“A Great Day of Kayaking on the Wakulla river”

TNT Hideaway Day Tours
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Our party of 6 consisted of 3 couples and we chose 2 individual kayaks and 2 tandem kayaks with the tandems reserved for those with limited or no kayak experience. Our guide Robbie, proved to be knowledgeable, competent, and personable. We saw literally scores of turtles, many ospreys, ibises, egrets, kingfishers, cormorants, and anhingas and had a delightful and satisfying trip down the Wakulla River. Due to our guide Robbie's in-depth knowledge of the river, he led us to a shallow inlet over a small spring which proved to be the resting spot for 6 manatees. We were able to be in the presence of these fascinating creatures for 15-20 minutes without disturbing them. It was the highlight of a trip which was already quite memorable. This was our second experience with TNT Hideaway tours and each has been a satisfying exposure to the wonders of the Wakulla River and its varied flora and fauna. We plan to repeat this trip in future years and are eager to share it with other friends and family.

2  Thank John E

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Each year the scouts from our Tallahassee based troop come with a list of monthly outings that they would like to engage in for the following year. This year a kayaking trip was chosen and we decided to use TNT Hideaway and stay close to home given the lack of experience of the majority of our paddlers. I was a bit worried as the number of scouts increased each week leading up to the event. In the end we had 32 scouts / leaders and TNT was able to easily accommodate us. The boats were clean and ready and the trip went off without a hitch.

1  Thank Greg B
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I recently had a very disturbing experience with these people.

We called several weeks in advance and reserved 10 sit on top kayaks for use with a girl scout outting. I personally spoke with Jackie and had to repeat to her several times that we wanted 10 sit on top kayaks.

A few days before the outting I stopped by the shop and spoke to a young woman who said that the reservation was on the books, but no specific boats had been assigned to our group - despite the fact that I had previously specifically reserved 10 sit on top kayaks!!!!

On the day of the outting we discovered that someone else had reserved some kayaks and apparently some of our sit on top kayaks were re-assigned to this other group - NOT COOL!! When I insisted that we have the 10 sit on top kayaks that we reserved, Jackie was called & soon arrived at the shop. She was nothing but nasty - which was not appropriate especially in front of the young girl scouts. She claimed that we waited until the last minute to reserve the kayaks - not true. She eventually gave us the 10 sit on top kayaks we reserved, but was extremely nasty about the whole thing and told us we would be charged extra!!!

This outfit is not professional, not organized, and was clearly out of line. They waited until we arrived and then tried to shove kayaks we did not reserve down our throats. My advice, find another outfitter to rent kayaks from and save yourself a lot of unnecessary hassle. Jackie is clearly not a good role model for children.

6  Thank grandcanyonhiker
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Great day trip for the family. We encountered several manatees, turtles, and birds. The staff was extremely rude and unprofessional to me and others we observed. The young man who launched / retrieved the canoes & kayaks was very nice and helpful. The brief encounter did not ruin our day, but I don't think I would recommend this place to anyone.

5  Thank Nthomas177
Reviewed August 3, 2012

My husband and I ran down here for a mini vacation. We stayed at the Wakulla Lodge overnight and the following day went to TNT Hideaway's location on the springs. Since we arrived first thing in the morning and no one else was present, the employee gave us a quick check-off on how to use kayaks, our first time, and then we set-off down the springs on a guided tour. On the trip, we saw alligators, tons of birds, two manatee and the waters are absolutely beautiful - crystal clear. It was wonderful! We are already planning on a return trip.

I have read the other reviews concerning the attitudes of the employees but, we found the guide, a young man, to be very nice and considerate.

I also didn't find the prices to be any different than those of the canoe and kayak rentals in Port St. Joe, Florida. To us the prices were very reasonable - the equipment is in great condition and the location is perfect.