“Dining with the fishermen”
Review of Cortez Kitchen

Cortez Kitchen
Ranked #8 of 12 Restaurants in Cortez
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed January 14, 2018

This funky little restaurant is a great place to come in good weather, but you are basically sitting outside so avoid it on a cold day. It is fun to sit here and watch the boats come in and crates of seafood being moved about. You feel you are part of a fisherman's life. We had the fried shrimp this visit. Our sides included good grits with cheese, yummy fried okra and a mediocre dish of macaroni and cheese. Happy hour here is a hit with the locals, who all arrive at 4 p.m. to partake of beer, wine and well drinks. This place is Old Florida at its best.

Date of visit: January 2018
Write a reviewReviews (500)

Reviewed January 1, 2018

We decided to try this place again, as we hadn't been here in a few years, (not because it was a horrible experience the 1st time, it was because we never thought about it). Anyway, I got the stuffed blue crab shells and my husband got a steamer meal. And they both were amazingly delicious. Best stuff crab shell I ever had. My husband was almost upset that he was too full to continue eating. Give this place a shot. It's pretty much an outdoor restaurant but has tarps they pull down when it's chilly. I can not wait to go back now and eat more stuffed crab shells....

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed December 30, 2017 via mobile

Great seafood and cool atmosphere. A big menu but I always get the grouper sandwich. It can get busy during season!

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed December 10, 2017 via mobile

We'd dined here a few years ago. It's changed since our last visit. It's an active working seafood area with palettes of Fish Bait stacked up waiting to be loaded into trucks or in the freezer area near the restaurant. Be prepared for the smells that come with this fact. The clam chowder was tasty with loads of clams and potatoes. Being stone crab season, we enjoyed a dinner serving with fried okra and hush puppies that were average. The server informed us that it has not been a good crabbing season so far.our next stop was Star Fish Company just up the street. Much better view of the waterways than watching the Fish Bait loading activities.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed November 19, 2017 via mobile

I have actually eaten here many times and never noticed the smoking but we went to eat there yesterday with our 2 young children and several parties were smoking. One person lit up right next to our infant. We actually ended up leaving before we even had the food this time as a result. I have eaten it before, it was average but we returned because I like the setting... no more. They operate more like a bar. I don’t want to damage my lungs or my child’s over a grouper sandwich which can eaten elsewhere.

Date of visit: November 2017