WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Orange You Glad You Came? Cindy Hutson's Grand Dame of the Mile.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ortanique on the Mile

Ortanique on the Mile
Reserve with OpenTable
Ortanique on the Mile is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 325 Restaurants in Coral Gables
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Salzedo & Miracle Mile (Coral Way)
Miami
“Orange You Glad You Came? Cindy Hutson's Grand Dame of the Mile.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Ortanique on the Mile is an excellent restaurant which sometimes gets overlooked in the rush to visit the latest New Kids on the Block (or Mile). Chef Cindy Hutson's "Cuisine of the Sun" is reflected everywhere at Ortanique- from the plates decorated with oranges, to the orange walls and curtains, to the orange slice garnishing the iced tea and the tropical (reggae) music playing in the background. I've been several times and it's always been good. We choose it for our daughter's graduation dinner, where my husband fell in love with the coffee and cocoa encrusted flat iron steak, which was perfectly cooked and juicy; others raved about the ceviche, which changes daily. I had the Jerk Chicken Penne Pasta that night ($17), a rich, creamy, spicy dish that is a generous portion. Yesterday, after finding out there was a 40 minute wait for Swine (New Kid on the Block), we went to Ortanique. My husband (a creature of habit) ordered a dish he'd enjoyed before- the pan seared Mahi Mahi ($25), which comes with Grouper, when in season. I opted for the Taste of the Sun Prix Fix ($20) with a choice of an asterix marked appetizer and entree. The three course (with dessert) is $25. I ordered the soup- roasted eggplant and tomato, and pan seared Hogfish Nicoise. While we waited, our efficient waiter brought us some delicious baguette slices with a pesto oil brushed on top. My husband had three slices. Our drinks were always quickly replinished. My soup was smooth, rich and satisfying, topped with croutons for a nice crunch. It took a while to get our entrees, but it was worth the wait. My husband's Mahi was marinated in teriaki, pan seared and placed atop an orange plantain-boniato mash, garnished with steamed juliennied chayote and carrots and came with a sauce of reduced orange liquer and lemon rum. Yum. My pan seared hog fish, was perfectly seasoned and cooked, with a lovely golden crust revealing white flaky fish. It came atop golden slices of potatoes, perfectly cooked green beans, cherry tomatoes and a Nicoise sauce of black olives, capers. There is outdoor seating available, and the white tablecloths, seperate dining levels and efficient service, makes this a good option for special occasions. The table next to us was celebrating a birthday and their Seared Ahi Tuna with Mango Salsa and Jasmine Rice looked delicious. Cindy Hutson's type of cooking kind of reminds me of the Mango Gang back in the eighties, incorporating Caribbean flavors, with tropical fruits and local seafood. It was a good idea then and still works today, so don't overlook the Old Grand Dame on the Mile, for all the New Kids on the Block.

• Visited March 2013

Burlington, Canada
“ortanique on the mile”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

A very funky, lively spot with first rate food on the miracle mile in Coral Gables. Best espresso I've had outside of Italy.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Huntsville, Alabama
“Very good - but not quite great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

In fairness I have to admit that we would have had an overall much better experience if it hadn't been for the book club meeting. We were sat right next to a large group who were meeting to discuss a recent book they had read. We wanted a romantic moment to end our weekend in Miami and it was immediately obvious that it wouldn't happen where we were seated. We asked the waitress if she could move us and she was very nice but she said she didn't know where she could move us to that was any quieter. That's when I noticed the concrete floors. The room just wasn't designed for intimate moments!

Having said that, the restaurant decor is fabulous and the food overall was good.

We had reservations but we had eaten a late lunch so we decided for once to skip appetizers and go straight to the main meal followed maybe by dessert. We both had the Ahi Tuna and it was fabulous. The wasabi mashed potatoes were perfect and the tuna was cooked to perfection.

We decided to keep in the Caribbean spirit of the meal and have a rum cocktail. I believe we had The Dupee because my husband loves rum punch, but it didn't taste like rum punch, it had almost an orange liqueur taste to it. We both finished ours, but their wasn't any wow in it.

For dessert, I'm a chocaholic and I was disappointed that the only chocolate they had was a mousse that the waitress wasn't too excited about. So I ended up with a vanilla bean creme brulee that wasn't anything special and my husband had cheesecake that he said was just OK.

So, if coming here you need to manage your expectations. If you want to have a fun dinner with some interesting food options I think this place could be great, especially with a noisy group of friends. There were several menu items that sounded interesting that I would love to try. But don't come here for a romantic evening, (especially on Sunday's when the book club is meeting in the middle of the restaurant) and stick to your tried and true favorites with cocktails and dessert.

Overall we liked this place but it won't go to the top of my "favorite restaurants" list.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Miami, Florida
“Colorful Ambiance wtih Delicious Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

For an interesting meal of Caribbean–inspired cuisine, check out this spot. Located in downtown Coral Gables, the setting is colorful and fun. Lunches and dinners are eclectic and have a different flair. The restaurant design will accommodate small groups of 8-12 with a feeling of privacy; limited outdoor seating is available and is very enjoyable on most Gables nights. Fish tacos and fried bananas for dessert are delicious and some appetizers are big enough for a meal. Great spot to order different items than your dining partners, so you can try more!

Visited November 2012
Danville, California
“Wow! Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Booked a reservation for a Monday night after a long day of travel for dinner with work colleagues based on rating in Tripadvisor, and we were not disappointed. Colorful dining room to lift any spirits. Creative cocktail menu to provide interesting refreshful combinations to your tastebuds. The menu proved to be extremely difficult because of too many choices. I have the Black group marinated in teriyaki and sesame. Yum Yum. Two of the party had the double porkchop. Amazing to look at and gigantic. The other roast pork loin. All got rave reviews. Appetizers a little small, but beautiful presenatation and like the cocktails, great explosions of taste. If you are in Coral Cables (or neraby in Miami), Ortanique is a must visit.

Visited February 2013