“Wedding Celebration” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Miami, Florida
“Wedding Celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at the Westin Colonnade for just one night, but it was worth it. I was there for a wedding, and since I was part of the bridal party, we decided to rent a room for the night. I got there at 10am and spent most the day in the bridal suite. It was great! Very spacious, with fantastic views of the city. The wedding ceremony and reception were both at the hotel, and the location for each were spectacular. The staff are very friendly, and quick to respond with any help you may need. The complimentary water with cucumber and watermelon in the lobby was a plus. And I was able to add the valet charge to the room, which was convenient. The room I stayed in was huge. Regular king size bed, with a pool view. It was very spacious with two arm chairs, a big bathroom with separate sink area and big closet! The best part of the bathroom area is that it had a full length mirror!! You don't get that at most hotels, so I was very happy about it. I wasn't able to enjoy a lot of the hotel amenities, but in regards to the rooms, it was perfect.

Room Tip: The pool view rooms are spacious, and has great views. BUT it's a long walk down the hall. Would...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
WestinC0ralGables, Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Patsy C
Thank you for your kind review. I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and you liked your spacious room. I’m happy to hear that the wedding was spectacular. We hope to see you again very soon at the Westin Colonnade Hotel on your next visit.
Be Well,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Having stayed all over Miami the first positive of this hotel was its location, barely 15 minutes from the airport. Coral Gables is a very pleasant place to spend a few days: a place to escape from rather than rival the madness at SoBe.
When we arrived on a busy Friday night we were met at reception by Daniel Balzeca, who was an absolute delight: friendly but not overly intrusive, helpful and welcoming, he really made us feel welcome straight away. In general the standard of service was excellent with whoever was at front desk always happy to help and typically going above and beyond.
We had a split level suite on the fifth floor with a rickety spiral staircase separating the living area from the bedroom. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was compact but well appointed and we had a reasonable view over Miracle Mile.
Overall we enjoyed our three night stay: the building is impressive but the hotel itself does not quite have the wow factor to justify five stars (although it is great value for money). On service alone however you will struggle to find anywhere better in Miami.

• 5 of 5 stars
WestinC0ralGables, Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Calvadas,
I’m delighted to hear that you liked our Bi-Level Suite, and that the room was immaculate. I am glad that you got to experience what the City of Coral Gables has to offer, on our great location on Miracle Mile. We sincerely appreciate your comments on the level of service you received from our staff, which will be shared with our team. We hope to see you again very soon at the Westin Colonnade Hotel on your next visit.
Lakeland, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The hotel has a dated look but it's part of its charm. The room was really nice with balcony for early morning coffee and just relaxing. the location is excellent, close to US 1 that makes all attractions accessible. The concierge was very approachable and front desk staff were really helpful, Parking is a royal pain though, the only option pretty much for convenience is valet parking at $26 per night. the rooftop pool needs a little TLC but the area and view plus a few mini gazebo made a huge difference, it's a good hotel for girls to get away, and plenty of restaurants with different cuisine to satisfy any discerning foodie

Dear Nilofer S,
We want to thank you for your great comments regarding the Hotel and the service from staff. Our Valet parking prices are $26 per night which is reasonable for our area, and still lower than other hotels. We are looking forward to welcoming you when your travels bring you back to the Westin Coral Gables.
Be well.
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Westin for three nights in late March. Overall, the hotel was very nice, with a seating area and dual shower head in our room. We were also able to change from a room with two double beds to one with a king size bed at the last minute at no cost. I especially loved the $5 gift cards we received each day that we volunteered to go without the cleaning service. Our only issue was that, on the day we were supposed to check out, a woman working for the hotel knocked on our door at 8:30 am. When I answered, she looked at her clipboard and then said that we were checking out today, which I confirmed. (I believe that she was checking to see why we had not foregone cleaning services again, but it would have been nice if she had checked her records before waking us up). Then, at about 10:00 am, the same woman came knocking again and was asking when we would be checking out. The check out time was 12:00 pm, but for some reason, she urged my boyfriend to give her an idea of what time we would be checking out. We just did not appreciate feeling like we were being rushed out of our room when we had every right to wait until noon to check out.

Dear , floridagirl 1617
Thank you for writing a review regarding your recent stay at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables Hotel, and for taking the time to share your comments and concerns. I truly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced.
While we pride ourselves on guest service and customer satisfaction, we sometimes fall short of even our own expectations. Please be assured that we will take the necessary actions to ensure that we improve in the areas you mentioned. It is sometimes only through guest comments that we can be made aware of unacceptable situations and thus, take corrective measures.
We would be grateful if you would afford us another chance to prove ourselves to you when traveling again to Miami . Please feel free to call me directly in the future, as I would personally like to look after your arrangements to ensure that your stay is flawless.
Thank you so much for the gift of feedback
Be well and have an inspiring day.
Coral Bay, St. John
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

The hotel is dated, but the concierge was really nice and very knowledgable.We had some problems with WiFi and water pressure and the staff tried very hard to straighten out these issues.Of course the heavenly bed is always great.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear evan 139
We want to thank you for your great comments regarding our Staff and their service. I was so sorry to hear your stay was any less than our # 1 goal, which is to not only meet, but exceed your expectations. I’m glad that our staff went ahead and straightens out all issues. We are looking forward to welcoming you when your travels bring you back to the Westin Coral Gables.
Be well.
Wayzata, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We recently stayed at this property in one of the 2 story units. My husband and I were traveling with 2 18 year old boys and wanted to make sure that the upstairs unit had a door that closed for privacy. I called the hotel prior to reserving my room and asked to verify that there was in fact a door there. I was told there was a door. (No pictures of these rooms are on the website) Upon checking in.....no door. Why would someone purposely lie to a customer?

Ventilation in the room was poor. The room had ancient wiring, so old that the minibar was not plugged in. I asked the hotel engineer about that and his comment was that the mini bar was not designed to cool. (Another lie, I could see the cooling dial in the unit) Lighting was dim. We asked for an additional lamp and were told no.

I paid extra for breakfasts and internet. I was clear that no one took our breakfast vouchers in the dining room, so we wasted our extra cash on that "Upgrade" The internet was spotty at best, very slow and front desk staff really didn't know how to fix it.

Several days dirty towels were not replaced.

I asked the night manager why my room did not have the privacy door I requested. She apologized, was nice about it and asked "Is there anything I can do for you?" What was I supposed to say? I'm not a demanding person and in reality staff should have offered us some sort of rebate on our room cost, additional Starwood points or something. Why was I not offered something more than a generic how can I help statement?

I would have checked out but it was the busiest weekend of the year in Miami and everything was sold out. So we had to stay.

This is a worn and dated property, not at all like any other Westin I have stayed in.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WestinC0ralGables, Manager at The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear SusanB0706,
I want to thank you so much for your review and taking the time to share the gift of feedback regarding your most recent stay at the Westin Colonnade Coral Gables. I was so sorry to hear your stay was any less than our # 1 goal, which is to not only meet, but exceed your expectations. With your comments I will be going back to my management team so we can utilize to improve upon the service we strive to provide.
If your travels should ever return us to our hotel please feel free to contact me so I may personally see to the flawlessness of your stay.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This property has definitely seen better days. We used points to stay here for a friend's wedding in February. The hotel is easy to miss from the outside. Once inside, it is clear this was once a lovely and grand hotel. Our room felt dated, particularly the bathroom. Also, our room was not cleaned until the early evening, even though we vacated it early in the morning.

Our experience was okay, but we probably would not have stayed here if we had to pay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear neemz1,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your comments and concerns. I truly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. I have spoken with our Management Team and we will take the necessary action and utilize your shared experience to enhance our service. We value your loyalty very much, please reach out to me directly at rsoto@westincoralgables.com, I will personally ensure your next visit is a refreshing one.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coral Gables
Coconut Grove
Hampton By Hilton Miami-Coconut Grove/Coral Gables
Coconut Grove
Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami

Been to The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables? Share your experiences!