“Slamming Door Design Flaw/ Unprofessional Housekeeping”

Fort Lauderdale Marriott Coral Springs Hotel, Golf Club & Convention Center
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Coral Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Slamming Door Design Flaw/ Unprofessional Housekeeping”
Reviewed June 9, 2008

Couldn't wait to leave! I was there for a week long seminar - the same week as Cruisedave. The view from the room was spectacular. Walmart is about 1 mile away if you forget anything.

The noise was unbearable. The noise was from the slamming doors, which 2 other reviewers noted the door design flaw. The hotel is aware of this because there is a sign next to the elevator stating the hotel observes "quiet hours" and to not slam the door. Other noise was from the housekeeping staff yelling to each other, just plain old singing at the top of their lungs, and watching tv while cleaning. The atrium noise was not a factor because of the room's location.

A USA Today was delivered with a sticker stating that a daily fee would be added to the bill if the front desk was not notified of your request to decline the paper. Despite the request to decline to receive and be charged for a paper I wouldn't read, the paper arrived every morning. I had to have the charge removed from the bill.

The pool & spa were in a bit of disrepair. The spa was closed for 2 days being shocked. You could smell the chemicals.

Bring your own earbuds/headphones, if you want to workout on your own schedule. Complimentary earbuds were put out early in the morning and the staff put them away at 8:30 am. Some of the workout equipment didn't work.

The food at the restaurant was very good, but not much atmosphere. I found myself driving down University every night to eat, walk around, and trying to entertain myself. If I was golfer I would have enjoyed myself more, but still not have gotten a good nights sleep.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Noise and remoteness
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Hebrew first
new york
Reviewed May 19, 2008

I was attending a party at this hotel - upon check-in I didn't receive the usual greeting, but was summoned to the desk. I was checked in by a woman who never looked at me - she placed the room cards on the desk and said the elevator was behind me.

The room door was broken - you had to slam it to shut it. I reported this to housekeeping since I would be coming back to my room late at night and didn't want to slam the door. During my 4 day stay, the door was never tended to!

When leaving, there were 2 bottles of capped water (each $3) on the desk. I checked out at the front desk and paid the bill in full. A few days later I saw the $6 charge for the water on my credit card bill. I promptly called the hotel and they said the water wasn't there when the maid checked the room. Well, it was there when I left, so either the maid stole it or someone else came into the room and desperately needed the water. I was told they would "let it slide" this time - so basically, they called me a liar and thief, but would let me get away with it! Talk about discretion. I would NEVER stay at this place again. Unfriendly front desk personnel, incompetent office staff as well.

• Liked — Not much
  • Disliked — Unfriendly and incompetent personnel
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
new york
Reviewed May 15, 2008

My stay at this hotel was less than average. I stay at Marriotts consistently and have never had a problem. This hotel breaks the string of good luck I've had.

Upon check-in, I was not greeted by the usual friendly staff - I was summoned with a wave by an attendant who never looked at me. She had her head stuck in the computer and then placed my keys on the desk and told me my room number.

When entering my room I was surprised to find a gray (large) stain on my bedsheets and one on the floor directly under the one on the sheets. Made me wonder if they changed the sheets. The furniture was badly worn.

The restaurant for breakfast was sufficient.

When I returned home I received a call that I would be charged for 2 bottles of water which were in the room, untouched by me, upon arrival and when I checked out. I informed the employee that I didn't use the bottled water. They said they were charging me $3 for each bottle. I'm sure some dishonest employee entered the room after I checked out and took the bottles - unless I was being charged in error. I will never know.

The outdoor pool area was littered with used towels - no swimmers were there - the pool tiles were badly chipped or missing. Easy to produce a wound on your foot when entering the pool or possibly grabbing onto the side.

I would not recommend this hotel as I feel there may be either theives going into the room to remove items that the occupant is expected to pay for, or incompetent record keepers.

• Liked — Nothing stands out
  • Disliked — Dishonesty and unfriendliness
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank bussinessgirl
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed April 19, 2008

Stayed here for a week prior to my wedding. Had all of my family staying as well along with dozens of other guests.

The staff was so nice and accomodating. They did there best to put people close together and those with small children with connecting rooms. Even at late hours (past midnight) the clerk put small refrigerators in several rooms. They had onsite laundry which was helpful (though a bit pricey).

The rooms are all clean and the beds were very comfortable. The A/C in some of the rooms did not seem to be as cold as needed as we were there in June. The lobby is nice and open. The outdoor pool is clean. There is a golf course as part of the hotel though I did not use it.

Ample parking overall. It is a bit of a drive to Ft. Lauderdale and Miami but if staying more local then it is not a problem. Very safe area overall and near the highway.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — A/C
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2008

I just returned from a week stay at the Coral Springs Marriott Hotel, Golf Club and Convention Center. I've read some bad reviews on here and I have to admit, I've stayed there in the past and had issues with noise but this stay was very nice. I learned from past experience not to stay in the Atrium area. The Atrium can get loud at times so when I checked in, I requested a room not in the atrium. This made all the difference. It was a nice quiet stay.

The only issue I have is not with the hotel but with parents who let their kids run around the hallways and play in the elevators. I saw two kids throwing ice from the 7th floor down to the bar area in the atrium. Regardless of that, this is by far the best hotel in Coral Springs. I used to live in the area and I'm very familiar with what is available. And just as a side note, I was going to stay at the Courtyard Marriott in Coral Springs but after checking in, I checked right out and moved to this hotel. The rooms in the Courtyard were worn and old and like being in a hospital room. I ready some good reviews on that hotel on here but I don't get it.

For anyone staying in Coral Springs, I think you'll be fine here. And just know this hotel is not near the beach and is more in a residential area. Which I knew and was what I wanted since all my old friends live in that area.

Stayed February 2008
Chicago
Reviewed February 2, 2008

As long as you do not go expecting anything spectacular, you will not be disappointed. Unfortunately, when we heard the name of the hotel and saw the price we had to pay for the rooms each night, we were truly expecting a more upgraded and nicer room.

However, he upkeep of the hotel was good. The majority of the staff were friendly and helpful when we asked questions. The beds slept well.

My only complaint is that if you are on the 2nd floor in the room we had (214), the view of the roof and the big, silver mechanical equipment was not appealing at all so we ended up keeping the curtains closed and missed out on the sunlight. It would be great if any guest assigned to these rooms received a discounted rate.

• Liked — The beds were quite comfortable
  • Disliked — The price and lack of a view from our window.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank BGZ
Florida
Reviewed January 27, 2008

We are Mariott Silver members; and always stay at Mariotts so we can earn points for vacation stays. In Early Dec. 2007, we had a meeting at the Coral Springs Mariott resort, so booked a room for our stay. The room was $159 per night.
When we checked in, around 4 pm, there was a dirty room service tray outside our door, The room was cleaned, but somehow the breakfast room service tray outside the door hadn't been cleared away. I called the front desk, and requested this be taken care of. We left for dinner, and returned at 6:30, the tray was still there, very unappetizing, with old food from many hours before. I called the number for the manager on duty, and got a voicemail, and left a message, again, no response. I called the desk again at 7:00, and we left for the meeting. Sometime that evening the tray was removed. Hallelullah!
After our meeting, we got to bed around ten. We couldn't get to sleep, because there was a loud bachelor party in the lounge below in the atrium. With the design of the hotel, the atrium is below all the rooms. We finally called the desk at 11:00 because the noise was so bad it sounded like someone was being assaulted! The front desk person said..."we have asked them to keep it down, as we have gotten other complaints"....Finally at about 11:45 the pandemonium stopped. There were actually people screaming and clapping!
When we checked out, I told the front desk person about my experience, and we got a half hearted appology, but no adjustment to our bill.
I called Mariott customer service, and told them of my experience. They said within 2 days I would hear from the hotel management. It's been 2 months, and no call!!! Stay away!!! This resort doesn't deserve to be a Mariott!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poor management
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale Marriott North
Fort Lauderdale Marriott North
#19 of 128 in Fort Lauderdale
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale/West-Sawgrass/Tamarac

Been to Fort Lauderdale Marriott Coral Springs Hotel, Golf Club & Convention Center? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Fort Lauderdale Marriott Coral Springs Hotel, Golf Club & Convention Center

Property: Fort Lauderdale Marriott Coral Springs Hotel, Golf Club & Convention Center
Address: 11775 Heron Bay Blvd, Coral Springs, FL 33076-1941 (Formerly Coral Springs Marriott Hotel, Golf Club and Convention Center)
Location: United States > Florida > Broward County > Coral Springs
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Restaurant Room Service Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Coral Springs
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Fort Lauderdale Marriott Coral Springs Hotel, Golf Club & Convention Center 3.5*
Discover the spectacular Fort Lauderdale Marriott Coral Springs Hotel, Golf Club and Convention Center; a proud member of the Florida Green Lodging Program, our hotel is within minutes of everything you need for a weekend gateway, golf retreat, wedding or meeting. A golfer's paradise, our Coral Springs hotel features an on-site world-class course, Golf Academy and lighted driving range. With fine and festive dining, shopping, beaches, spas and casinos all just minutes away, escape to a tropical paradise where you can have it all. Enjoy walking and biking trails, and airboat rides through the Florida Everglades. As the official Coral Springs hotel of the NHL's Florida Panthers spend an evening at a hockey game, world-class concert or event at the Bank of Atlantic Center. This Coral Springs hotel's convention space measures close to 18,000 sq ft to complement our 224 guest rooms and suites, making it an ideal location for your next meeting or social occasion. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Fort Lauderdale Marriott Coral Springs Hotel, Golf Club & Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Coral Springs Marriott Hotel, Golf Club Hotel Coral Springs