“Go to Star Fish Market until Robert Irvine visits here”
Review of Cortez Kitchen

Cortez Kitchen
Ranked #7 of 12 Restaurants in Cortez
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
“Go to Star Fish Market until Robert Irvine visits here”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

If you're planning to drink, chain smoke and listen to awful music, this is the place for you. If you're interested in fresh Gulf seafood and a view, you'll want to head over to the Star Fish Company - www.starfishcompany.com. (Trust me. I'm a Florida native and resident of AMI. I know good seafood.) For the first time in my life, I sent a dish back to the kitchen; I'm not one of "those people" who makes a habit of returning food. Frozen french fries, undercooked (frozen?) scallops with an odd coating and doughy hushpuppies were but a few of the issues. When I complained of the undercooked scallops, they were taken back to the kitchen and re-fried. WHAT? (This should tell you all you need to know about the service.) I finally sent the $16.50 greasy mess back to the kitchen and sipped water while my family finished their sub-par meals. When a restaurant is located in the historic Cortez Fishing Village, there is absolutely no excuse for sub-standard seafood. When you're on vacation, there's no need to waste your money here.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Flnative1971

Los Angeles, California
“dockside dining”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Fresh seafood; average flavors. I love these types of places. It's a hole in the wall at the end of a dock. Nothing fancy, most of the seafood is fresh. Had the smoked mullet - excellent. Swordfish, perfect....grilled, with a slice of lemon and 2 sides for $12. Can't go wrong with that. The seafood market across the parking lot has excellent local fish and shellfish. Hogfish, grouper, cobia all fresh when we were there. Hogfish!!! I love it. Very friendly folks running the market as well. Gave me all the ice I needed to get the fish back to Orlando. I'd go again were I in the area.

• Visited August 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Thought Star fish co was better”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We went for an early dinner. The restaurant was at the dock which was a nice experience. The man behind the bar was really rude. Other guest tried to scoot two tables together and he yelled at them.

The seafood was average. My party had fish and chips, snapper, and shrimp, Everyone thought the shrimp was the best of the seafood but that the star fish co which is near was much better and cheaper. The non-seafood option was a chicken sandwich which was average at best and a hotdog which was terrible. It was inedible but the server did not care. We would not return to this restaurant.

• Visited July 2013
Richmond, Virginia
“Great Dive!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We pulled up and I was skeptical, but my husband had been here before with friends and swore It was a great place to eat...turns out, it was! it definitely is a dive, but they have great reasonably priced food and great service. I'm not much of a seafood eater, so I had chicken tenders...but my husband ordered the $20 seafood platter and loved it. I definitely recommend this place...right on the water...but definitely a dive!

• Visited July 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic bar, cheap good drinks, wonderful live music”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We spent a Sunday afternoon and into early evening here just drinking and listening and watching the most amazing band. Its not our first visit and won't be our last.

Visited May 2013

Been to Cortez Kitchen? Share your experiences!