“Much more than I expected”

Holiday Inn Express Crystal River
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Crystal River
GreenLeadersSilver level
Gilbert, Arizona
“Much more than I expected”
Reviewed February 10, 2012

When you're looking at the few hotels in a small town, you can be a little nervous about what you are going to find when you get there. Well, if you're heading to the Holiday Inn Express in Crystal River, you can relax! Nice, well updated facility, with a great friendly staff. When I checked in, they asked what brought me to Crystal River and when they realized that I had an activity booked with one of their partners, they immediately gave me the discount even though I didn't know about it, which was great. There were three groups of us that were going on a 6:15 am manatee tour and even though the complimentary breakfast didn't officially start until 6:30, they opened up at 5:45 so we could eat before heading out. I certainly didn't expect that and it was a nice surprise.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Rock Island, Tennessee
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Stayed at this Holiday Inn Express on a business trip this week. Never had any issues myself, but noticed something that effected others and brought it to management's attention. They were most responsive and followed up immediately, even though it occured late one evening. The rooms are very clean, nicely decorated, and large. Breakfast was a nice start to a morning. Would definitely return if coming back on business or pleasure. Arshad, the General Manager, and Imran, at the front desk, went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable!! Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Pleasant stay. This hotel is nice and clean, with serveral amenities that I have not seen in other Holiday Inn Express hotels. The staff were very nice and helpful and the breakfast buffet was excellent for a quick hot breakfast. The bathrooms were large, with nice vanity and cabinets. I was leary of staying here due to previous stay at another hotel in the area, but the Holiday Inn Express exceeded by expectations. This will definintely be my choice when in the area!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Elkhart, IL
Reviewed February 4, 2012

We drove here specifically to 'swim with the manatees'. This is the nicest hotel around, and the staff was incredibly friendly and efficient. It's a newer hotel, which is always nice. No complaints at all. That 'swimming with the manatees' was a real hoot, even though the weather did not cooperate--but the manatees did. I used Adventure Dive, and I thought they did a good job for the approximately $50 it cost me. I can see that if there had been MORE swimmers out that day---it would have been LESS fun, so I think in many ways the bad weather WAS a benefit.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Panama City, Florida
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Stay here was based on a manatee tour taken through American Pro Diving in Crystal River. As part of the tour, a discount coupon that included a late checkout was provided. The standard rates were a little high, but the coupon provided a $30 discount making it very attractive. The warm cookies at check-in are always welcome!

Location is just off US 19/98, the property appears to be recently built.

Stayed in a standard room offering 2 queen beds, good sized flat screen TV, microwave and small fridge. Room was very clean and comfortable. Minor complaint was that when the room had been cleaned, a rather strong scented deodorizer smell was very noticeable.

Despite having 4 floors, only one ice machine is on property and that is next to the front desk on the first floor. Guest coin laundry machines are available on the floors. Hot breakfast bar was available from 6:30 - 10A.

Parking area offers additional space for RVs and trailers.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 24, 2012

This hotel has pretty much reached perfection. I simply can not say enough about how great our stay was and I am a pretty tough sell! Let me just list it out for you:

VERY friendly staff- every single person recalled us by name and asked how our stay was and how we were enjoying the events we had planned. Everyone was very knowledgeable about the area and the local attractions.

Discount for a manatee swim through River Ventures (a MUST DO) I believe it was 10 percent off our stay

Comfortable beds, spacious room and bathroom, lots of outlets and most importantly, it was one of the cleanest hotels I have ever been in. All the common areas are even kept immaculate. In the dining area, someone is always wiping off tables and making sure clean utensils are available.

Breakfast buffet that can actually call itself a buffet FREE OF CHARGE! There was a large choice of bagels, eggs, sausage gravy and biscuits, bacon, sausage, cereal, fruit, toast, coffee, hot chocolate, several juices and others I forget. A real honest to goodness continental breakfast still exists here. And to top it all off, we had a 6am manatee tour and this buffet was set up and ready to go in plenty of time for us to eat before we had to leave.

Late checkout is available for priority club members (free to join) which allowed us plenty of time to shower after our manatee swim before we had to check out.

I don't mean to sound snarky but as someone who is devoted to the Doubletree, I did not expect our stay at a Holiday Inn to be this outstanding. I will now consider the Holiday Inn when booking future vacations thanks to the wonderful experience we had at this location!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Erica S
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed January 22, 2012

We spent Friday and Saturday nights at this Holiday Inn Express on a visit from Atlanta to swim with the manatees. We arrived at nearly midnight on Friday night after a long drive from Atlanta. Our rooms were ready,clean and quiet. Breakfast the next morning was good with choices of boiled eggs, waffles, etc. This morning's breakfast included scrambled eggs, bacon, toast and of course cereal and yogurt. The coffee drinkers didn't complain. The hotel is conveniently located, very clean and perfect for our stay althought the mattresses are a bit firm for me. Overall, a very nice place and we would stay there again.

Room Tip: We were away from the elevators, but near an ice machine. While we had no problems with ice machin...