“Old world Spanish seafood”
Review of La Dorada

La Dorada
Ranked #40 of 352 Restaurants in Coral Gables
Cuisines: Seafood, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: La Dorada Coral Gbales is the First & Only Spanish Restaurant in USA to Receive "The International Five Star Diamond Award & "The Five Green Star Award" from The American Academy of Hospitality Sciences.
Reviewed January 19, 2013

The restaurant has white tablecloths, live music, and has an old world ambience. We were immediately hit with the aroma of seafood but in a good way. We had a bottle of Rioja wine for about $45. It was okay but not spectacular. They do have fantastic wines but you will have to spend more than what we did. Wait staff was pleasant and helpful. I asked if they would make Gambas ajilo (shrimp with garlic). It was fantastic and the best thing we ate in my opinion although the sea bass was also sublime. The salad we shared was the scallop salad in a warm vinaigrette on a bed of greens. The scallops wee sliced and sautéed and came with tomatoes (not that fresh) and cucumbers. The dressing was bland and not enough brightness to give it a wow factor. For our entree, we had the sea bass flown in from Spain. I don't know why they have to fly in seafood from Spain three times a week, it is Miami for goodness sakes and seems pretentious. For $35 a person to share the fish cooked in salt, it was good but not GREAT. Perhaps a more local fish would have been better and better value as well. I am skeptical about seafood flown in from Spain three times a week but it was good. For dessert we shared the apples in puff pastry with vanilla bean ice cream. It was good but not particularly memorable. I liked the restaurant and the food. If I go again, I will have to try the paella. All in all, about a 4.5 rating. It is expensive but overly when compared to the prices at the beach for half the quality and taste. Good date place or special occasion.

There are newer reviews for La Dorada

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I went here last year with my girlfriend it was such a nice place great food and service i'm going back again this year. 5 star

Reviewed November 29, 2012

We never miss a delicious seafood meal here at this consistenlty wonderful place. Brought a business client whomwas os impressed he wants to bring his Mother another time. Have what ever is the fresh fish of the day and expect lovely service.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

The food and service are top class
Value for money, although not cheap, is probably one of the best not only in Coral Gable but in Miami overall
Fish is always fresh and the chef there all the time to accomodate any need
Wine list is perfectly balance, with some expensive wines but also some good value for money, esp. The whites from Spain
We have been there already three times and never been disappointed
Last, the place is quite for a conversation arpund the table which, at least in Miami, is something quite unusual

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Three of us visited La Dorada last weekend for dinner, and although the service was terrific the food was overrated and definitely over priced. We had their fish special, two appetizers, a bottle of inexpensive wine and one dessert and the bill was $300. The cod fish was not boneless, which I thought for a restaurant of this category it should have been. Overall, ambience and service were great but the food was just ok.