“Positive experience overcame initial hesitation” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Miami Coral Gables

Courtyard Miami Coral Gables
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Coral Gables
California
“Positive experience overcame initial hesitation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2007

Initially we were nervous after being booked at this hotel through a bid on Priceline. However after talking with the manager we were assured it would be OK.

We stayed on a newly renovated floor with an elegantly appointed room
containing a king bed, sitting area and long desk area. The TV was standard but apparently they were close to being replaced with flat-panel ones. The bathroom was decently renovated, but a bit small. Some of the fixtures were still due to be replaced.

While there was temporarily no late-night room service available due to the renovations, the front desk provide takeout menus and we were able to order in from a restaurant. I noticed the hotel manager himself was driving late travellers from American Airlines out to a nice restaurant.

While the common areas of the hotel were still being worked on I think the final product should look very nice and I wouldn't hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

Stayed January 2007
1 Thank ajsa4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Turkish first
Bermuda
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2007

Put up here for one night by American Airlines after some randomly cancelled flights and etc. My room on the 5th floor was obviously newly renovated and was spotless and comfortable. Microwave, fridge and coffee maker in the room. Brand new bathroom. The heating/air conditioning unit had not been replaced however and was a bit rickety and noisy. Renovations are obviously still ongoing as I saw a few workmen about the place, but I wasn't disturbed by any noise.
The pool area looked nice and was clean. Disregard the guest info book in the room. The menu and services stated are not all available. There was no room service available and I was given a very limited menu to order from (a few sandwiches, chicken wings etc.). A continental breakfast (breads, yogurt, fruit, cereal) buffet was available and a menu of hot items. They were served by one friendly and overwhelmed young waitress. I felt like jumping up and giving the poor girl a hand. Free shuttle to the airport is nice but it does only run once an hour on the hour. The next time the airline abandons me in Miami I'd stay again.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — limited food service
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank buddha1
Minneapolis, MN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2006

American Airlines put us up at this hotel for a night. They do have a pool on the second floor, but the rest of the floor is completely torn up. We stayed on the 4th floor and the carpet and furniture was brand new, but the bed covers looked like they have been there for months straight without ever being washed. The actual fabric curtains were missing and the toilet paper roll in the bathroom kept flying off every time we tried using it. While it looked like the tub was washed, it may not have been a bad idea to replace that alltogether as well. Oh, and the 1980's alarm clock-radio also needs to go.
The front desk staff was very friendly and we had the room immediately. Good location too, for shopping. I guess it served the purpose for a missed flight, but I would not recommend it as a place to stay otherwise, not until all of the redecorating is done.

• Liked — The new carpet
  • Disliked — Still smelled like stale paint
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't use the pop machines, they are most likely out of order, but the sign is lost.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
Nebraska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2006

American Airlines offered this hotel to me as a token of their generousity for having missed my flight to Jamaica. This hotel should not be open. They are currently under renovation. Upon checking into this hotel, they informed me their dining room is closed for dinner and therefore will have to use my $10 voucher in their "Gourmet Pantry" as they put it. This pantry contains stale sandwiches, rotten fruit and lukewarm soda. Hardly a meal you can enjoy after a long day at the airport, compliments of American Airlines.

My room, 215, was horrible. Their was a loud banging outside my sliding glass door for about an hour. The wallpaper was missing around my toilet. There was standing water in my tub. Rust in my light fixture in the bathroom. Exposed drywall surrounding my bathroom sink where the floorboards should be. My light fixture had dust bunnies hanging from the lamp shade that made their way onto the lamp fixture. The carpet stuck to my socks and shoes. My bedspread was ripped. Not to mention the smell of dirty socks throughout my room.

I went to get ice, as my drink from their "Gourmet Pantry" was lukewarm. The ice machine on my floor wasn't working. I went to the front desk and the attendant told me to go to the third floor. When the elevator to the third floor opened, there stood an old toilet in the hallway, amongst other items of debris. I went to the fourth floor and there was an ice machine that was hardly working. I filled my ice bucket with about 10 cubes of ice, as that is all it could produce.

As for getting a good night's sleep here, you won't. The bed poked me in the ribs from the buttons on the mattress. You are also on the flight pattern to the airport. The cleanliness of the room is a huge issue. I slept with towels on my pillows as I feared they were not washed in months.

As for using their room telephones, you will have to pay a $50 deposit or use the pay telephones in their lobby. Where the telephones were located, the wallpaper was peeling and the wallpaper was waterstained.

The shuttle is the only nice thing about this hotel, but you will have to wait as it comes on the hour.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — The whole experience was a nightmare.
  • Tips/Secrets — Skip this hotel until their renovations are completed. They are becoming a Courtyard by Marriott.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank Heretodaygonetomaui
New Jersy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2006

After I booked this hotel through Priceline, I had serious doubts after reading the other reviews. After fighting w/ Priceline, but to no avail, I faxed the hotel a letter. The management/staff was very polite and helpful. There were some ok parts of the hotel. They are actually renovating, so I believe that this will be a beautiful hotel in the next couple of months. The hotel at this time is beautiful, but old. The fourth floor is the newest floor and quite modern like the other Courtyards. It is very nice and the stay was comfortable. I don't know the conditions of the other floors, but the 4th floor was great! It may cost a little more, but stay on the fourth floor. No rhyme intended. I did not eat at the restaurant the hotel, but take a walk down the miracle mile, awesome! I am sure that you will find a restaurant to your liking.

• Liked — The management/staff
  • Disliked — The pool area
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay on the fourth floor, may cost you a bit more, but well worth it!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank scurryalong32
Cheltenham, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2006

We were stuck in this hell hole when our American Airlines flight to Mexico got cancelled.

The only good thing I can think of about this place was the free shuttle service to and from the hotel. At least the shuttle driver could muster a smile and some chat, unlike the staff at the hotel!

The hotel is under renovation apparently, and boy does it need it. We were put in possibly the worst hotel room I have ever come across, the whole room smelt of damp, the carpets were filthy and pungent, the paint was peeling off the walls, probably from the smell of the carpets, the bathroom tiles were half ripped up and the shower looked like it hadn't been cleaned since the hotel had opened.

The food on offer for dinner was basic, but then we weren't paying for it as AA had given us vouchers ($20 between 2 people when the main courses were a mininimum of $20! How crazy is that!)

The person who showed us to our seats in the restaurant didn't even look at us or hand the menus to us, he simply threw them on the table and walked off.

This was an unexpected stop in Miami and my first, and based on this experience, it does not leave me wanting to return.

Common courtesy does not cost anything, rudeness can cost your business

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nham
TX
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2006

Airline put us up in this dump for 1 night due to missed connection- this is in fact the worst motel i've stayed in with horrible service to match. I believe Holiday Inn did pull the plug on them- it's no longer a Holiday Inn. I'm guessing city of Miami should be next to shut them down.

• Stayed July 2006
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coral Gables
Hyatt Regency Coral Gables
#2 of 11 in Coral Gables
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,255 reviews
Coconut Grove
Hampton By Hilton Miami-Coconut Grove/Coral Gables

Been to Courtyard Miami Coral Gables? Share your experiences!