“Lovely hotel in quiet Coral Gables--not for experiencing Miami”

Hotel Colonnade Coral Gables, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Coral Gables
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 4, 2013

This hotel is very pretty, and the rooms are clean. We had an accessible room (we did not request one), which provided plenty of room for our family of four, but it was not entirely practical (no tub, no closet). The furniture was a bit worn here and there, but overall, the room was lovely. The staff is very friendly, but the concierge did not always have the most relevant info. Twice, he had to look up information on the computer regarding local restaurants--aren't that many, so you would think he'd know something first-hand. I could have used my computer as well; I wanted his "expert" advice. Also, you should definitely rent a car if you want to get anywhere--the staff knew little about public transport, and taxis were not reliable when we were out somewhere. Despite having called the hotel to ask them to send a cab three times, we were left waiting at the University of Miami for over an hour and a half. We could have walked back to the hotel in that time, but no one at the hotel suggested that as an option. Essentially, this hotel is lovely, with a very beautiful pool area, in a fancy neighborhood with dress shops and restaurants, but not much else. Would recommend for a wedding or a night away for local residents. However, be aware that if you are staying there when there are weddings, it will be VERY noisy at night. We were near the elevator and the noise at night was constant. I must mention that the restaurant staff was wonderful!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinC0ralGables, Manager at Hotel Colonnade Coral Gables, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Dear proofed,
Thank you for choosing the Westin Colonnade Coral Gables as your escape during your recent trip to Coral Gables. I am so sorry to hear of the inconveniences you had while trying to get a taxi back to our hotel. Your gift of feedback is treasured and will be used towards improvement to provide our guests the most personal attention.
If your travels should ever return you to our property, please contact me directly at Rsoto@westincoralgables.com so I may personally ensure a flawless return.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We got a deal on priceline for $100. We took a cab from airport for $18 and went without a car. If you enjoy shopping and nightclubs, its a good spot to stay. The neighborhood outside Miracle Mile was quiet and safe, we enjoyed walking around. We got a free upgrade to a two-level suite which was really cool and we very much enjoyed. The pool and whirlpool were not heated, probably because it is hot most of the year. No freebies, but a nice room for a night.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinC0ralGables, Manager at Hotel Colonnade Coral Gables, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear anjapanda,
We thank you for your kind review regarding our Westin Colonnade Hotel. I’m glad that you enjoyed the upgrade to the Bi-Level Suite. Our Team takes pride in ensuring our guests are able to relax and unwind in our beautiful accommodations while enjoying all that the Coral Gables area has to offer. We invite you to join us again on your next trip to Miami.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We've stayed at the Westin Colonnade five times and always find it a wonderful experience. The beds are dreamy-comfortable, the staff really nice, the food good .... and we love the location for both business and pleasure travel.

We really enjoy Tarpon Bend Restaurant just down the street, productions at the Miracle Theater, movies and art at the Coral Gables Museum, Books & Books (where on one night we were there a wonderful jazz band played in the courtyard as we enjoyed a late-night snack and drink).

The mettle of the staff was tested on our last visit (mid-January 2013) when I left my iPad in the room. I didn't realize it was missing until we were just boarding flight home. Given the quality of the staff, I knew it would be safe.

Immediately upon my realization I had left it behind, my husband called the hotel spoke with Rachel Guerra at the front desk, who coordinated with housekeeping supervisor Maggie Flores, to locate my iPad and ship it back to us. We live outside the US and provided our address and our FedEx account # ... they did the rest and were as gracious and efficient as could be. My iPad is safely home with me now.

My husband has business in Miami in February and has booked a week at the Westin Colonnade. I will join him his last two nights there. We look forward to our sixth stay.

PS Four-legged guests are welcome, too!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PlanetBarbados
WestinC0ralGables, Manager at Hotel Colonnade Coral Gables, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear PlanetBarbados,
Thank you for your review, and the nice comments regarding our great staff, especially Rachel Guerra and Maggie Flores, I will pass the information to our Management team. I’m pleased to hear that your iPad was recovered and returned to you efficiently. I’m glad you had a pleasant stay with us, and enjoyed our proximity to the many restaurants and shops. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon if your travels brings you to the Coral Gables Area.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We loved this hotel and will stay there again when we go to Miami. It is close to the airport and located right by the Miracle Mile. We found lots of fun bars and great restaurants within a couple of blocks of the hotel. The staff was great to deal with and very helpful. The workout facility and outdoor pool were great. Our room had a small balcony which was a bonus. We'll be back!

1  Thank CLbeerguy

Dear CLbeerguy,
Thank you for your kind review. We appreciate your comments on the level of service you received from our staff. I’m glad you had a nice stay with us and enjoyed our proximity to the many restaurants and shops. We look forward to your next stay here at the Westin Colonnade Coral gables.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

We spent the weekend at this hotel looking for a nice, comfortable place to stay while visiting for a University of Miami vs University of Maryland Basketball game...the place was wonderful!
The welcome from the Valet and Front Desk was warm - making you feel like they were expecting you and looking forward to your stay. All employees we came in contact with were helpful and seemed to truly understand what hospitality is all about. Starwood does a great job in training their staff.
Although there were weddings throughout the weekend - they were not at all intrusive with the non-wedding guests (they did a lovely job!).
Next time in Coral Gables, we will definitely stay at the Westin Colonnade!

Dear dsherm1,
We want to thank you for your great comments regarding the Hotel and the service from our staff, which will be shared with our team. We hope to see you again very soon at the Westin Colonnade Hotel on your next visit.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables was awesome! The front desk staff was helpful and friendly the concierge was attentive - but not too much. The rooms were awesome - sitting room downstairs and then a spiral staircase up to the sleeping area and bathroom - I felt like a princess! I will stay here whenever I have a trip to Miami - I was sorry to only have the room booked for one night this weekend!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Kim1028
Thank you for your kind review about our customer service and our front desk staff. I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your Bi- Level suite. We look forward to make your next visit with us a memorable one. We hope to see you again very soon at the Westin Colonnade Hotel.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

I give the staff commendations for good service, but the hotel lobby, restaurant and rooms were too cold. Top that off with a luke warm shower and it wasn't a pleasant stay. Housekeeping staff were quite loud in the hallway and knocked on the door twice in the morning before we checked out. Internet connection was inconsistent.

The Front Desk staff, parking and concierge were all good, courteous and polite. Our bill was adjusted for the lack of hot water and sporadic internet connection.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinC0ralGables, Manager at Hotel Colonnade Coral Gables, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear Debannie,
I want to thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and for your kind comments about our Front Desk, Parking and Concierge staff. I’m so sorry to hear that your stay was any less than our # 1 goal, which is to not only meet, but exceed your expectations. With your comments I will be going back to my management team so we can utilize to improve upon the service we strive to provide.
If your travels should ever return us to our hotel please feel free to contact me at rsoto@westincoralgables.com so I may personally see to the flawlessness of your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coral Gables
Coconut Grove
The Mutiny Hotel
The Mutiny Hotel
#20 of 128 in Miami

Been to Hotel Colonnade Coral Gables, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel? Share your experiences!