“Creative Genius with a wonderful atmosphere”
Review of Yuga Restaurant

Yuga Restaurant
Ranked #62 of 370 Restaurants in Coral Gables
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Going to Yuga is like going home. Everything and everyone is wonderful and accomodating. Chef (Owner) Johnson Teh and his wife Kazu will impress you with their creative and delicious talents. We have enjoyed dinners there and at their other restaurant, Lan Pan Asia, for years.

If you want delicious, creative asian food, Yuga and Lan Pan Asia are exciting.

1  Thank Edmund438

Reviewed July 1, 2012

Fast and great food. Had the beef curry lunch special- came with soup, salad and California roll.

Reviewed February 27, 2012

The place is in Coral Gables not a big location but the food is good. The place never disappoints in its spin on the Thai or Japanese take on food in creativity. I had the pork spring rolls that were nice & crispy not greasy as in some places. The kimchee steak was good but portion was little small. My partner had the Duck Curry which was very good but not too much sauce was served with it like other Thai Curries that I have had but the taste was very good.

1  Thank lynus
Reviewed January 29, 2012

The atmosphere is pretty industrial but the food--Asian fusion is extremely good and the menu innovative. The owner hosts are gracious and the prices very affordable indeed. Between us we had a very fine shrimp dish with lemongrass, an interesting curry, blendind Indian and Thai flavors and an excellent fish. They also have very good appetizers. One of the best values in Coral Gables. They only accept reservations for parties over five.

1  Thank fiu222
Reviewed January 20, 2012

I'm a sushi lover and we had a coupon from restaurant.com to try out this barely new place in Coral Gables. The location is not seen from the main street, it's almost hidden.

You must park using the meters on the street, didn't have trouble with that since Alcazar street is pretty quiet. Take change so you can pay the meters.

There was no wait to seat down but there was a bit wait for a server to help you. We wait about 10-15 minutes for our server but we were not rushing, place was full. My wife and I liked the way Yuga looked, almost like a modern-looking sushi place but looks like a fast food place.

The greeter lady seemed very nice and so as the server so that kind of paid off for the wait, I only noticed 2 servers for the whole place.

We ordered the Crispy Pinenut Snapper which brings 3 nice size filets in top of a saffron-soba broth and topped with like sweet patatoes strings. It was served in a big deep bowl and the tasty was very different and I really enjoyed it. Fish seemed fresh.

For sushi we ordered "Mystery Roll" which is another name for volcano roll and the "Dragon Roll". The mystery roll is california rolls topped with the seafood mix, it was good but not my best. Rolls were small and seafood mix was a bit cold.

The Dragon Roll was pretty good, rice was a bit cold which makes the sushi experience not as good but it was tasty. I like when the rice feels fresh and not cold, room temperature is better.

Dessert was my wife's favorite part of the dinner, we ordered "Banana Cheesecake Tempura". It was like fried wontons with banana and cheesecake inside topped with sugar powder and caramel. Delicious is the word to best describe it

So yes some rolls are cheap compared to many sushi places, the big plates are shareable but rolls are small sized.

Go and try it, its a nice quiet spot in Coral Gables.