WINNER WONDERLAND

“Great food, intimate place, a must try in the Gables.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cafe Vialetto

Cafe Vialetto
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Vialetto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 325 Restaurants in Coral Gables
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Florida
“Great food, intimate place, a must try in the Gables.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Cafe Vialetto is located in the centre of Coral Gables. Talking about location, the restaurant is on Le Jeune Rd., however when we drove by, we couldn't see the entrance, or a parking lot. We then drove around the building and came in from the back, through a narrow alley. Not a big thing, but strange and just so you know, go straight in the back. You get to this small house where there is the luckiest valet ever: he takes your car and park it 10 feet away in the small lot. Valet is complimentary so no complaint.

As soon as we walked inside, we were greeted by the young hostess. We had a reservation via OpenTable. The hostess told us we needed to wait another 15-20 minutes: no problem for us, we went to Miami for a week-end of relaxation. She offers a glass of house wine (red or white) and we realize that they are giving a complimentary glass of wine to everybody who has to wait for a table: nice touch!

The place has a the look of a small Italian restaurant from Italy: very warm, concentrated in a way. The owner is walking around greeting people at tables and kissing on the cheeks every woman who leaves: he knows everybody, which means lot of regulars here, and that normally is a good sign.

In spite of the Italian name, owner and workers are mostly from South America. Just saying, it's not a negative thing. Actually it matter nothing as I saw already in other places that Southern-Americans (esp. from Argentina-Uruguay) can reproduce Italian dishes with great success.

We were seated and the waiter brought us a complimentary bruschetta; another point scored for Vialetto.

I ordered a bottle of Chianti La Maialina 2007, Classico Riserva: reasonably priced, pretty decent wine.

For appetizer my wife and I shared the Creamy Polenta with mushrooms and truffle oil and boy, that was spectacular. The mushrooms seemed to have seen a little wine during cooking time and the truffle oil added a subtle aromatic flavor that made the dish a nice start.

We then ordered the entree:
Risotto with short ribs for my wife and the Short Ribs entree for me which came with Champagne Risotto.

My wife's risotto was very good, well cooked, nice balance of flavors. My short ribs were tender, tasty but extremely huge!! I wished I could have taken the leftovers with me but I don't live in Miami, so I...ate the thing. Saying that afterward I was full is a serious understatement. But it was very tasty and very good. Light years better than - for instance - the short ribs I had at Rincon Argentino in Kendall.

As we were very full we passed on the dessert, ordered two espresso and then were about to order something to digest but they don't have liquors. That is a negative point especially for an Italian restaurant. Ever seen in Italy a restaurant with no "amaro" or "grappa" to digest? Anyway, a little nuisance, nothing major.

Service was good, attentive as it should be. Food was very good and we will be back again to try something else.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MoItaly

“Unparalleled Seafood specials - as it should being in Miami!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

I have been going here for 12 years and remember when it was 1/2 the size. The owner puts his heart into the menu...its a labor of love. Dishes like squid-ink risotto, osobucco, and carpaccio are world class. I think the wine list can be improved...but maybe this is intentional, you know, focus on the food! Overall, I really think this is my favorite restaurant in Miami. I like the size of the restaurant, the experienced wait staff, the evolving specials and desserts are top-notch.

• Visited March 2013
Aurora, IL
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

When you first arrive, you feel like you may have made a mistake. The lot is small and the entrance is not marked. But by the time you leave, you know you'll be back. Great food, great service! Limited wine selection, but the wines offered were excellent. Definitely going back!

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Brooklyn, New York
“Cozy place and delicious food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

The food was splendid. Ive never had such a good pasta. The tuna tarter was very fresh and tasty. All the food wad very fresh and homey as well as nicely presented. I came with my husband and we both loved the food. The caramel dessert was great.
The atmosphere was very calm and cozy. The owner kept checking up on us and making sure tjat every thing was going good.
My only complaint was that the rose on the table was not fresh and our waiter was not so sufficient but the other waiters covered for him, so we were not lacking.

Miami, Florida
“Small Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

I was here for a corporate event and was pleasantly suprised with the great service and very tasty food. The place is nice and cozy; great for a nice date. The food was great .

Visited October 2012