal River we had driven there from our hotel in Orlando, and also had a very bad experience with the staff and the condition of the room at another Crystal River hotel.
What a surprise this Inn was to us! I don’t think we have ever stayed in a cleaner hotel with as pleasant a staff. I will not be able to express in words how well we feel we were treated. Our room (422) was immaculate, the beds were very comfortable and the maintenance staff (Linda) prompt and precise in their chores. She even went to the trouble to leave some half and half cream on our room when my wife mentioned (in passing) that she wasn’t keen on the powdered creamer in the room. The provided breakfast was far from what we expected. The hot food was an eye opening experience to what the Holiday Inn’s standards consist of.
As in any business, hotels and resorts are only as good as their people. If the hotel is clean and functioning properly but the staff is uncaring, then a less than pleasant stay will be had. In the case of the Holiday Inn Express in Crystal River, this is not a concern. The staff was always genuinely smiling, pleasant and helpful.
In particular there were three staff members who stood out in their commitment to customer satisfaction. One, your night clerk Youstef (?), who is no longer with you, as I understand he has moved on to join the military. The others are the day staff lady (blonde will have to suffice as I can’t recall her name) and last but certainly not least is Amanda Brown.
When we thought we had a small problem with the room’s heating system, the day staff lady was quick to respond and accommodated our needs to the letter without hesitation. Later she explained that the unit in the room was new and was just working itself into operation. This is understandable with a new hotel.
Every single day during our three day stay at the hotel Amanda did or said something that made our stay more enjoyable. She was helpful, courteous, cheery, humorous and knowledgeable. Amanda consistently made our stay at your hotel a happy and memorable experience. What a terrific employee you have there. You should be proud to have her on staff.
I am not prone to writing these types of letters, but I believe that our short interaction with your hotel should be noted and the people involved in making our stay in Crystal River commended.
Regards,
Ken & Cheryl Spragg

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Kenwork
Reviewed January 10, 2010

I went to Crystal River to swim with the manatees. There are several OLD places to stay on the river...BUT DON'T! Seriously...don't do it. The dive shops and tour operators want you to stay at the waterfront hotels because they work out of their docks, and it is job security. They will tell you that the Holiday Inn is too far away. NOT TRUE. It's a small town. Everything is so close. This hotel is excellent. Super clean, wonderful staff, great free hot breakfast., very affordable. Great experience. ALSO...if you are going to swim with the manatess...hire Catain Traci Wood [--], she has the best attitude and personallity. So...there are 2 pieces of advise that will serve you well. You will be very happy with these.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Holiday Inn Express Inverness
The Port Hotel and Marina
The Port Hotel and Marina
#7 of 9 in Crystal River

Been to Holiday Inn Express Crystal River? Share your experiences!