One of the highlights in the Colonnade is the excellent breakfast buffet, which compares favorably with Hyatt Diamond ones in my experience. Sadly, there is rumor they may shut the breakfast operation and return to outsourcing with they have done before to very poor results. I hope tyey don't do that, but if they do the Hyatt is only a block away.
The staff are invariably very helpful and greet guests by name when they return, and remember preferences too. That is 5-star service.
The rooms are mostly what one would expect. The two floor executive suites have a bizarre corkscrew staircase, and have no bath on the lower level. If I am upgraded to one of those I request a downgrade to the very nice deluxe rooms.
The single huge frustration is the porter/garage ripoff. The garage is separate from the hotel so one not only has prices more than twice as high as other locations within a block, but the porter who unloads your bags cannot take them to your room, and the one who takes them from your room cannot put them in your car. They are all nice, but if you have bags you will feel ripped off. This should be addressed, but it has been the same way for years.
Reception is on a mezzanine floor above the ground floor, up a narrow escalator. It should be on the ground floor with access to rooms directly from the ground floor.
Otherwise this is a delightful place to be. There is a new sparking wine bar open in teh lobby every afternoon, with cheese and crackers also. It is always good.
The hotel has a planned renovation coming soon so now is the time for us to beg then to fix those nagging problems we've had for years. Please join me begging them to keep the breakfast, ditch the two porter scam and parking scam, and make other good changes.
Rumor has it the new restaurant to replace the defunct Normans 180 and the forgettable predecessors will be Sushi Samba. I wish them good luck, but I cannot even imagine how bad a breakfast from them would be. While it probably won't be worse than Normans 180 was, it certainly will be a big step down.
I have stayed here through all the changes because of the consistent good service. I will defect if they drop breakfast and fail to fix the porter/garage situation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Colonnade Coral Gables, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel is centrally located in the Coral Gables business district. We offer a retreat from the rigors of travel, yet still convenient to business, shopping, and dining. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Starwood, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Colonnade Coral Gables, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables Hotel Coral Gables
- Westin Colonnade Coral Gables
- Westin Coral Gables
- Coral Gables Westin