“Excellent Food and Value”

Medellin Restaurant
Ranked #38 of 309 Restaurants in Coral Springs
Cuisines: Colombian
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Medellin is a family run and operated restaurant that serves excellent authentic Colombian food. The preparation is top notch as well is the staff. It is a small place but we have never had to wait. They serve beer and wine and the prices are very good. There should be hype about Medellin since it is one of the best restaurants in town. It site behind Dunkin Donuts at the NW corner of 441 and Wiles Rd. It is a must try for everyone and we will be back as we have already 4 times.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

This restaurant has gotten a lot of excellent reviews. I can sort of see why. The wait staff is very pleasant. The portions are big. The problem is that the food really isn't very good. It is not terrible, but there is nothing special about it, so I don't understand the hype. To put my cards on the table, I really don't know anything about Colombian food, but I have lived in various places in Latin America (Mexico, Venezuela, Peru), and I have liked the food in each. This food seemed like a bland version of Cuban food. (I do like Cuban food--quite a lot.) I ate their signature dish, the bandeja. It consisted of a very thin but remarkably tough minute steak, a chorizo that was nowhere as good as Mexican chorizo, bland red beans, white rice, a fried egg (delicious: I like fried eggs) and some fried mature plantains (maduros), also good. Another person in my party had an appetizer plate. Lots of not very tasty fried foods. Again, nothing special, nothing really delicious.

Is it that Medellin cooks Colombian food badly? Probably not. My suspicion is that Colombian food is just not that great in comparison with other Latin American cuisines. I have started adding some comparators to my reviews. If I don't like this food, what would I suggest for Latin American food that isn't Mexican in this area? My suggestion would be Little Havana Restaurant on Federal Highway. From a very downscale perspective, I would recommend a Peruvian grilled chicken chain called La Granja Parrilla, now serving lots of lower end seafood, or La Bamba for Mexican.

1  Thank Peter C
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

I have never written a review before but we've been going to Medellin since it opened and felt it deserved public recognition. It's hard to find but worth the effort. It's family owned and operated. We always have great service and the food is excellent and reasonably priced. I specially recommend, the empanadas, any of their fish with the coconut rice, the pollo boracho(drunken chicken), the paella(not in the menu) and the Tres Leches(Colombian style). Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Hidden in the back tier of a small shopping strip at the NW corner of SR7 and Wiles Rd., who knew that this little gem has been there for 3 years. This is a family-run, small, neat and clean establishment. There is a small bar, where they serve beer and wine, and about 15 tables. The decor is very simple, with some large prints by Botero, a Colombian artist from Medellin who specializes in whimsical portraits of stocky people.

Although we were unfamiliar with Colombian food, we could tell that it must be authentic when we had some brief conversation with our waiter, a young man who seems to be the family member who works the front of the house while others are in the back doing the cooking. Most of the entrees are in the $10 to $12 range, and there are several less expensive appetizers or tapas to choose from. Most of the dishes are highly-seasoned chicken, pork, or fish, with sides of rice, red beans, and plantains. My wife, and most of our friends who have dined at Medellin, loved the food. I wasn't crazy about it, although I could tell that the cooking involved excellent ingredients, loving attention to detail, and was, no doubt, true to the cuisine of Colombia. And, the portions were generous.

So, if you want good-sized portions of authentic Colombian food at a very reasonable price, in a pleasant and clean restaurant, with friendly and attentive service, then Medellin is the place for you.

1  Thank Stephen S
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We ate here for the first time in Jan. 2011during a visit to FL and look forward to a return this year. We once again had a great meal. The staff is very pleasant. The seating had been improved with pillows on the bench seats which greatly increased comfort. Nice wine selection, generous per glass pour. The restaurant is located just off of U.S. 7 in a typical FL mall but the food is anything but typical. The food is very tasty, nicely presented. The ambiance is well, lacking but I much prefer good food to great atmosphere.